Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are buying a late pair of the first generation Snell C loudspeakers, in Light Oak finish. These have the rear tweeter (non adjustable) and front port.

I have owned them since late 2013. They were owned by three other wammers before me and one other non-wammer before that since they were new in 1985/1986. Condition is truly excellent, these speakers have been looked after. The only point of concern with this model is that the woofers suffered from foam rot. Previous owner Tony Whittle has replaced the originals in these speakers with new correct Snell factory-supplied drivers so they are now as good as you will ever find.

I haven't taken many pics of them myself but here are couple, showing them in use with the AI 2nd Audio amps and with the Pass Labs Aleph3:

P1010057_zps5339f602.jpg

WP_000077_zps98a51146.jpg

With Tony's permission, these pics from 2012 clearly show the outstanding and still unchanged condition of the speakers:

_9081995.jpg

_9081992.jpg

_9081988.jpg

Having enjoyed the smaller Snells and various related AudioNote speakers that I'd heard over the years, I wanted to try the Snell "thing" for myself. I used the following amps : Audio Innovations 2nd Audio monoblocks, Pass Labs Aleph 3 and a BAT VK-60. Each combination had its own character and all three sounded excellent. These may be 30 year old speakers but they have tremendous openness, presence, vitality and wallop. They are remarkably transparent and coherent, while pulling off the neat trick of sounding nothing like a "hifi". They are very organic and the absolute opposite of sterile, you can hear and feel the music breathe.

Other people seem to like them too. Here is a wam review of Snell Cs and there is another here.

So if they are so good, why am I selling? I don't need four pairs of loudspeakers and the choice was to keep either these or a pair of GRFs. The Tannoys won but it wasn't a clearcut decision and there are areas where the Snells are clearly ahead, I will miss them. There will be a pair of LS3/5a for sale soon too.

Wam provenance:

First sale on the wam in 2012

Sale to me in 2013

A number of experienced wammers were kind enough to comment in those threads that this pair of speakers is tip-top, not sure that will be possible this time round with the new classifieds regs :)

Some general Snell info here.

Will they fit your room/system/life?

Dimensions: 113cm x 38cm x 33cm. They are a relatively benign amplifier load, nominally 4ohm, and sensitivity is 90dB. With the amps I used, 15wpc was just enough in a 5m x 4m room for reasonable levels and 60wpc is ample. They are not overly fussy re positioning but 30cm from the rear wall works ok, 50cm is better. Your room is different to mine though so YMMV. Not everybody likes the look, I quite like their rugged charm... :D

Practical stuff:

I am in central Scotland and auditions are welcome, collection ideal. If you don't fancy the drive but are not far away and the right deal is done, I might consider delivering the speakers myself. Otherwise it'll have to be a pallet courier at your expense. This is how they came to me from St Albans and I have kept the packaging so it should be easy enough to ensure their safe onward travel.

Photo0413_zpsxfcauf60.jpg

SOLD

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of the questions so far have been about shipping cost. The pallet shipping from St Albans to me cost £99.94 and was booked through pallet online who supplied the pallet. That was two years ago so rates may be different now but it does give a ballpark figure.

Obviously this is a not inconsiderable additional cost. Try me with an offer.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very rare to see a pair in this condition, and an awesome speaker too. These need to stay in the tent me thinks.

It'd be great to hear these at Scalford.

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another question I've been asked: Yes, I would hang onto these for a while (weeks) if there was a likelihood of a wam taxi run being organised.

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Today's question: No, I am not going to Scalford this year but I would be happy to coordinate with anyone from the North who is and who would be willing to transport these fine speakers :D

the_bat

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2009
Reading
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Nick

Could you give me a shipping inclusive price?

I'm definitely interested.

Alan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles