Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The OP shouldn't give up on Avantgarde quite yet. A couple of years ago I found a pair of 2006 AG Duos advertised for just £2200. That sort of bargain is rare and I spotted it minutes after its listing and bought them next day. I was specifically looking for Duos and set up alerts when new ads were posted. I suggested Unos as they are less costly and not a lot short of Duos in sound quality - comparing earlier generation with 2 separate horn tubes.
Rare? More like 'one in a million' I'd say. I spent about a year looking for AGs a while back. The cheapest I ever found was a pair of Duos in Germany for around £4k, which sold in hours. I'd actually phoned the guy to ask if he'd hold them for a small deposit while I sorted out getting there in a large enough car, but they'd already gone.

If you find a pair for £2k and they're legit, then that's serious bargain territory. The point though is that if you wait for that sort of deal, you may have a very, very long wait indeed.

In the meantime, you'd not go far wrong with the Snells in the classifieds for £500. Preferably before I make the pointless decision to end up with even more stuff that I don't need :ROFLMAO:

• Upvote
Reactions: MotherSky

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you find a pair for £2k and they're legit, then that's serious bargain territory. The point though is that if you wait for that sort of deal, you may have a very, very long wait indeed.
Yes, I was very very lucky and they are legit and in excellent condition - £2.2K. I didn't mind waiting as I was already using Unos, with no rush to upgrade to Duos. Once I decided my planned change to Martin Logan 13As was a bad move, I started my Duo search and this pair fell out of nowhere in quick time. And only a 115 mile drive to collect.

orfalot

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2012
Manchester
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies for delay in acknowledging/replying to all the very helpful and detailed responses. Have been reading them and trying to digest. Some of which make me realise not only that I should have tried harder at school but also that I picked the wrong subjects. Don’t fully understand the techie replies but they are still useful in painting a picture, eg:
- different behaviour of ss vs tube amp when different impedance speakers used.
- falling speaker sensitivity at low frequencies often being cause of valve amps having loose bass.

All worth knowing.

Trying to respond more broadly:..

Re Room size/current speakers
Have been using the Rega R3s in new house as that's all I have (with the 8 ohm taps - there are no others). I don't generally listen at seriously high levels although they will 'go loud' but too easily. Cannot really consider going above say 20% of the unmarked volume control - is that due to going from 8 to 6 ohms maybe? Interesting point though about how they get there...not so listenable at much higher volumes but I'd put that down to room size/characteristices, duff ears or of course the music being played.

Re horns
Am not really sure tbh. My only real experience is from playing in the brass band at school. I imagine they are highly directional which makes me wonder how it would sound for passive listeners. I didn't realise until seeing these replies that the Odeon Rigolettos have horns in them...was intrigued by the look of that top 'speaker' when I saw the advert and was drawn to them but didn't get anywhere then. I think almost certainly that the bigger horns I have seen would be a no-no in this house, irrespective of SQ.

Re new/old
Was thinking if I went new I'd go up to c.£2k. Quite happy though looking at used provided vgc etc. As mentioned Odeons caught my eye along with Heco Einklangs that were for sale recently but I was too slow there. Since seen unfavourable [Einklangs] reviews/comments but nonetheless am still prepared to have a go should some surface. Was suggesting new mainly as hard to find WAF etc pieces, i.e. colours/aesthetics plus they'd be in perfect condition. Heco I know a bit funky but was prepared to take a punt there.

Re diy
Sounds like a nice idea but I have enough jobs around here already. Unlikely therefore that it would happen.

Re Specific models/types
Zu no longer avalable in UK. They sell direct now within US regions only - new ones look epic :( although $$$$ too.
'Big ass' Eltax look great. Could end up being my ass though... Maybe I should be brave enough to try these out with the OGF
Big 'horned' would be a no-no. Smaller ones? maybe but no familiarity really.
Snell Type Ks - Hmmm? stand mounted. Not sure. Think I'd prefer floorstanders.

Still need to look at the various links.

Many thanks all
:)

Reactions: hifinutt

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
KLH Kendall have a high sensitivity. They have had a fairly hefty price increase recently but well within 2K budget.

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it's not to much to ask. Add £500 and get a pair of KLH Model 5s. Best of both worlds.... Floorstanders/ speed of bookshelf speaker.
Read the reviews then get demo a pair. ✌️

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online