Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Vinyl is always the area you can quite easily blow your budget.

think order of priorities 

Deck... greatest cost, then arm then cartridge 

not sure what your budget is? Were you thinking new or used? Btw, vinyl is addictive 😜
This is the way to go if you are intending spending a lot on the arm and cartridge.   If you are going to keep all to a budget then turntables like Thorens, Systemdek, Goldring GL75 and others can turn in a superlative performance with the right arm and cartridge for the former and cartridge for the Goldrings.  For example a Rega with an ortofon black or similar MM or a decent Moving Coil will IMO easily outperform a deck costing ten times as much with say an ortofon Red or Blue or similar.

The thing is with turntables I am convinced there is the placebo affect where because something is pure eye candy you think it sounds better (because you want it to sound better).  However, nice as a Girodeck looks IMO in outright performance it does not exceed that of a second hand LP12 or Systemdek Heavyweight purchased for less than half that you will pay for the Girdodeck ... then of course their are Rock turntables that can be had for a very good price second hand etc etc

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But how do you find the batons? The wall will still be vibrating, I would only mount a wall shelf on a solid wall. 
There are gizmos you can buy to find batons as well as wiring and pipes.  Yes the wall can vibrate but the batons are rigid and vibrate far less (and that is where the fixings need to go for the shelf).  As I said IMO having experienced most - I would prefer a wall mount but each to their own I guess :)  (I should add my brick walls vibrate when my missus is listening to Led Zep at 100 db plus) 

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It will be placed on hard floor directly. And will be using a Devialet with it, as it has a inbuilt phono preamp too. I guess the Devialet accommodates both MM & MC as well. But I will be going for a MM mostly as it is likely to be cheaper. And since vinyl will never be my primary source, don't want to spend too much on it :)
A Gyrodec is a very appealing device.  As you know, I’m delighted with mine which is its non-sprung, cheaper little brother.  Very loosely speaking, I’d say a Gyrodec is smoother and less exciting than a good direct drive, but with a more spacious sound.  That makes it your ‘cup of tea’, I suspect!

I would caution against putting it on the floor. You’d need to be very flexible indeed to cue up a record, and it would surely be much more susceptible to unwanted dust. 

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are gizmos you can buy to find batons as well as wiring and pipes.  Yes the wall can vibrate but the batons are rigid and vibrate far less (and that is where the fixings need to go for the shelf).  As I said IMO having experienced most - I would prefer a wall mount but each to their own I guess :)  (I should add my brick walls vibrate when my missus is listening to Led Zep at 100 db plus) 
It's ok if the battens line up with the wall shelf mounting holes. Even so they will vibrate far more than brick or concrete, my internal walls are very flimsy I would not want to mount anything of any weight on them.  

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's ok if the battens line up with the wall shelf mounting holes. Even so they will vibrate far more than brick or concrete, my internal walls are very flimsy I would not want to mount anything of any weight on them.  
aye well it is horses for courses .. I would prefer a wall mount but the missus thinks it is too ugly (i have a brick wall) but as you say if the wall is very flimsy then you are stuck with a stand mount :(  

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Modern timber frame houses don't make life easy for a turntable owner -  bouncy chipboard floors & flimsy plasterboard walls ¬¬
The  HiFiRacks Podium wall shelf I use has two vertical lines of mounting holes  - one line of four holes takes woodscrews into the stud of a plasterboard wall -
once you find it, which isn't too hard. The other 4 vertical holes can be fixed with heavy duty plasterboard fixings.
It's a solid enough arrangement & gives no trouble with footfall, unlike a floor mounted stand in this type of building.

• Upvote
Reactions: uzzy

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"...And since vinyl will never be my primary source, don't want to spend too much on it."

An important point, though your opinion may change over time! In your position, I'd just buy the Gyro and not worry. It's more than a decent turntable and if looks matter, it ticks all the boxes. It's sensibly upgradable for the future as well.

Position and mounting is a separate issue. I'd always advise a wall shelf as the ideal. If your floor is really solid (concrete) then using a small table won't do any harm. I'd be vary wary about putting a turntable on the floor, but mainly because of the possibility of accidental damage.

v1nn1e

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2010
Surrey, , United Kin
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had my Gyro for nearly 8 years now and IMHO, it's FABULOUS!

For me vinyl is partly about being able to 'see' the music being made and the Gyro SE does it with bells on. That's why I'd never upgrade to the Orbe platter.

IMHO, the only other tables that look as good are monsters like the Basis or Oracle Delphi, but they are mega bucks.

It'll also take cartridge upgrades well, so lots of options for experimentation!  :D

PS. I've got concrete floors and mine's on an Alphason table that sits on flat feet on the carpet/underlay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nopiano

Idlewithnodrive

You should hear our version of Louie Louie
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you really like the look of the Gyro and really want one, just go for it.

It is a very competent TT and the pride of ownership for you will far outweigh any miniscule performance gains you might get from other decks.

Reactions: newlash09

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

It is a very competent TT and the pride of ownership for you will far outweigh any miniscule performance gains you might get from other decks.
If you do the way of The Gyro, do try to get it on a wall shelf as this helps the sound of it a truck load. :geek:

Oh and the Gyro is endlessly upgradeable, this vinyl thing can be addictive done right. :geek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chivas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Knebworth, Herts
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
. And since vinyl will never be my primary source, don't want to spend too much on it [emoji4]
Don't count on it! 11 years ago I bought a cheapie as I was curious about vinyl. I liked it. A lot. I spent an awful amount of time and money in firstly upgrading the cheapie, then replacing it and then in upgrading its replacement. 99% of my listening is now on vinyl!

Enjoy the journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: newlash09

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A Gyrodec is a very appealing device.  As you know, I’m delighted with mine which is its non-sprung, cheaper little brother.  Very loosely speaking, I’d say a Gyrodec is smoother and less exciting than a good direct drive, but with a more spacious sound.  That makes it your ‘cup of tea’, I suspect!

I would caution against putting it on the floor. You’d need to be very flexible indeed to cue up a record, and it would surely be much more susceptible to unwanted dust. 
Thanks a lot Nopiano

After all the suggestions, I think I will wall mount it into my solid concrete wall with a robust stand fabricated out of metal and bolted to the wall. Iam somehow bewitched by the looks of the gyrodecs. And they somehow connect with me as I spent all my life around machines , and appreciate sound mechanical engineering. The other TT is looking at is acoustic solid and transrotor from Germany. 

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Vinyl is always the area you can quite easily blow your budget.

think order of priorities 

Deck... greatest cost, then arm then cartridge 

not sure what your budget is? Were you thinking new or used? Btw, vinyl is addictive 😜
Hi again radiant..I was thinking new. And an all in one :) , if something like that exists. Don't think I know anything about changing arms and cartridges. So  prefer to buy a combo new and keep it unmolested for as long as I can foresee :D

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is the way to go if you are intending spending a lot on the arm and cartridge.   If you are going to keep all to a budget then turntables like Thorens, Systemdek, Goldring GL75 and others can turn in a superlative performance with the right arm and cartridge for the former and cartridge for the Goldrings.  For example a Rega with an ortofon black or similar MM or a decent Moving Coil will IMO easily outperform a deck costing ten times as much with say an ortofon Red or Blue or similar.

The thing is with turntables I am convinced there is the placebo affect where because something is pure eye candy you think it sounds better (because you want it to sound better).  However, nice as a Girodeck looks IMO in outright performance it does not exceed that of a second hand LP12 or Systemdek Heavyweight purchased for less than half that you will pay for the Girdodeck ... then of course their are Rock turntables that can be had for a very good price second hand etc etc
Thanks a lot uzzy...that's some fodder for my brain. Will think over it. But it is very difficult to find good used turn tables here. So I will have to buy brand new from UK on my next trip. And preferably something that comes with everything that's needed to play right out of the box. As Iam not sure I have the technical where witall to roll arms or carts . 

So the options I centered on so far if buying in UK upto 2000 pounds were Michelle grodec SE and Nottingham analogue. 

If buying in Germany, it would either be Transrotor or Acoustic solid. But the Transrotor Zet 3 is probably the only Transrotor I could afford. And even that is almost twice the gyrodecs SE's price. 

• Upvote
Reactions: uzzy

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"...And since vinyl will never be my primary source, don't want to spend too much on it."

An important point, though your opinion may change over time! In your position, I'd just buy the Gyro and not worry. It's more than a decent turntable and if looks matter, it ticks all the boxes. It's sensibly upgradable for the future as well.

Position and mounting is a separate issue. I'd always advise a wall shelf as the ideal. If your floor is really solid (concrete) then using a small table won't do any harm. I'd be vary wary about putting a turntable on the floor, but mainly because of the possibility of accidental damage.
Thanks a lot for the clarification rabski :)

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had my Gyro for nearly 8 years now and IMHO, it's FABULOUS!

For me vinyl is partly about being able to 'see' the music being made and the Gyro SE does it with bells on. That's why I'd never upgrade to the Orbe platter.

IMHO, the only other tables that look as good are monsters like the Basis or Oracle Delphi, but they are mega bucks.

It'll also take cartridge upgrades well, so lots of options for experimentation!  :D

PS. I've got concrete floors and mine's on an Alphason table that sits on flat feet on the carpet/underlay.
Hi V1 ne

Wow..you've nailed it there. That is probably why I love the gyrodecs. The sense of it making music visually. Even I would never change the platter to an orbe, even if I got it for free. I would sorely miss the spinning brass counter weights. In fact I saw some video of the gyrodecs with a warm led light below of low intensity. And when the gyro was playing music with the lights interplay, it looked orgasmic to me :D

Reactions: Tarzan

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Thanks a lot my friend. I've been smitten with them since I first saw them. Was planning on buying them in November when I was in UK. But couldn't find a dealer in Felixstowe. Previously signals at Ipswich were selling them. But in my previous call, they were not stocking the Michelle's anymore. So will need a little more luck next time :)

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't count on it! 11 years ago I bought a cheapie as I was curious about vinyl. I liked it. A lot. I spent an awful amount of time and money in firstly upgrading the cheapie, then replacing it and then in upgrading its replacement. 99% of my listening is now on vinyl!

Enjoy the journey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot Chivas :)

Point well noted. And yeah I will not rule out that possibility. Ever since I ended up with my present system, the overall sense of satisfaction is so high, that iam not inclined to change anything anymore. So probably a TT will be a nice new addition with swappable arms and carts to scratch that itch for a change which frequents us in this hobby :)

And it could well become my primary source if the records get cheaper . The good records cost a bomb in my place. Just out of curiosity, are all the latest albums coming out these days, also available on vinyl in the UK. Thanks 

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Clearaudio Concept, is a great all in one package, and comes with either a MM or MC, priced from £1200 -£1900 so well within budget, and they are simplicity itself to operate.

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sevenoaks sell Gyrodec, so from Felixstowe, either the Norwich or Cambridge stores would be able to look after you. The guys in the Cambridge branch are great to deal with & one or two of them in particular are serious turntable fans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles