Streamer recommendation

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd like a streamer, ideally one that needs a separate dac, as I will connect to my saturn R. I don't want to use a Pi, and it needs to have a user friendly interface.

Budget - a few hundred quid.

Any suggestions?

I will use my laptop temporarily via usb, but would quite like a box on the rack with an app to run it.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd like a streamer, ideally one that needs a separate dac, as I will connect to my saturn R. I don't want to use a Pi, and it needs to have a user friendly interface.

Budget - a few hundred quid.

Any suggestions?

I will use my laptop temporarily via usb, but would quite like a box on the rack with an app to run it.
A used Bluesound Node2, should be around £250 if you can find one. It is fairly user friendly. Can control it with a smartphone or tablet. I use an iPad, very easy.

Reactions: rockmeister

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A used Bluesound Node2, should be around £250 if you can find one. It is fairly user friendly. Can control it with a smartphone or tablet. I use an iPad, very easy.

Cheers. Re "needing a dac" - I should clarify - I'm happy if there is no dac, or a cheap/poor dac as I will send the digital signal out of it.

hiacedrifter

Wammer
Sep 26, 2017
Worthing
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Node has a DAC but just bypass it, that's what I do, no big deal.

I've just seen a review of a Node 2 (not sure which version) and it was likened a £2k CD player, using it's internal dac! I wonder what it'll sound like connected to my Rega!

garcar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2015
ilminster
AKA
gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a Denon Heos, doddle to set up, app works fine and have never had a signal drop out in 18 months use (wireless) Should be about £225-250 if i recall. I use it into a dac and run spotify from the laptop.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Streamers live and die by their apps. The Bluesound Node is a very good bet; just take the coax out to your Saturn.

A dedicated 'network bridge' (i.e. a streamer without a DAC) that is a bit 'better' is the Lindemann Limetree Network bridge; you may find one used for a bit over your budget. The Lindemann app works very well, is stable and easy to navigate.

If your budget is strict to the limit mentioned then the Node is your best bet.

Reactions: garn63

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just seen a review of a Node 2 (not sure which version) and it was likened a £2k CD player, using it's internal dac! I wonder what it'll sound like connected to my Rega!
There is very little difference between the Nodes, the later ones have features such as Airplay but soundwise I doubt there is much difference. The DAC is ok but I prefer my external ones.
BluOs updates the software regularly on all the models, not just the more recent ones.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Will probably have a nice little streamer available in the next couple of weeks. Limetree Bridge / Plixir linear power supply. PM me if interested.

Reactions: lazycat

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Squeezebox Touch here, with decent app on an iPad. Can pick them up of eBay fairly cheap these days. Does need a Logitech Media Sever though.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another vote for the Node2, I've had mine 5 years now, running it initially as a full streamer. Over the last 2 years I've added the power supply mod so it's now fed via an SBooster LPS, I've also added an Audio-GD DI-2014 Reclocker and Black Ice Glass fx DSD DAC (via a Cambridge DacMagic Plus and mk1 Jolida Glass fx). Unless it goes tits up I can't see myself changing as my Node now easily competes with my £4.5k+ Lector CDP.

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's a Cambridge Audio Azur 851n in the classifieds for £850 delivered.

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another vote for the Node2, I've had mine 5 years now, running it initially as a full streamer. Over the last 2 years I've added the power supply mod so it's now fed via an SBooster LPS, I've also added an Audio-GD DI-2014 Reclocker and Black Ice Glass fx DSD DAC (via a Cambridge DacMagic Plus and mk1 Jolida Glass fx). Unless it goes tits up I can't see myself changing as my Node now easily competes with my £4.5k+ Lector CDP.
I've not heard of the Audio-GD DI-2014 reclocker - can you please enlighten me a bit as you seem happy with it, and I know nothing at all about any reclockers.
I'm trying to understand where it fits too - is it coax in and out, so between the 2i and dac?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've not heard of the Audio-GD DI-2014 reclocker - can you please enlighten me a bit as you seem happy with it, and I know nothing at all about any reclockers.
I'm trying to understand where it fits too - is it coax in and out, so between the 2i and dac?
Yep between Node2 and DAC, Coax or optical to Audio-GD then coax out.
I grabbed the reclocker used on eBay for £170 as I was intrigued by the reports about the Mutec reclocker (see thread from before Xmas) but didn't like the price of entry (£800+). In my system whilst it sounded great without the inclusion of the Audio-GD DI-2014 just made it sound more right.
Basically speaking it takes the Node or other input signal and reclocks it to remove Jitter, and before the naysayers become involved and take this thread of at a tangent. My ears tell me it works, it's effect is subtle but boy is it good subtle, it seems to have put more meat on the bones so everything I hear is more believable.

Reactions: Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep between Node2 and DAC, Coax or optical to Audio-GD then coax out.
I grabbed the reclocker used on eBay for £170 as I was intrigued by the reports about the Mutec reclocker (see thread from before Xmas) but didn't like the price of entry (£800+). In my system whilst it sounded great without the inclusion of the Audio-GD DI-2014 just made it sound more right.
Basically speaking it takes the Node or other input signal and reclocks it to remove Jitter, and before the naysayers become involved and take this thread of at a tangent. My ears tell me it works, it's effect is subtle but boy is it good subtle, it seems to have put more meat on the bones so everything I hear is more believable.
Brilliant, many thanks for that. I'll keep wading through the thread by The Flash and have a look on eBay.
I'm a big believer in trying and then deciding for myself - I certainly hope my post doesn't result in this thread going off sideways!

Reactions: Amber Audio

Amber Audio

This is the Day….
Wammer Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Aberdeenshire
AKA
Angus
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now there is a new NODE 2021 model (I have one in my office) the older models are coming up more often around the £200-250 Another option available used is the Auralic Aries Mini - similar to the Node but can also take a hard disk internally, it has a DAC but you can use the digital outs.

The new NODE adds USB out but will cost you double what the previous 2 suggestions would.

Ruairi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 6, 2014
Belfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lols. I read this last night and came back to pm questions about that reclocker but I see they are answered already.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles