SET amp power consumption

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking at the power specs for several SET amps. They typically list 250-280w max for 18-25w output. This 'max', is it a uniform consumption regardless of my volume level setting? Or is it possible, when I'm listening to music at lowish sound levels, the amp is actually consuming less than its maximum wattage rating?

:?

Pray enlighten.

SS

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
questions for senior toobheads with vastly more experience...

KT88, EL34/6CA7, 300B, and 845

Which of these reproduce orchestral strings and woodwind the nicest?

SS

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Virtually none of the SET integrateds I'm looking at offer pre-outs or main-in sockets.

In the insane interest of future upgrades( :wall: ), would I be better off considering SET power amps instead so I can still change or improve the overall sound by swapping toob preamps?

SS

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes. Much better.

Then I would choose speakers that posess the strengths I am after, then choose an amp that has sufficient power and control to work those speakers correctly, then worry about output valve sonics. :)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Perhaps I should add that if the total budget is modest (sub £1k for example) you moght do better to buy and swap integrateds. The economies of production at this end of the budget scale mean compromises in PSU, casing, and component costs might make the overall quality of an integrated better and you will not have to add the worry of pre - power synergy.

But at the higher end of the budget scale separates are the way to go IMO, just for flexibility in system matching

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ta James. I would have about 3 grand to throw away, so it seems like SET separates are the way to go.

I am coming to reckon SET integrateds without pre-outs or main-ins aren't future-proof. Unless their inherent sound quality is that good that it doesn't warrant upgrading!!!

SS

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agreed. Also if you are happy with source and speakers (which are the most variable sounding components) then you get much more flexibility in system matching with separate pre and power amps. Also at this kind of expenditure kep an open mind for push pull tube power amps. Their sound is different to SETs but they have undoubted strengths in drive and control. Also a p/p amp around £2k second hand is a top performer whereas you're in middle range SET territory. I am thinking Mac 275, a damn fine amp; Bomb proof and depreciation proof to boot :^

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I already got two PP toob amps, James, and very superb they are. I am looking to add a SET amp and then I would be a complete audiophool. The only amp I would still be without is a Class D but I don't need such a donkey. :p

cheerSS

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Cool. Do I wish all SET amps had that consumption rating. :? Can the Zen drive my Tannoys tho', Tannoyboy? ;-)

SS
Rolling back the years there :zip:

No idea, Dave Whitter used to rate the Zen with his Prestige ones.

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Ta James. I would have about 3 grand to throw away, so it seems like SET separates are the way to go. I am coming to reckon SET integrateds without pre-outs or main-ins aren't future-proof. Unless their inherent sound quality is that good that it doesn't warrant upgrading!!!

SS
SS, the Audio Note Oto SE has pre-outs. Not sure what you mean by main-ins? Is that so you can connect a different pre and bypass the onboard pre? If so, it wouldnt take much to configure the Oto as such - literally just moving three wires about two inches.

The Oto SE sounds sublime when partnered with appropriate speakers and although rated at only 10watts, subjectively, it seems much much more powerful than my 50w class D amp. It produces music with much more body and the bass is fuller and more controlled - as well as just sounding more "right".

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi, not read the thread yet but just a quick point.

Some Oto SE's do have pre-outs but not all, mine doesn't for example.

Something to check for specifically if you were interested in that model. :)

Cheers

Steve

P.S. I really like mine. :love:

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi, not read the thread yet but just a quick point.Some Oto SE's do have pre-outs but not all, mine doesn't for example.

Something to check for specifically if you were interested in that model. :)

Cheers

Steve

P.S. I really like mine. :love:
Very cheap and easy to install pre-outs Steve if you ever wanted them so I wouldnt let it hold anyone back from buying one of these

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
For £3k, you could wait for a pair of Unison Smart 845 monoblocks to come up. They are rare, but often go for well under that. Odd, really, as the S8 and S9 go for the same kinda money, despite being considerably lower down the range.

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good post by AmDismal. IOf you are going to run those Tanoys off a SET then a good quality SET is the order of the day. I've used both a 300b SET (NAF 18W) and a 211 SET (AirTight) to goood effect. Lower powered SETs would struglle with Tanoys (IMHO). Also worth considering the Icon Audio 845/805 amps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles