Stupid question: What's the difference...

2022 The WAM show

Smokestack

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Let's just conclude that if everything rattles about and rings like buggery...

...it'll sound like sh*te .

Smokestack

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Just to drop a lion in amongst the pigeons, but differences in turntables can be heard on headphones.
Of course they can . With a competently designed turntable in sensible domestic  listening conditions "acoustic feedback" is not a significant artefact.

..and to  bring this saga full circle .

The accepted wisdom in the old days was that floating  sub-chassis turntables were a good idea and often performed well  because  they better resisted acoustic feedback.

The more important performance  feature of a floating sub-chassis is,  in fact,  that it helps a belt drive turntable to revolve consistently at the right speed ! :D

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The more important performance  feature of a floating sub-chassis is,  in fact,  that it helps a belt drive turntable to revolve consistently at the right speed ! :D
How does it do this?

Personally I hate floating t/ts just because they make me nervous - all that bouncing around. I prefer mass and damping to achieve the same thing, purely from a stylus safety perspective - nothing to do with SQ :)

Muckplaster

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2013
Stoke Trister
AKA
Edward Harris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Let's just conclude that if everything rattles about and rings like buggery...

...it'll sound like sh*te .
Exactly, and that's what many direct drive turntables used to do. They were microphonic as a result of the lack of suspension and suffered from acoustic feedback if the speakers were close by as a result of that. Even if there was no actual howl round the sound would be impaired as a result.

Muckplaster

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2013
Stoke Trister
AKA
Edward Harris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No. It's obviously in yours.

Microphony is not feedback. The terms are completely different.

Feedback is, as it suggests, a process where the input is dervived from the output. In this case, an undesirable 'looping' process.

Resonance has already been explained above.
I owe you an apology. I should have said microphony of the deck causes acoustic feedback.