• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Streaming platforms: Tidal vs Qobuz etc.

Blodger

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2011
Liverpool
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just following up - still much preferring sq of QoBuz vs Tidal, but wondering if any Auralic users have experienced the problem I’ve encountered when using the Lightning as opposed to QoBuz app in terms of album organisation in favourites list?
With Tidal, Lightning allows alphabetical organisation by album or artist, or most recent - but with QoBuz it’s just random on Lightning but on its own app does allow similar arrangements.  Any suggestions or info on this much appreciated.  Will also try the Auralic forum.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never tried QoBuz as I've been quite happy with Tidal. My son, son-in-law and myself have a family subscription so it costs us £10 each per month for the top package.  I only use it a source of music, so the interface doesn't bother me as 99% of the time I'm using it through Roon when searching for an album and, of course, I have access to MAQ material, which for me (and my system) usually has better SQ than standard FLAC.

Reactions: Blodger

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Having now used each of the main platforms this becomes simply a choice between interface and sound quality, IMO. Spotify is by far the superior product but does not offer the sound quality of Qoboz or Tidal. You pay your money and take your choice but it would still be the former, for me. 

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having now used each of the main platforms this becomes simply a choice between interface and sound quality, IMO. Spotify is by far the superior product but does not offer the sound quality of Qoboz or Tidal. You pay your money and take your choice but it would still be the former, for me. 
It depends which device you are using. On my Node there really is no difference in the interfaces, apart from Amazon which is rubbish. Even on my computer I did not find that much difference between them. Apart from Amazon they all work for me. QoBuz has best sound quality. 

Reactions: Blodger and oldius

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just following up - still much preferring sq of QoBuz vs Tidal, but wondering if any Auralic users have experienced the problem I’ve encountered when using the Lightning as opposed to QoBuz app in terms of album organisation in favourites list?
With Tidal, Lightning allows alphabetical organisation by album or artist, or most recent - but with QoBuz it’s just random on Lightning but on its own app does allow similar arrangements.  Any suggestions or info on this much appreciated.  Will also try the Auralic forum.
I have an Auralic Aries G1. There was an update recently from Auralic that addressed this issue, I think. I use Roon, so not relevant to me but worth checking out if you only use Lightning.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have begun a free trial with Qoboz and have previously trialled Tidal. For me, there is no comparison with either service to the interface, catalogue and sheer usability of Spotify. Qoboz has the best sound quality, definitely, but is well behind the latter for the music lover who wants to discover new music. Trawling the most popular streams on Qoboz is like going back in time, and though there is nothing wrong with nostalgia whatsoever, it is the joy of new music that is what I want a streaming platform to give me.
If you haven't already, give Roon a proper trial. Once you've become accustomed to its immense functionality, it is, by a country mile, the best way to find new music and further discover/explore your existing tastes/bands, etc. I use Roon, with Tidal & QoBuz. As its all via Roon, there's no issue with interfaces, functionality, etc between the services. Roon will show all the versions of the specific bit of music that you're looking at (and this can be many indeed; often 6 or more different versions). You can then choose the version your prefer, perhaps based on the mix, resolution, etc. You can easily compare 16/44 vs 24/192, for example. Or Tidal vs QoBuz.

• Upvote
Reactions: Blodger and lazycat

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It depends which device you are using. On my Node there really is no difference in the interfaces, apart from Amazon which is rubbish. Even on my computer I did not find that much difference between them. Apart from Amazon they all work for me. QoBuz has best sound quality. 
I am really talking about the Discover Weekly, artist radio and so on. Using Spotify Connect on Cambridge 851n.

Last edited by a moderator:

MGTOW

MGTOW
Wammer
Feb 4, 2019
Poole, Dorset
AKA
Dave Wiley
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very much my view.

I signed up with QoBuz last week and have been giving it a go. I use a MacBook as my main controller for my 2i and it is works fine within the rather obvious limits of the BluOS interface.

Sound quality is rather nice too, less variable than Spotify and lacking the 'edge' that I often hear on Tidal. Some nice non christmassy church music this morning whilst I do a bit of tidying up.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm... should a mod of this forum really be prioritising ease of use over sound quality? Seems borderline whether you should be banned for such behaviour  :D .

• Haha
Reactions: Blodger and Jules_S

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I pay £12 a month for QoBuz which is what you would have paid for a top CD  in the 90’s My streamer cost the same as an ‘average’ CDP of the same era but it’s twice as good and we can play hi res music if we want. What’s not to like? 
I use to buy 2-3 CDs a month so 30 years down the line I have better quality and millions of albums to choose from.. I call that progress. The Cambridge app is all I will ever need and it’s free. I see little point in spending even more on Roon when effectively it does the same thing be it slightly easier but that’s what they said when we went from Vinyl to CD. 

It’s all personal preference and like vinyl and CD, Music platforms are the same.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I am really talking about the Discover Weekly, artist radio and so on.
Hmmm... should a mod of this forum really be prioritising ease of use over sound quality? Seems borderline whether you should be banned for such behaviour  :D .
I've always been a knob!

It is my love of music that would lead me to Spotify rather than the others. Hopefully, improvements to all the services will enhance both sound and interface.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am really talking about the Discover Weekly, artist radio and so on. Using Spotify Connect on Cambridge 851n.
I see, I don't use them.  Deezer was the best for that sort of thing, better than Spotify IMO.

Tidal recommended a lot of rubbish. 

Do you have to set up Spotify Connect on your control device, as Connect does not work on older ipads, such as ipad mini2.

Just had a look at Discover Weekly but that is just mostly tracks, I already play or know, there is the odd one that maybe of interest to me. I discover new music in different ways. 

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've not tried QoBuz but may do. Like a lot of others I prefer the Spotify interface though I do like the fact that Tidal is integrated within Bluos and I prefer to use it that way. Not much love for Deezer on this thread but have to say it integrates with Bluos and their CD quality playback is fine.

I'm coming to the end of another 3 month Tidal free trial but see there is another one to sign up to a for £2 which I'll do. I use Tidal in my HiFi system but Spotify to 'curate' my online music and around the house with Sonos. The likes of Discover Weekly on Spotify I just port the playlist to Tidal along with any other playlists that take my fancy. Once Spotify goes to CD quality I'm pretty certain I'll just use that as my streaming source. Not a fan of a lot of the MQA playback on Tidal and where there is a choice I normally go with the CD version.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I pay £12 a month for QoBuz which is what you would have paid for a top CD  in the 90’s My streamer cost the same as an ‘average’ CDP of the same era but it’s twice as good and we can play hi res music if we want. What’s not to like? 
I use to buy 2-3 CDs a month so 30 years down the line I have better quality and millions of albums to choose from.. I call that progress. The Cambridge app is all I will ever need and it’s free. I see little point in spending even more on Roon when effectively it does the same thing be it slightly easier but that’s what they said when we went from Vinyl to CD. 

It’s all personal preference and like vinyl and CD, Music platforms are the same.

Some CDs are getting awfully expensive, if they go out of print, the last 2 I looked at buying were over £70 each. To buy on cd even half of what I play, on a streamer would cost many many £1,000s. QoBuz is £108 per annum, that is only a few cds, of the sort I would buy. A lot my cds have been remastered, I think quite a lot of 90s were pretty poor sound quality, some were awful. Streaming has revitalised my interest in music and I have discovered so much music, that I would never have heard otherwise. 

I looked into Roon but did not see any point if just streaming from Tidal, QoBuz etc. 

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you haven't already, give Roon a proper trial. Once you've become accustomed to its immense functionality, it is, by a country mile, the best way to find new music and further discover/explore your existing tastes/bands, etc. I use Roon, with Tidal & QoBuz. As its all via Roon, there's no issue with interfaces, functionality, etc between the services. Roon will show all the versions of the specific bit of music that you're looking at (and this can be many indeed; often 6 or more different versions). You can then choose the version your prefer, perhaps based on the mix, resolution, etc. You can easily compare 16/44 vs 24/192, for example. Or Tidal vs QoBuz.
But Roon will only show you what is on QoBuz, if you are streaming from QoBuz? Yes many albums have different versions, some well over 6, Tidal has a less choice I have found, often only 1 or 2 versions, which can be a issue with some recordings. 

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But Roon will only show you what is on QoBuz, if you are streaming from QoBuz? Yes many albums have different versions, some well over 6, Tidal has a less choice I have found, often only 1 or 2 versions, which can be a issue with some recordings. 
If you only subscribe to QoBuz, then Roon will show the available versions in QoBuz plus whatever files you have stored locally. By subscribing to both Tidal & QoBuz, the available choices and versions for artists is significantly widened (i.e. Tidal fills in an artist catalogue if incomplete on QoBuz and vice versa).

Many people (as can be seen from comments on this thread, forum and elsewhere) just see Roon as another method to control a streaming subscription, play local files, etc. That functionality is extremely basic in Roon; all the other stuff it can do to enable discovery and enjoyment of music is immense. It really does need to be properly experienced, set up properly, over quite a period in order for users to fully realise and exploit its potential.

Blodger

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2011
Liverpool
AKA
Roger
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have an Auralic Aries G1. There was an update recently from Auralic that addressed this issue, I think. I use Roon, so not relevant to me but worth checking out if you only use Lightning.
Thanks Simon - I'll check this out.  Like you I have the G1.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdak02