Speaker recommendations?

Tim F

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2009
Bedford
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m after small footprint floorstanders. Was running Spendor S8e which are at the limit of size due to room considerations. New ones can be taller. Budget circa £2k. What do you think? 

Reactions: Tarzan

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I’m after small footprint floorstanders. Was running Spendor S8e which are at the limit of size due to room considerations. New ones can be taller. Budget circa £2k. What do you think? 
Room size, what sound you looking for and what is the rest of your kit?🤓🙂

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think don't mess about, buy end-game speakers you will never want or need to upgrade, and ditch your power amp as well. Buy once and buy right.

Budget blown, btw. Find the cheapest, most raddled old pair s/h and send them to the factory for servicing and updates to current spec, if the list price puts you off.

https://atc.audio/hi-fi/loudspeakers/classic-series/scm50/

• Haha
Reactions: tuga

Tim F

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2009
Bedford
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Room size, what sound you looking for and what is the rest of your kit?🤓🙂
They are for my home cinema fronts. Rest of kit is Bryson power and amp and top of the range marantz AV pre. I am right on top of a rear wall on one side. Just physically limited for large speakers. Main system has focal Scala utopia so don’t need end game speakers. Sound, I’m easy Spendors were warm, brighter would be good I think. Stereo image of highest priority. I will buy used. 

Cheers Tim 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tarzan

Tim F

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2009
Bedford
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I'll throw you a curved ball, NVA are going to produce a new Cube 1 standmount, a new mid/bass driver is to be used and I would seriously consider contacting Savvypaul on here to see if you could get a dem.  I use NVA equipment, but the highlight for me are the Cube 3's, in my system, previously used Shahinian Obelisk, with Naim amps, so I am a bit of a fan of omni's or semi omni's.  They will fit close to your wall, the only problem is if you have a very high ceiling, in which case discount my recommendation.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll throw you a curved ball, NVA are going to produce a new Cube 1 standmount, a new mid/bass driver is to be used and I would seriously consider contacting Savvypaul on here to see if you could get a dem.  I use NVA equipment, but the highlight for me are the Cube 3's, in my system, previously used Shahinian Obelisk, with Naim amps, so I am a bit of a fan of omni's or semi omni's.  They will fit close to your wall, the only problem is if you have a very high ceiling, in which case discount my recommendation.
Semi-omnis are somewhat Marmitey, and the NVA Cube design is eyeballed. I find yours to be a rather bizarre recomendation.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Semi-omnis are somewhat Marmitey, and the NVA Cube design is eyeballed. I find yours to be a rather bizarre recomendation.
Just more proof you don't know what you're talking about and nothing more than a troll on this forum.  In future can you just ignore my posts, I'll ignore yours as I already do most of the time, that way we'll get.

Last edited by a moderator:

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just more proof you don't know what you're talking about and nothing more than a troll on this forum.  In future can you just ignore my posts, I'll ignore yours as I already do most of the time, that way we'll get.
NVA said that they don't measure their speakers but prefer to design-by-ear, and that they're using a normal tweeter in their Allison clone.

1 + 1 = ?

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In case you're interested, the dispersion characteristics of the Allison tweeter is what made the response of their speakers semi-omni:

5IFZKtu.png

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I will quickly say hello on this thread because my name has been mentioned. I own NVA 

Tuga won't be the only person to have ever given an opinion on something that they've never heard...

.. and I can say with 100% certainly that he hasn't heard the speaker that antonio66 is speaking about, because it hasn't been launched yet. The only thing it has in common with the Allison design is an upward firing bass driver.

Mods - please remove my post if it breaches the AUP regarding posting by those who are in the trade.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about Totem? The Arro model comes in comfortably under your budget, the Sky Tower the same amount above it. Arro is a dinky little thing, I've heard them a few times at shows and they punch well above their weight with a sound that is lively (in the best sense of the word, i.e. engaging).

They're a 4 ohm load and not overly sensitive but your Bryston should be more than capable of handling that I would think. And they can be used close to the front wall too, so positioning-wise they should work well if you are limited in that regard

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The NVA cube speaker I heard at Scalford and another time was truely marmite, TBH I though it was one of the worst speakers/systems I have heard, coloured and very bright, awful in fact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Staff online