Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since selling on my main speakers after 10 years of loveliness my Mowgan Audio Mabon, I have gone on a speaker buying spree and I have to say there are some great speakers out there, but how and when does one stop? Is it normal to have multiple sets of speakers and is it only space that limits the buying or has anyone actually got to a place they are happy with one set of speakers..Jerry @JANDL100 does not count on this one! But I have found that every set of speakers have some redeeming features even if they are not my cup of tea.
So how many sets of speakers do peeps have here and what have you got?
In no particular order and I will be downsizing my collection in the near future (too little space)…

Kralk tdb4
Yamaha NS200
Acoustic Energy AE1 actives
Castle Pembroke
Posselt Albatross
BK xxls400 subs
Maggie 1.7
Don't you just lurve speakers….

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of everything here. Bought as a complete system a long time ago. My addiction focuses on the music it's self, which is a physical medium, and causes enough storage space problems.

Reactions: m7rso

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went through a similar speaker hoarding phase, I enjoyed it, learnt a lot and didn't lose any money net. I think it comes down to choice and space.

On the benefits of spending everything on a single pair, my view was I intended eventually to settle on a single pair c. £1k max so it was just a case of investing some savings on temporary kit that eventually would be cashed in. I agree that if you have a budget it's best spent on getting the best (which is not always the max budget).

One thing I did find was that some speakers are better for larger scale recordings, rock etc while others were better at intimate smaller scale/acoustic/chamber. If you don't want 2 pairs there's probably a compromise somewhere.

Reactions: bigrod and m7rso

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have gone on a speaker buying spree and I have to say there are some great speakers out there, but how and when does one stop? Is it normal to have multiple sets of speakers and is it only space that limits the buying
Yes it is normal. Not sure I am that normal though....
And with any luck, one would work out what they like, and having satiated the curiosity down size.
For me that looks like Genexxa LX5(s), NS1000m, ESL57, LS3/5a, Wharfedale Dovedale 3 and a number of home made...

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went through a similar speaker hoarding phase, I enjoyed it, learnt a lot and didn't lose any money net. I think it comes down to choice and space.

On the benefits of spending everything on a single pair, my view was I intended eventually to settle on a single pair c. £1k max so it was just a case of investing some savings on temporary kit that eventually would be cashed in. I agree that if you have a budget it's best spent on getting the best (which is not always the max budget).

One thing I did find was that some speakers are better for larger scale recordings, rock etc while others were better at intimate smaller scale/acoustic/chamber. If you don't want 2 pairs there's probably a compromise somewhere.
Absolutely, I will have that. 2 pairs min.

Reactions: deggie

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have never owned more than two pairs of speakers at any one time both Tannoys they got sold when I bought my present speakers Event Opals of which I have two pair one working & one not.

Last edited:

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only ever two pairs - one for the living room and another set for the bedroom. That's enough for me.

Edit: plus 1 x subwoofer and 1 x supertweeters :)

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Guilty …
  • Castle Knight 1 … up for sale
  • Leema Xone … probably going to sell
  • Klipsch Heresy II … probably going to sell
  • Aliante Moda … lifers … you’ll have to prise them off me
  • Aliante Spazio … lovely walnut … too nice to sell
  • Sound Faber Chameleon … standby set
  • Pioneer RM-05 (powered)… keeper
  • Dynaudio Xeo 2 (active) … I have plans
  • Elipson Planet M … always wanted to try

Last edited:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pre MBL, I used to go in for up to 3 at a time

sWXp7fW.jpeg

jgepbmI.jpeg

It was fun, and I do kind of miss it.
But only kind of.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My God, I thought it was only Americans who maintained numerous systems, often including one in their garages!

I would hate to think that my "speaker budget" was spread over half a dozen pairs of speakers, rather than one exceptional pair - good enough not to need subs!

On another forum (UK), I am criticised for squandering so much cash on a £34K pair of speakers (current list price), whereas on another forum (US) most seem to have speakers (sometimes several pairs) in the 6-figure bracker!

I've never maintanined more than one pair, although occasionally I keep the old pair for rather longer than I should before re-selling. At present I have:

Avantgarde Duo XD (bought new 2 years ago)
Avantgarde Duo (2006 vintage, bought used 3 years ago)

The older Duos really should find a new home and I'll get round to selling them soon as they are not connected to electronics at present. 4 years ago I bought a pair of Martin Logan 13A Expressions that I kept for several months before deciding they didn't suit my room and I was thankful that I'd kept the old 2002 AG Unos that the MLs were bought to replace.

At present I have only one all-in-one amp but also a preamp in storage. I guess many who have numerous pairs of speakers also have a hoard of amps? Gosh, what a simple life I lead!

Wouldn't you guys with 6+ pairs of speakers (presumably only one being listened to) prefer to enjoy one much better pair that cost the sum of all the others? Or is there no limit to cash recources and they are all exceptional? ;) Peter

Reactions: White Zombie

brusselsangel

Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
France
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn Kan
Rega EL8
Spendor A5
Spendor D9.2
Infinity bookshelf (can't recall which model)
Dali Oberon 5
Tannoy Revolution
Eltax floor standers (Don't judge me :))

All from new and some just collecting dust.

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wouldn't you guys with 6+ pairs of speakers (presumably only one being listened to) prefer to enjoy one much better pair that cost the sum of all the others? Or is there no limit to cash recources and they are all exceptional? ;) Peter
Some of these are accumulated over time or are sideways moves / "experiments" ... plus I don't need 34K speakers for a bedroom or study. I would make room for some Avantgarde Zeros however, but these are hard to find at my absolute top-end end-game budget of around £5K (used or new)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles