• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Squeezebox Classic PSU & Server Software Questions.

Jelly Tussle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2013
Hi

My friend has on approval a Squeezebox Classic. The PSU appears to be faulty as any slight movement cuts the power off. Are there replacements available? If so where from? I'm not talking about a 'audiophile PSU' just a bog standard replacement.

Also; my friend is thinking of getting a NAS set up. As neither of us are PC - networking literate; are there any NAS's available that still have the Squeezebox Server (or whatever its now called...) pre-installed? I know that some Netgear ReadyNAS devices had the software installed; but I don't know if that is still true now that the Squeezebox has gone tits up.

If there are no such NAS devices available; is the software still available for download and where from?

Ta Muchly.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  • Upvote
Reactions: Jelly Tussle

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi My friend has on approval a Squeezebox Classic. The PSU appears to be faulty as any slight movement cuts the power off. Are there replacements available? If so where from? I'm not talking about a 'audiophile PSU' just a bog standard replacement.

Also; my friend is thinking of getting a NAS set up. As neither of us are PC - networking literate; are there any NAS's available that still have the Squeezebox Server (or whatever its now called...) pre-installed? I know that some Netgear ReadyNAS devices had the software installed; but I don't know if that is still true now that the Squeezebox has gone tits up.

If there are no such NAS devices available; is the software still available for download and where from?

Ta Muchly.
The First NAS I used as a server was a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo & I specifically bought this model due to the support tie in between Netgear & Logitech re LMS. Initially the S/W update process was a little clunky with you having to manually download & unzip the file, but later on this was improved with updates to Netgears Raidiator control panel S/W.

Prior to Logitech ditching the SBT, updates to LMS were still being rolled out pretty thick & fast they were often subsequently updated with stability fixes. At this time having Mfr support re the latest release was rather more important IMV*(*releases w the latest fixes/patches seemed to be always kept bang up to date on Netgears site) I've since upgraded my NAS solution to a Synology DS213 & installing LMS is a cinch.....there is a direct download from Synology's "Package Centre" it is a super easy process & pretty much three clicks eg click on package centre > click on "multi media packages" > click on LMS/install & it will download & install.

The Synology NAS's are far far better than Netgear IMV, in terms of having a much nicer user interface in terms of ease of use. Netgears Raidiator C.P. does really seem horrid & clunky in comparison & my DS213 is absolutely 'whisper quiet' the ReadyNAS Duo was almost agricultural in comparison being rather noisy at times. Such is the ease of setup with the Syno DS range of NAS enclosures I have little hesitation recommending them to NAS Noobs & peeps who may never be particularly IT savvy. They're great from a H/W point of view with many fans on here. The range of S/W add ons is also excellent & really well implemented, they are brilliant little boxes that can also function as a streamer/internet radio player in their own right. Synology seem to keep the latest LMS downloads relatively up to date on their site, so there should be no issues re ongoing support for LMS. :cool:

• Upvote
Reactions: Jelly Tussle

Jelly Tussle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2013
Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies. I appreciate VacDac's detailed reply re NAS's. :^

I will suggest Synolgy to my friend. Are there any suggested HDD's (in the 2Tb-3Tb range) that are particularly suggested for use in Synology NAS's?

Cheers!

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Western Digital Red series seem to be the choice suggestion & what I use myself.....I two WD Red 3TB HD's in mine. They're specifically designed for NAS enclosure use & seem to have a good rep re reliability + come with a reassuring 3yr warranty . :^

Jelly Tussle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2013
Western Digital Red series seem to be the choice suggestion & what I use myself.....I two WD Red 3TB HD's in mine. They're specifically designed for NAS enclosure use & seem to have a good rep re reliability + come with a reassuring 3yr warranty . :^
A belated thank you for that info. :^

I passed on the info regarding NAS' to my friend; who is on a mega tight budget. He may not be able to spend the extra on a Synolgy NAS and may go down the Netgear route.

Whilst I take onboard your comments about Netgears horrid and clunky interface; if he does buy a Netgear NAS how much of a faff is it to install LMS on it?

Bear in mind that neither of us are particularly computer savvy... :(

Cheers.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A belated thank you for that info. :^ I passed on the info regarding NAS' to my friend; who is on a mega tight budget. He may not be able to spend the extra on a Synolgy NAS and may go down the Netgear route.

Whilst I take onboard your comments about Netgears horrid and clunky interface; if he does buy a Netgear NAS how much of a faff is it to install LMS on it?

Bear in mind that neither of us are particularly computer savvy... :(

Cheers.
Hi Bud,

It's a comparative thing re the user interfaces & because Synologys' efforts are so good, pretty much most of the competition will seem poor in comparison. The Newer Netgear ReadyNAS `102 does look fair value at around £100 & has more processor grunt & double the RAM of my old ReadyNAS Duo so should offer a slicker user experience. Stuff like scans of larger libraries should be quicker.

If the Netgear Raidiator web browser C.P. interface is the same as on mine the following may help* (You are in luck I'm just checking my old ReadyNAS Duo over before it goes up to my Dads) activating LMS should be a cinch. Just Click on "Services" highlighted in blue in a side column to the left.>> a sub box with four options opens up >> Click on "Streaming Services" >> "Squeeze server" is the first option of the three pre-installed server options you will need to tick the box next to it & then hit the "Apply" button you will find if you scroll down to the bottom right of the page

I hear what you are saying re budget constraints, but I'd counsel the £55 approx extra for a Synology DS213J would be well worth it, esp when you consider it can work as an additional internet radio/streamer in its own right. You can always save on initial costs by populating with one drive initially**(**having a proper external backup too from the off of c. :^ ) Summat else to bear in mind with the Syno NAS enclosures, is that it is pretty much always a fair margin cheaper to source as an unpopulated enclosure & buy the drives separately. Just in case your mate had been put off by complete package prices I thought I'd mention this.

Jelly Tussle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2013
Hi Bud,It's a comparative thing re the user interfaces & because Synologys' efforts are so good, pretty much most of the competition will seem poor in comparison. The Newer Netgear ReadyNAS `102 does look fair value at around £100 & has more processor grunt & double the RAM of my old ReadyNAS Duo so should offer a slicker user experience. Stuff like scans of larger libraries should be quicker.

If the Netgear Raidiator web browser C.P. interface is the same as on mine the following may help* (You are in luck I'm just checking my old ReadyNAS Duo over before it goes up to my Dads) activating LMS should be a cinch. Just Click on "Services" highlighted in blue in a side column to the left.>> a sub box with four options opens up >> Click on "Streaming Services" >> "Squeeze server" is the first option of the three pre-installed server options you will need to tick the box next to it & then hit the "Apply" button you will find if you scroll down to the bottom right of the page

I hear what you are saying re budget constraints, but I'd counsel the £55 approx extra for a Synology DS213J would be well worth it, esp when you consider it can work as an additional internet radio/streamer in its own right. You can always save on initial costs by populating with one drive initially**(**having a proper external backup too from the off of c. :^ ) Summat else to bear in mind with the Syno NAS enclosures, is that it is pretty much always a fair margin cheaper to source as an unpopulated enclosure & buy the drives separately. Just in case your mate had been put off by complete package prices I thought I'd mention this.
Many thanks for the clear and detailed reply :^

I'll pass the info onto my mate and hopefully he'll go down the Synology route.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kinchitshaw