Wammer
Oct 12, 2014
London
AKA
NC
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cambridge Azur 851n Network Streamer / Digital Pre-amp

Good condition unit, bought from eBay for £899 earlier in the year to bypass the pre and try the XLR directly to my ARC Ref 75 amp. I have to say it sounds very very good (at 1/10th the cost of the ARC), but not as good as my NAIM.  In very good condition, with remote and original box.  it works perfectly with digital, USB and ethernet inputs. Can be used as both a streamer and a digital preamp as it has digital inputs.

Please note I cannot get the wifi to work.  These streamers come with a seperate Wifi dongle so maybe this is the problem (or maybe a user error) and might be an easy fix.  Either way most serious users would I presume go wired for best quality.

Reflecting the wifi uncertainty I am asking £675, which would make this a serious bargain for anyone with a wired setup, or more technical savvy than me.

Collection from Greenwich London or posted at cost.

IMG_2615 (1).jpeg

IMG_2624 (1).jpeg

IMG_2622 (1).jpeg

IMG_2628.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have one of these. It's very good indeed and sounds awesome!!

I've never used (and never would use) WiFi as mine is plugged straight into my router. An Ethernet cable of any length can be picked up for peanuts, so the description given is a non-issue in my book...

Therefore, this is an absolute stone cold bargain for someone!!!

GLWS. This should not hang around.

Ps - I know @Jules_S was after one of these, but may have already sorted something.

Tazman46

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2012
Sandhurst
AKA
Trev
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes normal HDs are fine but it wont recognise solid state drives .
I use a 1TB SSD with no problem on mine but don’t be fooled into thinking it will work any faster, it won’t. Love my 851, great unit and at that price, a total bargain, if it was silver I may even have had it myself!

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a 1TB SSD with no problem
Oh right mine wont work I'll contact Cambridge , it's quiet that's why I want to use one .

Apologies to the OP for going off track ,GLWTS .

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gah! I have no manner of luck at the moment with getting hold of one of these. The first one I bought didn't arrive thanks to the couriers losing it (got my money back) and now I've just been lumbered with a £600 repair bill for the car, how typical is that? This would have been perfect for me too.

GLWS, I'm sure it won't hang around long

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Please note I cannot get the wifi to work.  These streamers come with a seperate Wifi dongle so maybe this is the problem (or maybe a user error) and might be an easy fix.  Either way most serious users would I presume go wired for best quality.
Are you sure that is the correct WiFi dongle for the 851N.

I have an 851N and mine came pre fitted with a micro USB dongle not the antenna type shown in the picture.

Unless Cambridge have changed the design of the dongle they supply that could be the problem with connecting to WiFi. 

krellmad

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 21, 2012
County Durham
AKA
Vince
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's correct, the usb dongle supplied is not for wireless. You can buy a suitable wi fi dongle for around £70 from Richer Sounds, if I remember right.

This is a gift at the price.

Glws

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is the wireless dongle that comes pre fitted in the wireless USB slot on the 851N as per the 851N user manual. It is made by Edimax. It looks to me as if a previous owner has lost the original and  just bought a generic USB antenna which doesn't work with the 851N.

I've come across this before where a piece of equipment needs a specific USB dongle to work.

The USB dongle sold by Richer Sounds as mentioned by Krellmad, is the BT100 which is a Bluetooth dongle not a WiFi dongle

851N WiFi Dongle.jpg

Reactions: Bazzer

McFloyd

New Wammer
Sep 10, 2020
Up North
AKA
McPink
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is the wireless dongle that comes pre fitted in the wireless USB slot on the 851N as per the 851N user manual. It is made by Edimax. It looks to me as if a previous owner has lost the original and  just bought a generic USB antenna which doesn't work with the 851N.

I've come across this before where a piece of equipment needs a specific USB dongle to work.

The USB dongle sold by Richer Sounds as mentioned by Krellmad, is the BT100 which is a Bluetooth dongle not a WiFi dongle

Glen, the wifi dongle you've pictured here is what came with my V2, and I assume would work perfectly well. I assume because, as others have stated you generally use these hardwired which is how I use my V2. I'm seriously tempted to buy this as an upgrade... 

OP, are you in a position to ship? 

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glen, the wifi dongle you've pictured here is what came with my V2, and I assume would work perfectly well.
You are correct. The dongles are the same for both the V2 and 851N.

I upgraded from  a V2 (which is excellent ) to a 851N and can assure you it is a very worthwhile step up.

Plus at the price the OP is asking an absolute bargain. Less than half the price of a new one.

Grab it before someone else does.

You won't be disappointed.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glen, the wifi dongle you've pictured here is what came with my V2, and I assume would work perfectly well. I assume because, as others have stated you generally use these hardwired which is how I use my V2. I'm seriously tempted to buy this as an upgrade... 

OP, are you in a position to ship? 
Here we go 👍🏻 Cambridge will supply the adapter if you ask. The 851 didn’t come with one when first launched, it was the only negative on the reviews which was addressed so this streamer is a no brainier 

93C9B9EB-F713-40DD-B0FB-4A317E6D532C.jpeg

CC201DD3-BADE-4F54-99A3-FCE5FFB9B92F.jpeg

6418CF13-F071-40BC-B9E6-84B34950D7AA.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles