• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Sweet, smooth and neutral

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
5,222
25
93
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Can someone explain exactly what these mean.

I understand “SWEET†to mean clear treble without being harsh and making your ears bleed ???? Is this right?

Are SMOOTH and NEUTRAL the same thing ? namely a flat frequency response without either bass or treble dominating ?

Someone on another thread was asking about a stickie for terminology. Could be useful to have a dictionary corner for novices (and even non-novices).

And while i’m here, what is Red Book Domain, I’ve seen it used frequently on the HiEnd thread, but have no idea ?

 
U

Umberto

Guest
Sheva wrote:

Can someone explain exactly what these mean.I understand “SWEET†to mean clear treble without being harsh and making your ears bleed ???? Is this right?

Are SMOOTH and NEUTRAL the same thing ? namely a flat frequency response without either bass or treble dominating ?

Someone on another thread was asking about a stickie for terminology. Could be useful to have a dictionary corner for novices (and even non-novices).

And while i’m here, what is Red Book Domain, I’ve seen it used frequently on the HiEnd thread, but have no idea ?
Sweet to me means good midrange prescence, like the kind you usually get from valve amps. Smooth means lack of grain or harshness. Neutral means that none of the frequency response is emphasized.

Red Book Domain generally means normal CD recordings (not sacd or cd rom for example).

 

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
11,690
4
0
, ,
Sheva wrote:

Can someone explain exactly what these mean.I understand “SWEET†to mean clear treble without being harsh and making your ears bleed ???? Is this right?

Are SMOOTH and NEUTRAL the same thing ? namely a flat frequency response without either bass or treble dominating ?

Someone on another thread was asking about a stickie for terminology. Could be useful to have a dictionary corner for novices (and even non-novices).

And while i’m here, what is Red Book Domain, I’ve seen it used frequently on the HiEnd thread, but have no idea ?
sweet smooth all means what you want

Red Book is the standard everyone agrees for the specs of a normal cd player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(audio_CD_standard)

 

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
5,222
25
93
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Umberto Vanni wrote:

Sheva wrote:
Can someone explain exactly what these mean.I understand “SWEET†to mean clear treble without being harsh and making your ears bleed ???? Is this right?

Are SMOOTH and NEUTRAL the same thing ? namely a flat frequency response without either bass or treble dominating ?

Someone on another thread was asking about a stickie for terminology. Could be useful to have a dictionary corner for novices (and even non-novices).

And while i’m here, what is Red Book Domain, I’ve seen it used frequently on the HiEnd thread, but have no idea ?
Sweet to me means good midrange prescence, like the kind you usually get from valve amps. Smooth means lack of grain or harshness. Neutral means that none of the frequency response is emphasized.

Red Book Domain generally means normal CD recordings (not sacd or cd rom for example).
Cheers.

 

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2005
5,116
599
193
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sheva wrote:

Umberto Vanni wrote:
Sheva wrote:
Can someone explain exactly what these mean.I understand “SWEET†to mean clear treble without being harsh and making your ears bleed ???? Is this right?

Are SMOOTH and NEUTRAL the same thing ? namely a flat frequency response without either bass or treble dominating ?

Someone on another thread was asking about a stickie for terminology. Could be useful to have a dictionary corner for novices (and even non-novices).

And while i’m here, what is Red Book Domain, I’ve seen it used frequently on the HiEnd thread, but have no idea ?
Sweet to me means good midrange prescence, like the kind you usually get from valve amps. Smooth means lack of grain or harshness. Neutral means that none of the frequency response is emphasized.

Red Book Domain generally means normal CD recordings (not sacd or cd rom for example).
Cheers.
Whats Grain?

 
U

Umberto

Guest
ClassikFan wrote:

Sheva wrote:
Umberto Vanni wrote:
Sheva wrote:
Can someone explain exactly what these mean.I understand “SWEET†to mean clear treble without being harsh and making your ears bleed ???? Is this right?

Are SMOOTH and NEUTRAL the same thing ? namely a flat frequency response without either bass or treble dominating ?

Someone on another thread was asking about a stickie for terminology. Could be useful to have a dictionary corner for novices (and even non-novices).

And while i’m here, what is Red Book Domain, I’ve seen it used frequently on the HiEnd thread, but have no idea ?
Sweet to me means good midrange prescence, like the kind you usually get from valve amps. Smooth means lack of grain or harshness. Neutral means that none of the frequency response is emphasized.

Red Book Domain generally means normal CD recordings (not sacd or cd rom for example).
Cheers.
Whats Grain?
Grain is the stuff that wholemeal bread is made out of
biggrin.png


Seriously, grain and harshness are probably two and the same thing, usually noticeable mostly in the midrange.

 

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
11,287
3,806
208
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ClassikFan wrote:

Sheva wrote:
Umberto Vanni wrote:
Sheva wrote:
Can someone explain exactly what these mean.I understand “SWEET†to mean clear treble without being harsh and making your ears bleed ????  Is this right?

Are SMOOTH and NEUTRAL the same thing ? namely a flat frequency response without either bass or treble dominating ?

Someone on another thread was asking about a stickie for terminology. Could be useful to have a dictionary corner for novices (and even non-novices).

And while i’m here, what is Red Book Domain, I’ve seen it used frequently on the HiEnd thread, but have no idea ?
Sweet to me means good midrange prescence, like the kind you usually get from valve amps. Smooth means lack of grain or harshness. Neutral means that none of the frequency response is emphasized.

Red Book Domain generally means normal CD recordings (not sacd or cd rom for example).
Cheers.
Whats Grain?
I thought grain was Chinese for gain.
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif


 

stefanher

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2006
860
0
0
Lincs, , United King
AKA
Stefan
I'm not sure what they mean. Using my 57's with supertweeters gives a more neutral response if all other hifi gear is to be believed; without gives a more smooth & easily listenable response. Which is right? Is the Berlin Philharmonic Hall (neutral) or the Royal Albert Hall (smooth) right?

Stefan

 

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
6,194
19
0
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Sweet : Lacking distortion through the midrange and high frequencies

Smooth : No obvious peakiness in the frequency response

Neutral : Low distortion or colouration. Low measured THD

...but could mean anything to anyone.

 

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
17,311
64
0
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I got Sweet and I got Smooth but I'm not sure I have Neutral.:Upset: Is that like unsalted porridge?
tongue.png


Quickly and painlessly would someone mention some well-known hifi products that are good examples of neutrality? I don't think I have ever bought such a piece of kit for myself yet.

SS

 
E

earl of sodbury

Guest
solidstateman wrote:

I got Sweet and I got Smooth but I'm not sure I have Neutral.:Upset: Is that like unsalted porridge?
tongue.png
Quickly and painlessly would someone mention some well-known hifi products that are good examples of neutrality? I don't think I have ever bought such a piece of kit for myself yet.

SS
ATC & PMC speakers, Arcam 'lectronics; IMHO

hence one man's "neutral" is another man's "boring"...

most of us think we want neutral, most us don't in reality...

 

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
17,311
64
0
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Arcam is indeed boring...
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
:nup:
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif


PMC neutral? Thatmay put the TB2 lower on my Xmas shortlist.

SSome Like it Hot

 
E

earl of sodbury

Guest
solidstateman wrote:

Arcam is indeed boring...
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
:nup:
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
PMC neutral? Thatmay put the TB2 lower on my Xmas shortlist.

SSome Like it Hot
None of those are perfectly neutral - 'specially not the PMCs, but they're taking a stab at it at accessible prices

 

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
1,512
1
0
earl of sodbury wrote:

ATC & PMC speakers, Arcam 'lectronics; IMHOhence one man's "neutral" is another man's "boring"...

most of us think we want neutral, most us don't in reality...
You got that one right, EoS.:)Neutral to me simply means Boring. Most reviewers and forum pundits tendto use the word to mean that the component does not add nor take away anything from the sound which means that it does not do anything which means that it is boring.
wink.png
If a component is thatneutral, thenwhat is it doing in that system in the first place.? To pass on the signal unhindered? There is no such component.

If a word like Neutrality about a component came from the original recording artist who was present in the studio when the recording was being made, then I would give it some credence. But considering it comes from peoplewhowere not present at theoriginal recording, its not worth much merit IMO. It's just another audiophile term if you ask me hence the reason I never use it, except for now.
tongue.png


Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D

 

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
6,194
19
0
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Eofs wrote:

most of us think we want neutral, most us don't in reality...
The irony of it.

Hi-Fi is a shortening of high fidelity meaning faithful reproduction of recordings. A neutral hi-fi system is one more able to faithfully reproduce a recording. But the preference is often for a decidedly coloured or massaged reproduction, especially so with loudspeakers having a smile frequency response.

Nothing wrong with this because it is all about preference, but perhaps Lo-Fi is actually closer to the mark. Or Nice-Fi maybe.

Neutral is simply zero distortion between input and output signals. The straight wire with gain - the philosophy behind many amplifier designs.

 

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
5,222
25
93
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
earl of sodbury wrote:

solidstateman wrote:
I got Sweet and I got Smooth but I'm not sure I have Neutral.:Upset: Is that like unsalted porridge?
tongue.png
Quickly and painlessly would someone mention some well-known hifi products that are good examples of neutrality? I don't think I have ever bought such a piece of kit for myself yet.

SS
ATC & PMC speakers, Arcam 'lectronics; IMHO

hence one man's "neutral" is another man's "boring"...

most of us think we want neutral, most us don't in reality...
and i thought that Arcam was rich?/ lush? / full bodied? If its in fact neutral, then virtually all the other hifi i've ever heard is lean. Not sure if i'm mixing up concepts here:?

Whats THD ?

 
U

Umberto

Guest
Sheva wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:
solidstateman wrote:
I got Sweet and I got Smooth but I'm not sure I have Neutral.:Upset: Is that like unsalted porridge?
tongue.png
Quickly and painlessly would someone mention some well-known hifi products that are good examples of neutrality? I don't think I have ever bought such a piece of kit for myself yet.

SS
ATC & PMC speakers, Arcam 'lectronics; IMHO

hence one man's "neutral" is another man's "boring"...

most of us think we want neutral, most us don't in reality...
and i thought that Arcam was rich?/ lush? / full bodied? If its in fact neutral, then virtually all the other hifi i've ever heard is lean. Not sure if i'm mixing up concepts here:?

Whats THD ?
I had an Arcam Alpha 10 for a while and it was on the warm side of boring :puke:

 
M

murray johnson

Guest
mosfet wrote:

Neutral is simply zero distortion between input and output signals. The straight wire with gain - the philosophy behind many amplifier designs.
Would that be silver wire Mossie?

 

Forum statistics

Threads
108,076
Messages
2,288,179
Members
69,153
Latest member
kengxx