SME 1V Tonearm Service

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the lively input everyone and please can we all keep it civil, we don't need to fall out with each other over a tonearm question. Opinions will and do vary but each to their own in the end and for me it's probably worth getting the SME 1V serviced and rewired then just enjoy it for many years on the Oracle Delphi turntable.

It's got nothing to do with vanity etc, simply that I can and will go ahead with my investment for the future and end up with a virtually new SME 1V with latest spec bearing same as V and better internal wiring and then simply enjoy.

Or sell it and put the money towards buying a V?

Also be careful about what the 'better' internal wiring. The earlier 309's and IVs used OCC copper wiring, the later and V's used silver plated OCC. I prefer copper, so its not so much about whats better, more what you prefer.

My V cost £1900 and is in absolute mint condition.

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the lively input everyone and please can we all keep it civil, we don't need to fall out with each other over a tonearm question. Opinions will and do vary but each to their own in the end and for me it's probably worth getting the SME 1V serviced and rewired then just enjoy it for many years on the Oracle Delphi turntable.

It's got nothing to do with vanity etc, simply that I can and will go ahead with my investment for the future and end up with a virtually new SME 1V with latest spec bearing same as V and better internal wiring and then simply enjoy.
As long as you're happy with what you decide that's what matters :cool:

Reactions: Tarzan

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently bought an SME 1V tonearm on here and although it looks good and not set it up yet I wondered if it is worth getting it rewired internally. I spoke to SME and they can do a rewire at around £600 however a full rebuild and rewire is around £1000 and it should be completely rebuilt then and any new replaced parts included etc so in effect a new arm.

Although it is a lot to pay but I was thinking about the latter option as SME do not sell the 1V or V arms on their own now so making them that bit rarer in a sense. I just thought I would ask what the general views were because I have a boxed Oracle Delphi MK V turntable sitting here that the SME arms are supposed to work very well with.
put the oracle on eBay and ill buy it if I manage to sell my palmer 3 & SME IV, or if you want a palmer 3 & SME IV id do a strait swap if you could deliver and collect .

Last edited:

Motortown review

Wammer
Nov 9, 2020
You see some ropey SME arms on fleebay, if you can get them at the right price and send them to SME, I'm sure it could work out financially viable and a good deal.

Reactions: mac72

hexx

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2015
London
AKA
pav
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If there is no play in the bearings then it should be fine. If you're not sure then take it to a decent SME dealer for advice (if you're able). Whilst it's no guarantee I personally would have thought that (a) an owner of a IV would have looked after it and (b) would only off load it for something better or giving up TTs or (c) its trashed and then it should be pretty obvious.

Re: the rewiring I assume that you provide the loom for them to wire up. The problem I see with this is that unless you know the cable is an upgrade and you're happy with how it sounds then its an expensive punt. Of course you could always piggy back the new cable on the outside of the arm setup the arm with the extra mass and downforce to see if you like the sound before commiting it to SME.
a) - yes, loved it to bits
b) - with V
c) - see a

hexx

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2015
London
AKA
pav
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How are you finding the V over the IV Hexx?
On my TT (Gyro SE) it seems to have more defined and deeper lower frequencies and produces wider sound stage. Also seems tiny bit more neutral. I wouldn't call it night and day difference, differences are there but I'd say that IV does more than 90% of what V does.

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On my TT (Gyro SE) it seems to have more defined and deeper lower frequencies and produces wider sound stage. Also seems tiny bit more neutral. I wouldn't call it night and day difference, differences are there but I'd say that IV does more than 90% of what V does.

In my experience the V is being held back by the Gyro (but it's been a long time since I had mine so not sure about the improvements over time that Michell has made - if any). But if your goal is to upgrade the Gyro and keep the V then I think it's a good strategy.

As a side note have you tried taking off the spring covers on the Gyro? If not give a go, nothing to lose.

Oh and of course the most important question is are you happy with the upgrade?

hexx

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2015
London
AKA
pav
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my experience the V is being held back by the Gyro (but it's been a long time since I had mine so not sure about the improvements over time that Michell has made - if any). But if your goal is to upgrade the Gyro and keep the V then I think it's a good strategy.

As a side note have you tried taking off the spring covers on the Gyro? If not give a go, nothing to lose.

Oh and of course the most important question is are you happy with the upgrade?
Yes, happy with the upgrade. I’m using different suspension on my TT which I like more than the supplied one.

I didn’t plan to get V as I was happy with IV but a recently serviced V for good price appeared so decided to try it out.

Reactions: The_Krell

Jag

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Apr 29, 2010
Rustington
AKA
Jag
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Jag, just leave the Mechanic on it. I prefer mine to my IV. As coincidence it came off Delphi mk 3.
I may well just put the Mechanic onto the Oracle Delphi, a local Wammer has offered to help set up the turntable etc so might just do that.

Reactions: divedeepdog

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had my SME V since 1991 and I sent it off to be serviced about 5 years ago - I even bought a new box and packaging for a small amount extra on the service. I suspect the bearings are better quality now than when the arm was first made, and so my arm is probably better now than when it was new.
They no longer sell boxes , I had an SME IV last year that was marked and I was going to send it for a service as they refinish the arm as part of the service, the service cost is now over £900 plus postage each way, I did not have the original box /packaging. I asked if I had it serviced could I buy a box so it would come back unmarked and spending best part of £1000 on an arm I would have liked to have an original box, they refused to sell me one outright NO.

• Sad
Reactions: uzzy and lazycat

Wine man forthe County

Wine man forthe County
Wammer
Apr 23, 2019
York
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They no longer sell boxes , I had an SME IV last year that was marked and I was going to send it for a service as they refinish the arm as part of the service, the service cost is now over £900 plus postage each way, I did not have the original box /packaging. I asked if I had it serviced could I buy a box so it would come back unmarked and spending best part of £1000 on an arm I would have liked to have an original box, they refused to sell me one outright NO.
Hi Martin. I do have box for a IV, if you are still considering a service I would be willing to loan it to you for the purpose. I live out in Tadcaster if you're ever that far inland.🙂 Alternatively I could post it to you if needs must. Let me know if this is of interest.
FWIW the new arm tube fitted with the service had a revised & more resilient finish than my old 80's variant.

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Martin. I do have box for a IV, if you are still considering a service I would be willing to loan it to you for the purpose. I live out in Tadcaster if you're ever that far inland.🙂 Alternatively I could post it to you if needs must. Let me know if this is of interest.
FWIW the new arm tube fitted with the service had a revised & more resilient finish than my old 80's variant.
Thanks I sold it and purchased a mint one with a box , I lost initially but it was cheaper in the long run then having it serviced so all good, but many thanks for your kind offer it is much appreciated.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I took a friends IV in a few years ago and he is convinced he received in return a brand new arm,he inspected every bit and it all looked new to him. His arm had some slight issues and was of unkown providence but he remains adamant, won't tell me how much he paid tho.
Pity they've gone this way as it used to be a nice short trip thro the Sussex countryside to see them .

This is what l thought when they returned my V after a service- sounded better than l remembered pre service.

Reactions: I.D.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.