Speaker binding post/crossover advice

oceanobsession

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2011
birmingham
AKA
philip
Hi all, can anyone offer any advice regarding speaker binding posts and mounting the crossovers in separate boxes behind the speakers,its my plan to

have six binding posts on each speaker wired to each speaker drive unit, then two binding posts on the boxes coming in, then three sets of cables leaving the boxes via cable glands, ive looked at hifi collective for binding posts but there silly money, ive seen these on eBay which look ok they would have to have a long fitting to go throuth 25mm mdf see item no 331036794028 these speakers are transmission line build so limited space in the cabinets, the crossovers are fitted in the bottom of the speaker in the kit diagram but this makes a tall speaker 1130mm even taller by say 60mm more,

also a bit hard to access, any advice on this would be great cheers phil.

link to the crossovers http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-SEAS-ER.htm#Crossover

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm putting mine in a slim box, 60mm tall, with a lid, and may slide them underneath. But I may well hang them down the back on springs or O rings.

The binding posts you looked at are a good price if they really are copper. But I find that often the descriptions are incorrect, in fact one seller has banned me after I told him that his OFC posts were brass! I filed them to make sure. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-B-Systems-OFC-Matt-Gold-Plate-Binding-Post-4-pcs-/251344407082?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item3a854b4a2a I only wanted cheap ones, and that's what I got. I use these now http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CMC-858-LU-AG-Silver-Plate-Speaker-Binding-Pots-2-pairs-/281021341334?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item416e2d5e96

Next time I like the look of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Valab-Rhodium-Plated-Speaker-Binding-Pots-2-Pair-L-/281009917125?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item416d7f0cc5

Kevin at Valab is pretty good, and when some screws were missing he quickly sent more.

PS, did you empty your mailbox?

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi phil, those rhodium plated binding posts look descent.........item 416d7focc5 in ian,s post above,

they,re taking shape then, nearly done, i bet ya itching to fire em up.

oceanobsession

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2011
birmingham
AKA
philip
Hi there deggie, yes things have moved on, cabinets and sound deadening finished, front panels painted and finished, rear panels in primer ready for paint this weekend,

ive a few choices to make now and ive found that you need the time to think cause unless its fixed in your head you can make mistakes, but yes im eager that's the problem, I want to hear um, ive decided to make boxes to put the crossovers into hoping to place them low to the back, being transmission line you don't need capacitors

blocking the flow of the sound, I think im going mogami for the speaker cable, choices choices , sometimes I think ive taken on more than im capable of doing, but will push on, have a nice christmas and a happy new year to you and your family catch up soon all the best phil

oceanobsession

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2011
birmingham
AKA
philip
Hi there again, I take your point regarding the brass, its a bit of a minefield at times, im struggling a bit with the various choices that you have regarding the build,

12awg for the bass 16awg for the mid and tweeter mogami just cause I think its great cable, so many choices for capacitors but im going with clarity cap esa for the mid and mr for the tweeter, I think, limited hours of daylight don't help as well, theres always one thing driving you, how do they sound. all the best phil.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Too many choices and not enough time/money/energy/skill (copyright Chumpy!) to explore them all. I am sticking to Troels' crossover choices as I can, for once, afford to.

My crossover box will be 230mm wide x 330 x 60mm, made from 7mm wood finish MDF (B&Q sell offcuts for a few pence) with only 2 binding posts. Hopefully the width will be such that they are not noticeable from the front if I hang them on the back. They are also narrow enough to slide into the plinth if I have one.

Luckily I have some silver plated teflon covered cable spare for internal wiring, just waitng for the tweeters and a couple of caps. I started cutting the birch ply yesterday and I'm really stiff this morning. Out of practice, especially as I had a bike crash in June and spent a long time just sitting around. So I'd better get out there before I seize up! I've managed to put the bike in my daughter's garage so I can work inside mine, otherwise it would be out in the front yard.

If I make any mistakes I'll let you know to avoid them, although you are much further along than me.

And I have started using these plugs, as they are cheap, and most importantly to me, one piece conductors. I hate joins! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-GOLD-4mm-BANANA-PLUGS-Solder-Screw-Connector-Speaker-Cable-NEW-/231077010548?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cable_Terminations&hash=item35cd435c74 If you get the 4mm entry type they are stackable.

Keep up the good work. We'll have to have a Jenzen SEAS bakeoff! (A bit big and heavy and too far apart probably. :( :D )

killie99

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2011
Kilmarnock
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I got this seller on fleabay to make me mdf boxes to my dimensions with removable lids that can be screwed down, got them in less than a week and very well made. I then bought some 3mm phenolic sheet, got my mate to mill out the exact dimensions of the phenolic sheet on the back of the box (just got the boxes back from him yesterday). Plan now is to use an auger drill to cut oversize holes in the mdf where the binding posts are to go (say 25mm) and drill the correct size hole in the phenolic sheet (8mm I think). I'm then going to glue to phenolic sheet into the milled out area and the binding posts will be attached only to the phenolic sheet rather than trying to attach them to 10mm mdf and due to the oversize holes in the mdf there is plenty of room to replace the inding posts in the future if I feel like blowing money on posh ones . Hopefully I've explained that properly, if not I'll pop a couple of pictures up at the weekend when I get some time to do the work.

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi all, can anyone offer any advice regarding speaker binding posts and mounting the crossovers in separate boxes behind the speakers,its my plan to have six binding posts on each speaker wired to each speaker drive unit, then two binding posts on the boxes coming in, then three sets of cables leaving the boxes via cable glands, ive looked at hifi collective for binding posts but there silly money, ive seen these on eBay which look ok they would have to have a long fitting to go throuth 25mm mdf see item no 331036794028 these speakers are transmission line build so limited space in the cabinets, the crossovers are fitted in the bottom of the speaker in the kit diagram but this makes a tall speaker 1130mm even taller by say 60mm more,

also a bit hard to access, any advice on this would be great cheers phil.

link to the crossovers http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-SEAS-ER.htm#Crossover
Dont forget, for 3 way speakers you can get away with 4 binding post on the back of the speakers and the output of the XO box by using a common negative. Can save you a bit of money on the binding posts and make you boxes more compact if you dont need to find space to mount 6 binding posts.

I am in the process of doing the same with my 3 way XOs but just at the halfway stage at the mo. : http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?93771-Evolution-of-my-T-A-xovers-Part-II

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
Dont forget, for 3 way speakers you can get away with 4 binding post on the back of the speakers and the output of the XO box by using a common negative. Can save you a bit of money on the binding posts and make you boxes more compact if you dont need to find space to mount 6 binding posts.I am in the process of doing the same with my 3 way XOs but just at the halfway stage at the mo. : http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?93771-Evolution-of-my-T-A-xovers-Part-II
I thought about this, but decided to add the extra binding posts in case I went active. While I know it should be OK having a common ground, with some amps (bridged, phase-reversed) it might not be, so better safe than sorry, for an extra few quid.

stewartwen

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2006
near Blackpool
AKA
Stewart
If I have the choice I prefer to use Nuetrik Speakons! Much better than those horrid binding posts and much less expensive as well.

S

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BTW Phil, hi-fi-bitz also sell thin sorbothane. I am mounting my tweeter panel on some.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online