Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My question was more could it be that it’s THESE studio speakers that don’t suit your home listening tastes, rather than studio speakers per se?
Well they are the only ones that I have tried and so technically you are correct. But given their technical specs they the gold standard of what a studio monitor should be which is why I positioned it like this. Another way of positioning it is to say professional BBC passive vs 2020 professional active. Clearly not definitive but an interesting comparison. 

lordmortlock

Lordmortlock
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably fair to assume that there’s less variation in sound ‘signature’ with different studio monitors than hifi speakers right? 

As I mentioned, very relevant to me at the moment. Thanks for posting this, it’s probably stopped me grabbing a pair of Genelec 8030c blind. I might actually (shock horror) go a listen to a pair first now 😄

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Probably fair to assume that there’s less variation in sound ‘signature’ with different studio monitors than hifi speakers right? 

As I mentioned, very relevant to me at the moment. Thanks for posting this, it’s probably stopped me grabbing a pair of Genelec 8030c blind. I might actually (shock horror) go a listen to a pair first now 😄
There is variation in studio monitors. I like the Genlecs for mixing but have never tried them for listening to music. A key difference is that many studio monitors are voiced to be listened to nearfield. Is that how you will listen to them?

lordmortlock

Lordmortlock
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is variation in studio monitors. I like the Genlecs for mixing but have never tried them for listening to music. A key difference is that many studio monitors are voiced to be listened to nearfield. Is that how you will listen to them?
More mid field really, 2-3 metres away. Much closer than in my last room, so it’ll be a very different experience.

Genelec sell the 8030c as the G3 too, for domestic use. There’s very little (no?) difference between the spec, and general consensus online is that they work better at some distance than many of their contemporaries, 83xx series included. 

moo-fi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2009
Doncaster
AKA
Fred
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Genelec do a distance calculator online which may be handy to browse when considering their models. I use 8351 and  W371, but I wouldn't want them at home, whilst the Hedd 20's I would be more than happy with. Another monitor which translates well to home environments are the Event Opal which may well be worth considering (I used to have these, but replaced them with the Hedd's as our tracking engineer wanted them).

lordmortlock

Lordmortlock
Wammer
Jun 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Genelec do a distance calculator online which may be handy to browse when considering their models. I use 8351 and  W371, but I wouldn't want them at home, whilst the Hedd 20's I would be more than happy with. Another monitor which translates well to home environments are the Event Opal which may well be worth considering (I used to have these, but replaced them with the Hedd's as our tracking engineer wanted them).
More good info, thanks. That’s in line with a lot of other online comments re the 83XX series.

Are they just too clean or is it more about dispersion and listening distance?

Last edited by a moderator:

moo-fi

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2009
Doncaster
AKA
Fred
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Genelec's tend to highlight everything wrong in your music recording, great in the studio, not so good at home. Distance for these is no particular issue, we use them as mid-fields along with big Quested mains which are soffit mounted. They both work well together as the Quested produce a massive sound with loads of drive , whilst the Genelec's are forensic in their detail retrieval. 

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Genelec's tend to highlight everything wrong in your music recording, great in the studio, not so good at home. 
And this is the whole point of a decent studio monitor. Maybe ‘ok’ on classical music. 

You really need to demo. Most online shops will give you 30 days home demo with no hassle refund if you don’t like them. Don’t bother with a demo in a pro audio shop. 

Reactions: moo-fi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles