Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@syep2001

I agree, the P3ESR is my favourite speaker too and I owned them for most of the previous decade. But for whatever reason, I’ve settled down with the Falcon LS3/5a as there’s just something about them I can’t replace.

robbie010

Fervent Box-swapper & Tinkerer
Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a quick update on this, I was very tempted by the LS3/5a but the lack of bass worried me and the cost of the bass extending stand was prohibitive. Serendipitously, a pair of Kralk BC30 Mkii came up in the classified, along with the PAW stands, which are much like the AB-2 bass extenders made by Stirling, so I went with them. 

I’m enjoying them so far, I wouldn’t say there is a lack of bass, just a different presentation of the lower register and the roll off seems steeper but not unenjoyable  

Thanks for all the comments etc. 

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a quick update on this, I was very tempted by the LS3/5a but the lack of bass worried me and the cost of the bass extending stand was prohibitive. Serendipitously, a pair of Kralk BC30 Mkii came up in the classified, along with the PAW stands, which are much like the AB-2 bass extenders made by Stirling, so I went with them. 

I’m enjoying them so far, I wouldn’t say there is a lack of bass, just a different presentation of the lower register and the roll off seems steeper but not unenjoyable  

As a fan of little boxes, I love it when someone mentions something I've never heard of, as is the case with the Kralk. These look really interesting.

Do enjoy obviously I want to hear a pair now !

Bruss22

Wammer
Jan 13, 2022
France
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still running Kans in a medium sized room where they work well. In my larger room they don’t have the ‘throw’ to fill the room. Still clear as a bell but thin if volume is turned up. I sold a pair of Rogers ls3/5a and kept the Kans a few years ago, so I do think the different makers bring a different sound.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No

Pleased you're liking them so far, he says, wiping the sweat from his brow   :D

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm an LS3/5a aficionado and have been for over 40 years.

Stick with the Tannoys if they work in your room.

Lordgumboot

Wammer
Jun 15, 2022
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The room is a fairly standard living room space, 15ft x 10ft with 8ft ceilings, carpet floor and quite heavily furnished. Does anyone have experience of using LS3/5a (or similar) in this kind of domestic setup?
Exactly the size of my room too.
I have the V2's and they sound fantastic.
They are set as far away from the wall as I could (15") and after some playing around, I have them toed out literally by the height of my thumb nail. about 1 ¾ cm.
I thought they sounded great before this but experimenting with easily maneuverable options, I toed them in, and out, and could hear the difference markedly.
The bottom end is absolutely fine for the music I listen too, mostly Jazz, Soul, Brasilian, Classical. WIth Reggae where the Bass is key, I will say that there may be a slight roll-off. The bass isn't HEAVY or belly busting, but it is certainly there, it's just clear and clean and complimentary.
Perfect really for the size of the room, and perfect for the people I live with too😁
I will add something I found important and incredibly reasuring. Doug Stirling is a legend. One of the woofers was damaged during transit from Germany where I bought them from. I contacted Doug and sent them in, and he replaced both woofers "just to be safe" and charged me £40!!!!!
I actually protested that I should pay more being as I wasn't the original owner, but he said he likes to look after ALL his customers.
AMAZING right?
Get em. they sound superb once you've found their placement.
IMG_4932.jpg

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Exactly the size of my room too.
I have the V2's and they sound fantastic.
They are set as far away from the wall as I could (15") and after some playing around, I have them toed out literally by the height of my thumb nail. about 1 ¾ cm.
I thought they sounded great before this but experimenting with easily maneuverable options, I toed them in, and out, and could hear the difference markedly.
The bottom end is absolutely fine for the music I listen too, mostly Jazz, Soul, Brasilian, Classical. WIth Reggae where the Bass is key, I will say that there may be a slight roll-off. The bass isn't HEAVY or belly busting, but it is certainly there, it's just clear and clean and complimentary.
Perfect really for the size of the room, and perfect for the people I live with too😁
I will add something I found important and incredibly reasuring. Doug Stirling is a legend. One of the woofers was damaged during transit from Germany where I bought them from. I contacted Doug and sent them in, and he replaced both woofers "just to be safe" and charged me £40!!!!!
I actually protested that I should pay more being as I wasn't the original owner, but he said he likes to look after ALL his customers.
AMAZING right?
Get em. they sound superb once you've found their placement.
IMG_4932.jpg
Nice - is that the cherry veneer ?

Reactions: Lordgumboot

Lordgumboot

Wammer
Jun 15, 2022
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice - is that the cherry veneer ?
Yep. They are. I'm very happy with the colour too. If I'd bought them new I might have gone fancy, but now I'm glad it's this. Especially as the clolour of the stands was pretty easy to get right. I made the stands myself from American White Oak Hardwood, and then matched the colour with a little stain and some beeswax. Super happy.
IMG_4173.JPG IMG_4196.jpg IMG_4198.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles