Sub £180 CDP's

bertie

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
Kent or Liverpool, ,
Hi, i am thinking about upgrading my CD player. I only have max of £180 to do it though so i was kinda hoping to be pointed in the right direction (not the door). Erm i was thinking about a 63 ki sig or a rega planet 2000. But i am not sure what they cost second hand.

Anyway any help would be great

cheers

A

A.N.

depends what your upgrading from, but without repetativness, meridian 206/207/208.

will wee-wee over anything near that kind of money. no brainer imo.
smile.png

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
bertie wrote:

Hi, i am thinking about upgrading my CD player. I only have max of £180 to do it though so i was kinda hoping to be pointed in the right direction (not the door). Erm i was thinking about a 63 ki sig or a rega planet 2000. But i am not sure what they cost second hand.Anyway any help would be great

cheers
Buy a brand new teac at about £120 why risk getting something that might break down when you can get one with 12 months cover box and all bits ie manual and remote

or this yam from av land

cdx396sml.jpg

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beresford TC-7510 Mk.III DAC (£99 delivered, I think) - plus any cheap CDP with a digital co-ax output - even a cheap'n'cheerful DVD player from the Co-Op.

Will leave any of the Meridians mentioned, or any other sub-£1000 CDP,an embarassing distance behind.

Check out this thread HERE

Wammer "kev" is selling his £2,000 Linn Ikemi CDP because the Beresford plus his elderly Marantz CD52 used as a transport leaves it in the dust.Stickman couldn't hear a difference twix his Wadia 25 DAC (serious ££££) and the Beresford.Stickman summarised: "If I needed to sell the Wadia, I could happily live with the Beresford as a replacement."

Others have found similar.

I had to go to a £4500 RRP Burmester CDP to get a significantly better sound.

You may not like the Beresford - fairenough - but there is a several week period for a full refund if you return it. See eBay sale HERE

stickman

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Phil
JANDL100 wrote:

Beresford TC-7510 Mk.III DAC (£99 delivered, I think) - plus any cheap CDP with a digital co-ax output - even a cheap'n'cheerful DVD player from the Co-Op.
My bedroom system....

A Marantz CD52 (for the princely sum of £12 off eBay), a cheap digital interconnect I had lying around and the Beresford.

I won't be replacing it anytime soon - unless my PS1 beats it.
biggrin.png

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
icehockeyboy wrote:

Jerry, would i benefit from buying one of these dacs?
I suspect so. You will lose that "valve flavour" though. Personally (and it is a personal thing) I came to regard that as anintrusive colouration in the Minimax.

I think the Beresfordis more neutral.

If you fancy trying the Beresfordas an upgrade, Stanley Beresford is a top guy to deal with (as many other folks here and elsewhere have posted) and the refund-if-not-happy policy is no-hassle and genuine. Bear in mind that you need to run it for a few days though to get it to start opening up. It sounds fairly grotty straight out of the box.

The Minimax CDPis bloody good, though. IMO you can get far less (sound quality) for far more (money)!

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
stickman wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:
My bedroom system....

A Marantz CD52 (for the princely sum of £12 off eBay), a cheap digital interconnect I had lying around and the Beresford.

I won't be replacing it anytime soon - unless my PS1 beats it.
biggrin.png
Stickman - have you changed your mind about how good the Beresford is compared to your Wadia? "Bedroom system" might not be that tough a challenge !!

stickman

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Phil
Jerry,

my opinion is still as it was when I posted that comment. I haven't done any further comparison and I don't feel the need to.

The Wadia resides in my main system because it allows me to use my power amp (BOW Walrus) direct and I'm going thru' a phase where I keep swapping between that power amp and an integrated (NAD S300) every so often. Evidence, I guess, that neither of those amps completely satisfy me.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
^^^ That's what I figured. It was just that your "bedroom system" comment might seem to be a bit of a slap to the Beresford.

So Beresford = Wadia 25 for Stickman still.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JANDL100 wrote:

Beresford TC-7510 Mk.III DAC (£99 delivered, I think) - plus any cheap CDP with a digital co-ax output - even a cheap'n'cheerful DVD player from the Co-Op.Will leave any of the Meridians mentioned, or any other sub-£1000 CDP,an embarassing distance behind.

Check out this thread HERE

Wammer "kev" is selling his £2,000 Linn Ikemi CDP because the Beresford plus his elderly Marantz CD52 used as a transport leaves it in the dust.Stickman couldn't hear a difference twix his Wadia 25 DAC (serious ££££) and the Beresford.Stickman summarised: "If I needed to sell the Wadia, I could happily live with the Beresford as a replacement."

Others have found similar.

I had to go to a £4500 RRP Burmester CDP to get a significantly better sound.

You may not like the Beresford - fairenough - but there is a several week period for a full refund if you return it. See eBay sale HERE
I wish I hadn't read this. Can a £100 DAC give a high-end sound?
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
In that case, I might as well channel the extra grand I would have spent on a CDP, to my next amp upgrade.
dribble.gif.d7c791c8c1fcd106b5acaa26ef2a6658.gif

Looks like I have to buy myself one now. Its quite cheap.

Is this site the official Beresford Audio one?

SS

bertie

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
Kent or Liverpool, ,
hi,

You all seem to be saying use a dac with a cheap cd player. Would that work with my Sony xe 330. Cause i thought that the better cdp's read the data off th cd's better. If i use a dac arnt i just changing how the data is converted to anaglog.

cheers

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
bertie wrote:

i thought that the better cdp's read the data off th cd's better.
you will mostly find, that as you go up through a manufacturers range of CDPs.. the 'transport' - ie. the disc spinning/reading mech. stays the same and the other components .. dac/ouput stage get 'better' - but using a 'digital out' connection, you can add these externally

thrunobulax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 3, 2006
derby, , United King
I think the Beresford mk3 is probably too cheap for its own good, some people seem to having trouble accepting that a sub £100 dac can be as good as some of us have found it to be.

Now and again these little gems appear and seem to turn everything upside down.

Its also usefull as a dac for the optical out on a skybox,if you listen to the radio via sky.

I feel it takes more than a couple of days to settle in tho, more like a week to 10 days.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A.N. wrote:

depends what your upgrading from, but without repetativness, meridian 206/207/208.will wee-wee over anything near that kind of money. no brainer imo.
smile.png
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif

No brainer - 206 delta sigma is I understand the baby to get if you can find one but either way the 206 is a sonic bargain and you can pick these up for under £150 on eBay. Also if anything goes wrong with it those nice Meridian People will soon get it up and running for you.

Uzzy:nerd:

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
p.s. I got a 206 for my daughter for under £120 on eBay last year - not a lot different to the 506.20 bit I have in my main system. I could live with either.

It is also a superb transport with coax digital outs so you can play with dacs later if you want

Uzzy

Uzzy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles