• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Shock and awe.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
Looking on eBay on Saturday, and saw a Denon/Tannoy system

which for some reason caught my eye, an F07 amp, cassette,cd and tuner, with a pair of Tannoy Mercury M3's, all in original packaging and near mint. It ended, failing to meet the reserve,so I emailed the seller asking how much they wanted for it cash on collection, the answer came back £150!!! So on Sunday I trolled up to North Lincolnshire(pain in the arse) and picked it up, thinking I could sell it on and make a few quid. Well I have just set it up, using the shite interconnects supplied and some cheap speaker cable I had lying about, the speakers are just sat on the floor, no spikes. I popped in a SRV cd, not expecting a lot, bugger me it sounds really, really good.....no I cant beleive it either, has really got me thinking though.

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
The F07 is an absolute classic Denon and they have a big follower in far east. I have a disc cleaner/magnatiser cd for that model, I will let you have it for nothing just remind me at the bake off.

johnniebaby

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2006
Midlands
AKA
John
Thanks OB, I am amazed at the sound this thing is putting out.:shock:I am going to hook it up to the Neats tomorrow:nerd:

G

johnniebaby wrote:

Looking on eBay on Saturday, and saw a Denon/Tannoy systemwhich for some reason caught my eye, an F07 amp, cassette,cd and tuner, with a pair of Tannoy Mercury M3's, all in original packaging and near mint. It ended, failing to meet the reserve,so I emailed the seller asking how much they wanted for it cash on collection, the answer came back £150!!! So on Sunday I trolled up to North Lincolnshire(pain in the arse) and picked it up, thinking I could sell it on and make a few quid. Well I have just set it up, using the shite interconnects supplied and some cheap speaker cable I had lying about, the speakers are just sat on the floor, no spikes. I popped in a SRV cd, not expecting a lot, bugger me it sounds really, really good.....no I cant beleive it either, has really got me thinking though.
You don't want to think too much in this game . It really fugs you up.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The more I listen to kit the more I realise, price often has little to do with sound quality.

JPG

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Bristol
AKA
James
I would be interested to see what you think about it with the neats. Also, what the Tannoys sound like through your main system- perhaps it is the speakers that you like. 'Cos all amps sound the same. :minikiev:

PeteVid

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
South East London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's all about expectations Johnniebaby, you had none and it exceeded them leaving you to enjoy the music and the system, made all the sweeter by the fact that you paid next to nothing (relatively).

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JPG wrote:

I would be interested to see what you think about it with the neats. Also, what the Tannoys sound like through your main system- perhaps it is the speakers that you like. 'Cos all amps sound the same. :minikiev:
:dunno:glad I don't have your ears - amplifiers do sound different. If you want you can come round to mine and i will put the girls Pioneer A400 on then my Hafler with the Pioneer as a pre then with the Audio Research as the pre through the A400 then through the hafler.

If you cannot hear the difference then you can save yourself a fortune and buy one of those music centre thingies from Curries :nerd:

A lot will depend on the loudspeakers you are using as some loudspeakers will not show up the differences I guess.

And for anyone out there still using Gale GS401s they sound far better with a solid state - don't ask me why perhaps it is something about the impedance load. We found that out years ago when we first got the Ear 509s in and the Gales just did not sing with them the way they did with the Hafler, Levinson and Threshold amps we had in at the time, whereas with the Yamaha NS1000s the Ears blew the trannies away.

Uzzy

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
uzzy wrote:

If you cannot hear the difference then you can save yourself a fortune and buy one of those music centre thingies from Curries :nerd:Uzzy
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif

JPG

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2007
Bristol
AKA
James
Sorry I was not clear enough- 'twas a joke. I have heard the difference between amps, although I have not heard many amps at all.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HiFiWigWam wrote:

The more I listen to kit the more I realise, price often has little to do with sound quality.
Damn right - i've heard some systems costingbetween £1 and £3kthat have been most enjoyable andothers upwards of £30k that have been quite boring and disappointing.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:
Damn right - i've heard some systems costingbetween £1 and £3kthat have been most enjoyable andothers upwards of £30k that have been quite boring and disappointing.
I seem to notice this as well. Not sure if it's down to expectations. Also whenever you get to hear a demo of the expensive stuff it always almost with the world's most dull music. Do think with all that expensive gear Branko will ever play Dinosaur Jr at an Audiofreaks hifi show demo ?

When ever I read about silly priced stuff the person reviewing it always needs to be careful of cables, isoloation, placement, the wind coming from the west not the east, all sorts of weird things to try and get the best out of it.

The cheaper stuff just seems to be able to be plonked down, switched on and enjoyed.

Hifi is a funny old game some times.

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
I think they all come down to Sinergy (can't spell but I think you guys know what I mean). The midrange system that work well together should sound better than Hi-end gears that badly put together.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ob1971 wrote:

I think they all come down to Sinergy (can't spell but I think you guys know what I mean). The midrange system that work well together should sound better than Hi-end gears that badly put together.
:goodone:You have hit the nail on the head.

Carefully matched components to ensure they work well together is the key.

The Mags could never answer that one in the late 70s early 80s when they were telling everyone to buy a linn and put anything on the end of it and pound for pound it would sound better. Of course it didn't and loads of people used to write in and say why does my pals Rega Sugden A48 and a pair of missions orcelefs sound better than my Linn NAD 3020 and some cheapo loudpseakers. The magazines had no answer.

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
uzzy wrote:

ob1971 wrote:

The Mags could never answer that one in the late 70s early 80s when they were telling everyone to buy a linn and put anything on the end of it and pound for pound it would sound better. Of course it didn't and loads of people used to write in and say why does my pals Rega Sugden A48 and a pair of missions orcelefs sound better than my Linn NAD 3020 and some cheapo loudpseakers. The magazines had no answer.
You have got a good memmory Uzzy! I was only a little boy in the late 70s
tongue.png
. I have a bad news (for my wife and my wallet) I am really look into buy a pair of A.R.T.! The more I read about them the more temting I am!

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ob1971 wrote:

uzzy wrote:
ob1971 wrote:

You have got a good memmory Uzzy! I was only a little boy in the late 70s
tongue.png
. I have a bad news (for my wife and my wallet) I am really look into buy a pair of A.R.T.! The more I read about them the more temting I am!
Its your ears that are the most important you need to listen and see if they are for you (and the wife) fortunately my wife loved them and told me we were having a pair.

Read the reviews and then get a good listen - get the phone number of the web site and chat to Derek and Ramsay as well. In my experience they are lovely blokes.

Have fun

Uzzy

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

HiFiWigWam wrote:
It's just a shame you fell in love with such an expensive CD player.
biggrin.png

Don't blame you by the way. Luvverly bit of kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel