Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did check my emails, funny the one I use most of the time has no breaches but the one I use occasionally had 3 breaches. I don’t consider them serious. It’s one reason why I don’t like putting sensitive information when registering, such as date of birth, don’t know why the WAM asks for it.
IMHO, NEVER enter your correct DOB unless it's for a bank or applying for credit or similar (bus pass anyone?)
The muppets at our local council even want it when booking bulky waste collection, the fact this request contravenes GDPR regulations doesn't bother them as of course they consider themselves above the law!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMHO, NEVER enter your correct DOB unless it's for a bank or applying for credit or similar (bus pass anyone?)
The muppets at our local council even want it when booking bulky waste collection, the fact this request contravenes GDPR regulations doesn't bother them as of course they consider themselves above the law!
Just surprise on their part that someone as young and fit as you would need stuff collected mate :ROFLMAO:

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry to say, I’ve just been scammed by this person for the £900 I paid for ‘his‘ Croft 25R.

His forum name currently is: vanillaman

And he goes by the name Michael Brooks in his emails, same as the above story.

I was a bit concerned initially as it was a PM out of the blue but saw he’d made some posts and he sent me a few images of the the item with a piece of paper saying ‘Hifiwigwam 14/3/23‘ which I’d asked for.

I sent £900 to a bank account apparently in his wife’s name ‘Sarah Brooks’ but it bounced back. It was a revolut account. He then gave me a Santander account in her name which paid in successfully. That was a couple of days ago. Since then there been no response to email PMs.

Just wanted to warn people here.

I sent the money via bank transfer so no idea if there’s any recourse.

I just checked some suspicious PMs I received last Summer about a Luxman pre I was after and noticed the similarity in wording and language. Seems this scammer has been active here for a while.

BarefootGuy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2021
I'm quite new to this forum, and it is sad to see two reports of scamming appear on the same day, one actual and one near miss. My impression of visiting the WAM almost daily for several weeks is that the regular posters here have formed a thriving community based not only on a shared interest in music and high fidelity audio reproduction, but also on trust, mutual respect (although some threads can get a little heated, which is only natural), and in many cases, actual friendship, both online and in person. But the individuals who make up what I would call "the heart of the WAM" are not the only ones here. Some, like me, are new, with no real reputation to back us up, and others may just be lurking. And then we have potential scammers.

I have bought a few items from the classified myselfs, but must confess that I have only bought from people, and would only buy from people, who are clearly longstanding and trustworthy members of the community, with Wammer status or above. All these transactions were very friendly and pleasant and I have been happy with all the items I bought. I'd be very concerned buying from someone with little or no history, even though I myself would fall into that category. I wouldn't be offended if people treated me in the same way if I post something for sale here. It's perfectly reasonable to me.

I hope you can get your money back @Nagraboy ... sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Best wishes to you all. Be safe out there...

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As was mentioned in an earlier post quite a lot of forum users now are getting the seller, if new on a site, to send the item first.
And why does the site not introduce a trading feedback system. Not full proof but cannot do any harm. Everything you can learn of a seller or buyer is a bonus.

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: karlsushi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles