Listens to graphs.
Wammer
Feb 13, 2013
Spalding
AKA
Edd
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having unloaded the car today I thought I'd post some waffle about the weekend. This was my second year exhibiting and somewhat easier without the stairs. Spent a while setting up and calibrating the room correction with some interesting results. At dinner I was on the same table as f1eng so was somewhat star struck :love: .

After dinner spent most of the evening lost trying to find people to buy me beer, I mean mmichbam and craigmclellan. When I did spend time in my room on Saturday a few people came by, Harv popped in to play something that sounded broken but left grinning.

Sunday seemed as busy as last year, plenty of people coming and going, there wasn't as many requests to play music so I continued my onslaught of noodly jazz. Someone did request Wagner, Tannhäuser, I was impressed a few people hung around the full 20 mins. Opera at 100db or so is quite entertaining. I did manage to have a walk round for an hour, very impressed to find 3/4 systems playing Dire Straights on entry, It was mostly just to say hello to people but everything was sounding good. Highlight was Marks stunning Bergmann turntable with a giant blob of blutak on the tonearm, playing Love Over Gold.

Here is the setup I took:

CPA-0137_zpsqxlgegfz.jpg

The room was interesting, It was nice to have a big space to play loudly in. It measured pretty well on the frequency response, but there was some odd resonances at 100hz or so, setting off a lot of harmonics, I couldn't decide what I was resonating, I figured it might be the ceiling.

Room harmonics can be seen on this distortion plot:

scalford-dist-1_zpsjb43omyl.jpg

Oddly after running the room correction DSP:

scalford-dist-2_zpswbbckz3c.jpg

Gone. No idea how that works, the room still had the odd 100-150hz node which gave a sort of boxy sound to the bass but nothing to worry about.

Left-Right and after correction measurements:

scalford-spl_zpsnycvz0o8.jpg

By next year I might get the second set of 18" woofer built, but then they wouldn't fit in the Yaris.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You got all that lot into a Yaris?

I am seriously impressed.

I did pop in for a listen and thought it all sounded very good, but you were off on your wander at the time.

Please don't be offended by this but I was at the same table for dinner and you did look a bit like a schoolboy who had just met his idol.

I think you were muttering something about this :)

tumblr_n88jorD6Ik1tfnh1do1_1280.jpg

edd9000

Listens to graphs.
Wammer
Feb 13, 2013
Spalding
AKA
Edd
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:love: No offence taken. Some things just capture you, for me it was Williams F1 cars. I met an Apollo astronaut earlier this year, Al Worden, it was a similar experience, utterly humbling.

Well, a Yaris Verso, and some careful arrangement.

CPA-0145_zpshdlzwn3y.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

rg9Kjs7.gif

Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I loved the room boom I found near the back of your room. I loved it so much I almost spilt my beer.Pleased to hear you have at last unloaded the car.
Ed get that sorted out, we can't have wammers spilling beer involuntary like that.

get your act together man "save the beer"

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was the ceiling, I had the pleasure of being up stairs........

edd9000

Listens to graphs.
Wammer
Feb 13, 2013
Spalding
AKA
Edd
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Such are the problems with room resonance. I dialled the majority of it out, even with a notch at 110hz or so, volume was kept to 80db with the digital source most of the day, but replay gain doesn't work on vinyl which was all over the place. There was lots of diving to the volume controls (no remote).

dnewma04

Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 30, 2013
Edd, does your yaris have a roof? If so, there is still room for another set of 18s. Which you clearly need since you aren't using some useless "bass" compression driver like a YL or GOTO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.