• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Squeezebox 3 and Infrant ReadyNas combo?

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Anyone seen this deal?

2 x wireless SB3 and Infrant ReadyNas with 1000Gb for $1500

That seems good value...does the NAS connect to my computer in some manner?

Seems like a nice option. You could buy the package and then sell one of the SB3's if you liked.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
NAS is network attached storage so it should connect itself to the network and present itself a drive letter via a pc or networked device.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Where did you see the deal fella?

A squeezebox is only £200 anyway so in pounds you could pick that up for say £8-900!

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Its on the Slim Devices website in their shop.

How do i get my music onto the NAS...i guess its via wireless or LAN then?

Does wireless transfer of lossless audio between computer and NAS throw up any nasties?

A

Alex A

I think you can hook it upto your computer with USB or Cat 5 for faster than wireless transfer. Once you've got a load of stuff on there, you can stick the NAS wherever you want (if the loft, behind the washing machine, in the toilet cistern, whatever).

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Do you know if its possible to select songs to play via your computer? So you select from the front cover art rather than fumble through the SB3 display?

cjm

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2006
, ,
Once set up, Network Attached Storage will appear on your PC much the same as any other local drive, so you can access it as you would a local drive subject to the fact if more than one computer has a network connection to the NAS, all will be able to access it as though one of their ownlocal drives.

A

Alex A

I don't know, I don't have one. But I assume so. The NAS is basically a wireless network attached Hard Drive. With your music files on there, you can access them through the SB3 AND use itunes or other PC media player (so long as the files are catalogued) to play them on your PC.

It's like using a SB from your PC. I presume you can use the same files on your PC through a PC media player and through the SB? Only the storage is not internal to the PC but external.

A

Alex A

You must remember though, the NAS has nothing uniquely to do with Squeezebox. It's a generic wireless network hard drive. And like all things computer related, these things will get cheaper, bigger (storage wise), and physically smaller.

So it won't retain it's value as a hi-fi component might.

cjm

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2006
, ,
just to add Network Attached Storage doesn't have to be wireless. It's commonly connected by CAT 5 or similar cabling.

Chris

A

Alex A

well you just need a router (wireless or otherwise) and you set it up as a network drive through windows (plug and play). There is probably a disc to make the process easier.

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you'll need to install slimserver on the nas and then get your music onto it as well so you need a pc anyway unless you ship all your cd's off to be installed at huge cost (if you're thinking about 1tb). slimserver is a very lightweight app even my stupidly old p2 400 can run it with plenty of spare cycles to act as a print server / scanner etc. without dropouts or any nastyness.

with usb 400gig hdds available for about 90 quid or less i wonder why you're willing to spend over a grand on this. an old knacker pc from e-bay or the local paper - £20, a bit of extra memory - £20, 2 400gb hdds £180 and a squeezebox £200. that's 420 quid. probably less if you have an old pc lying about or an existing external drive.

you can even share the drives if you want so you can store anything on them.

The Swedish Chef

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2005
Göteborg, , Sweden
AKA
Philip
if you could `please endulge me in a related hijack:

1. music selection, how do you do this, via the pc or some huge remote or the small screen on the transporter/squeezebox?

2. what do you do with all the cd's once they are ripped?

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
No the seller didnt even bother to respond to 2 emails so i thought forget it.

Yeah the Attraction Dac is only 1000 euros with mods in germany...£1k is steep!
wacko.png

jonjin wrote:

Did you get the Olive Sig70 in the end? Also I think I saw an Altmann on hififorsale...JJ

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
1. Seems you can do it from your pc or through the sb3...you could connect your pc to a plasma like i do via vga to rca connections.

2. store them?...sell them?...i just joined strasbourg library, for 32 euros a year you can take out 6 cd's per time for free. So i'll just get them, burn them..take them back.

The Swedish Chef wrote:

if you could `please endulge me in a related hijack:1. music selection, how do you do this, via the pc or some huge remote or the small screen on the transporter/squeezebox?

2. what do you do with all the cd's once they are ripped?

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
personally i very rarely use the web interface. did toy with getting a bluetooth / wi-fi gizmo for it but to be honest i usually just go to browse music folder find what i want to listen to. all my music is arranged alphabetically into letter folders so i'd go browse music folder -> a -> aphex twin -> selected ambient works then press play to listen to that album - if i wanted to listen to everything from aphex twin jsut press play on the aphex twin folder. if i want to add something else to the play list then find it the same way and hit the + key on the remote. easy. got to have a good directory structure / tagging scheme though that's really impportant.

all my ripped cd's are in cardboard storage boxes in wardrobes upstairs. they'll go into my loft when i move. i keep them as absolute failure backups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx