Linn Owners

Suggestions While Waiting For Your New Klimax DSM or Klimax Hub?

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quite a few people have ordered the new Klimax Hub or Klimax DSM, and the fortunate few have already received their kit.

‘However, for many, it may be a bit of a wait, before Linn can get their products out to consumers.

Texting with Akamatsu this evening, it seems that Linn may have underestimated the demand, and is probably  delighted but overwhelmed by the demand for these groundbreaking products. I also  found out from a Linn dealer recently, that Linn is not alone, in terms of supply chain issues that are global in nature.

First question: What to do if you are waiting for your new Linn kit, to pass the time, while waiting for your order?

‘The second question, is what could Linn do to increase production of the new Linn Klimax Organik DSM’s and Klimax Hubs, manufacturer their new Organik DAC boards for their Klimax 350’s and Exaktboxes?

Question 1, Passing The Time While Waiting For Your New Klimax Linn Kit

This is a good time to enjoy the kit you already have, and would be a good time to get your financial affairs in order, prior to delivery 

Perhaps review your music collection and see if you can get it in order before the new kit arrives. It might be a good time to explore server options, make your network more robust, isolate your NAS from potential Ransomware attacks, check out Roon, or streaming services that you have not tried before. Back up your whole music collection on an external hard drive device?

Sell off old kit, organize and clean up the HiFi stand and cable spaghetti, prepare the listening room for the new components, upgrade other components that may complement the new Klimax ….

Other suggestions?

Question 2, Increasing Production At Linn

I can only guess that the bottleneck in production for the Linn Klimax DSM and Hub’s is the manufacturer it of the Klimax casework with the CNC machines? Could Linn have other contractors such as Castle Engineering co-produce Klimax casework, while they catch up on orders? I also wonder if the strong demand for the Karousel bearings also requires the use of CNC machines, and if that may have an impact on production of Klimax casework?

Perhaps as Scotland and the rest of the UK opens up from Covid restrictions, that Linn production employees can go back to work full-time at the factory, if that is an issue?

Other suggestions?  😊

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: akamatsu

vicjayl

vicjayl
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
west midlands, UK
AKA
Vic
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep, I'm in the queue for the new Klimax System Hub and not a little frustrated at the waiting time.  But, hey ho, anticipation, they say, is part of the fun.  And my temporary old-style (2018) Klimax Hub is still generating the tingle-factor every time the system is fired up.

I wonder if Linn prioritises certain products on its production line, or if the single-station-build system produces items in order of orders received, so to speak?  And if Linn has a list of favoured dealerships who get priority?  Who knows?

Still, as life's inconveniences go, having to wait for a great piece of kit hardly counts as hardship.  And there's always that cable spaghetti to sort out, as Paul says.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think I remember reading here the Karosel are made by another manufacturer. Who knows if they have a freaking regime. Packaging and shipping will take a bit of time too. 

uk030

DSM guy
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Berlin, Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Excellent news. I do hope that Linn make a good profit on the new Klimaxes. Hope they then have enough money for R&D to have the Organik DAC and the clock improvements trickle down as upgrades for older boxes.

Craigas

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Went into an audio store yesterday and the supply questions came up, covid great for business but they can't get supply. He cited examples of amplifiers all built but they can't get the feet to finish them off, and cardboard boxes, a shortage apparently.

Flatcoat

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
The price of second hand cars are rising a lot because of a shortage of new cars being built due to the lackof computer chips to put in them.

7ryder

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Bend, Oregon USA
AKA
Chris Gossard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder if Linn prioritises certain products on its production line, or if the single-station-build system produces items in order of orders received, so to speak?  And if Linn has a list of favoured dealerships who get priority?  Who knows?
I wonder the same - my order for a black KDSM A/V went in on 4/20 and on the Linn FB page, a guy in the UK placed his order 2 days after my order went in and received his black KDSM music variant on 5/20.

When I asked my dealer about the wait time prior to learning about this, Linn told my dealer that it would take 8-12 weeks, but this guy got his in 4 weeks and our orders were essentially placed at the same time. 

Assuming that Linn has the appropriate casework for both models in house, I certainly would have thought mine would have shown up around the same time. 

I don't know what the reason is, but if they are giving favored dealers priority instead of filling orders based upon when they were placed, from a customer perspective, that's not cool. 

Chris 

andrew s

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 10, 2014
Cheshire
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
May I propose you listen to your existing set up with:

low volume 

speakers in sub optimal positions 

and SO setting totally corrupted.

That way when the day come you can correct the errors crank up the volume and enjoy navarna - sorry nirvana. 

Regards Andrew 

PS just joking 😏

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't know what the reason is, but if they are giving favored dealers priority instead of filling orders based upon when they were placed, from a customer perspective, that's not cool. 
I don’t know what the arrangements are for US orders these days - is there a Linn distributor or do Linn deal directly with dealers? Back in the old days, you’d often see a shipping container at the Linn Goods Out doors, or a stack of boxes in Goods Out as a big order was prepped for dispatch. IIRC they used to wait until the order was complete before dispatching it. If that’s still the case, then yours could have been the first box in such an order, but it wouldn’t move out of the factory until the order was completed. By contrast, orders from UK dealers can be shipped as soon as they become available. Could be just luck of the draw.

’troll

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t know what the arrangements are for US orders these days - is there a Linn distributor or do Linn deal directly with dealers? Back in the old days, you’d often see a shipping container at the Linn Goods Out doors, or a stack of boxes in Goods Out as a big order was prepped for dispatch. IIRC they used to wait until the order was complete before dispatching it. If that’s still the case, then yours could have been the first box in such an order, but it wouldn’t move out of the factory until the order was completed. By contrast, orders from UK dealers can be shipped as soon as they become available. Could be just luck of the draw.

’troll
In the US, it appears that the dealers work directly with Linn HQ. Orders are shipped out individually.

Reactions: Moomintroll

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
What to do while you are waiting for your Linn gear?  Apparently according to the OP try to second guess Linn and how they produce things. :minikev:

As I stated in another thread, everybody I am aware of in the Hi-Fi industry (as well as other industries) are experiencing parts shortages.  Some have to do with materials that are difficult or impossible to get, others have to do with subcontractors having been closed down and getting back up and running.  Obviously Lyra or Ogura (who make the diamond/cantilever/coil assemblies for them) are behind (14 week wait for Kandid).  Rega is all out of the Elys 2 cartridge and thought they were going to have to discontinue it altogether.  It turns out the company they had subcontracted the cantilever to had themselves subcontracted it to somebody else (that's how things go nowadays).  Unfortunately the sub-subcontractor closed permanently so the original subcontractor just bought in a new machine so they can start making them.  I would call that a significant production hiccup.  This is just how it is.

If you haven't learned patience over the last 15 months, now would be a good time to practice. :(

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Went into an audio store yesterday and the supply questions came up, covid great for business but they can't get supply. He cited examples of amplifiers all built but they can't get the feet to finish them off, and cardboard boxes, a shortage apparently.
I suspect Amazon has cornered the cardboard box market. A vinyl copy of Paul Weller's On Sunset was recently delivered to my home from Amazon. It was beautifully packaged inside a record transporter cardboard package. Inside a box measuring approx 1m * 0.5m * 0.5m. All nicely filled with paper filler to stop it rattling around.

• Upvote
Reactions: Moomintroll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles