Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A near immaculate Arcadia 1.5, though what 1.5 means I can't say, and Simon said that the model designations weren't his own though he runs with them! Arcadias need no introduction here so I won't wax lyrical, check the threads if you are new to them.

This was Richard/Rabski's pre before I got it. It has the later 6111WA miniature valves, big yellow Hovland capacitors, and a 5Y3GT rectifier, and has not been upgraded as far as I know. It has been faultless but I am of the opinion could use a service by Simon for ultimate peace of mind. I haven't done this so it's up to anyone interested in buying it. The only symptom is that the source selector needs a clean (or a good twiddle to clean the contacts every now and again), and it's been a few years so why not let Simon fettle it, maybe even upgrade it? I will guarantee for any well established wammer (my decision what that means - no if's and but's)  that it will work just fine as detailed above, and will continue to do so if properly used for six months from purchase to help anyone wishing to own but not in a position to pay for a service - this guarantee not open to new faces for obvious reasons.

The fascia is blemish free apart from some swirl marks and dust that really aren't visible except in the photo, and the sides and top have two small 2mm ish scuffs which are nowhere near as noticeable as in the photos, in fact I only noticed them from the photos and had to go back to check if they were real! Anything untoward looking is an effect of the flash, it's in excellent condition and has been treated with care. I replaced the signal valves a couple of years ago since I have a carton of 100 NOS 6111WA ex-military to select out from. Frankly it made zero difference to the sound that I could detect, and I suspect the originals are still around somewhere. Anyway I will supply the pre with a spare NOS/NIB pair of 1% matched 6111WA as well as the ones in it, and the originals if I can find them, so the new owner will have plenty of choice/security. Frankly and IMHO there is far more to be gained from playing with the rectifier than bothering with the signal valves, but it sounds fab anyway so why bother if you aren't OCD about valves like I am
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif

Why am I selling? Well I'm not using it and I'm getting rather deep into the DIY side, so I want to build my own preamps even if they'll never be one quarter as good. Also I can hardly bl**dy well move in my man-cave and my missus is on my case again so my lovely Arcadia and other treasures will be appearing for sale...

What to charge. Hmm, I think £1250 plus delivery on top seems fair. All offers, even close offers, will be politely ignored. Any serious enquiry I can supply the serial number.

IMG_20201216_193052.2.jpg IMG_20201216_192911.2.jpg Arcadia-innards.jpg IMG_20201216_193153.2.jpg IMG_20201216_193207.2.jpg IMG_20201216_193259.2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin131

Wammer
Jun 26, 2020
Hi James.

Re to our conversations last night I’m still very interested in this (not sure if you saw my last message) , was just wanting to make sure it more like a 1.5 and not a model 1. Might Rabski remember if it’s had tantalum resistor upgrade and wiring upgrades? (silver rather than silver plated)and a few other upgrades as per the model 1.5? Just trying to work out the spec. If you or Rabski have no idea no worries I’ll probably go for it anyway.

cheers

Colin

Down in Devon

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2013
Now Up Norf
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I would strongly suggest that this is a good deal regardless if it is a 1.0 or 1.5...

Simon is a total gent to deal with and will no doubt upgrade as far as you want to go...

James is totally trustworthy-deal with confidence...

Colin131

Wammer
Jun 26, 2020
I would strongly suggest that this is a good deal regardless if it is a 1.0 or 1.5...

Simon is a total gent to deal with and will no doubt upgrade as far as you want to go...

Hi James is totally trustworthy-deal with confidence...
Cool, yes I’ve said so to James already and am happy to take it regardless of the fine details of the spec. This is much better than that Emporium one as that needs quite a bit of work! 

Reactions: flapland

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice price, looks like mine inside. I have no idea whats inside though lol

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Simon says it's an unmolested V. 1 so my bad (and naughty bad Mr Rabski, will be spanked). Still, available for sale and many thanks for clarifying Simon [emoji120]

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

lordmortlock

Lordmortlock
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still a good price I’d say James. 

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Simon says it's an unmolested V. 1 so my bad (and naughty bad Mr Rabski, will be spanked). Still, available for sale and many thanks for clarifying Simon
emoji120.png

Mea culpa, but I was sure Simon suggested it was higher than the original spec. I didn't think the original had the power supply with the additional choke. Either way, I know it sounds utterly magical and that it's seriously good value.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And... 6111 valves, whereas the earlier ones had 5687s :D

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah, break my heart you vicious mod you... Now sold, subject to completion and to a...a...a.. .local wammer :eek:j:

Barely knew such people existed apart from the odd meeting with pmcuk (hello Andy). So living in London isn't all bad.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well done, which part of London are you in, we should have a local bake off once the rules allow?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
North London Southgate area so Piccadilly line [emoji16]

Hopefully a few of us can work something out when the rules allow mixing indoors, I miss a bit of social audio fiddling and banter.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Count me in. May be a month or two, not all fun fun fun down in the capital right now..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.