Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A positive story 

I have had my Sonos Playbase for TV duties for around 6 years now. I’ve always run it hardwired to the router but in this new house, the router is too far away. The last few days I’ve been trying to connect it wirelessly to the Sonos app with no joy. Reset it etc etc…

I contacted Sonos support and via a long Ethernet cable, they diagnosed a faulty WiFi card. 

I thought here we go, out of warranty and more expense and posting to and from etc but no, free of charge, a brand new Sonos beam is on its way. No quibble. Although the Beam is slightly less pound for pound, it’s sonically better. 

Can’t ask for more than that can you. 

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s great news. And on that note I lent my Sonos to a friend to see if they would get into streaming and they love it and have just offered to buy it. 

Reactions: Rockchild

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That’s great news. And on that note I lent my Sonos to a friend to see if they would get into streaming and they love it and have just offered to buy it. 
Forgot to say that I tested it and into my Auralic DAC and it sounded quite good. 

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do sometimes get the impression that Sonos is like a dirty word in these parts. I've had the Gen 1 Connect products for a number of years and, via optical out into my amp's DAC, and playing either locally-streamed FLAC files or the Radio Paradise FLAC stream, I think it sounds really rather good. Plus the app is one of the best in the business (if not perfect) and they cover the widest selection of streaming services and online sources that I know, including both Apple Music and Amazon Music as well as the usual suspects

It's great to know that as a company they seem to have excellent customer service too, especially after their rather public gaffe a couple of years back about bricking Gen 1 products when upgrading for Gen 2. I shall stick with them for the forseeable future as they're fairly priced, do exactly what I need and sound good too

Reactions: DomT and Rockchild

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do sometimes get the impression that Sonos is like a dirty word in these parts. I've had the Gen 1 Connect products for a number of years and, via optical out into my amp's DAC, and playing either locally-streamed FLAC files or the Radio Paradise FLAC stream, I think it sounds really rather good. Plus the app is one of the best in the business (if not perfect) and they cover the widest selection of streaming services and online sources that I know, including both Apple Music and Amazon Music as well as the usual suspects

It's great to know that as a company they seem to have excellent customer service too, especially after their rather public gaffe a couple of years back about bricking Gen 1 products when upgrading for Gen 2. I shall stick with them for the forseeable future as they're fairly priced, do exactly what I need and sound good too
Hi Jules, I have the Ist generation Ones. They make lovely music as a pair and I use them with the playbase (or did) for surround duties. The only thing they don’t do (not including Alexa) is Airplay. They hold their value too. 

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m still using one of the original ZP90 zone players. It started life in my hi-fi system as a means of getting ripped CDs and Tidal into the system, now it’s in the rear room as a Roon endpoint feeding the optical input on the TV’s soundbar. Always worked, and still sounds OK.

Reactions: Rockchild

SilverBirch

New Wammer
Jan 26, 2022
Nottingham England
AKA
Brett
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

This exactly. That public gaffe was, in my eyes, one of the biggest customer service cock-ups I've ever seen and has forever tarnished their reputation. As you said though, their user interface is one of the best in the business - in fact other than ROON I can't pick one better (no - not BlueOS). I also have a SONOS connect via optical into a separate DAC streaming QOBUZ and locally stored FLAC files, and a SONOS amp into a pair of M&K MP950s/X8 Sub which sounds fantastic too. Then their smaller play1/5 etc are perfect for the kids bedroom etc and all run off the same app. Fantastic!

Reactions: Jules_S and deggie

Jezmond

Wammer
May 21, 2021
Always good to hear about great customer service! 

I have x2 Sonos Ones in the kitchen & they work superbly. As well as music, one is Alexa enabled, so it’s perfect calling the kids down for dinner and adding items to your shopping list.

Definitely not proper hifi, I had AVI ADM9’s in my old kitchen but they are also wife and family friendly! 

I’m guessing the benefit of a Playbar is it plays music well too and you can go wireless surround? I’ve a Yamaha projection soundbar so can’t see there is much point going Sonos - the reviews at the time suggested it sounded better for A/V. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.