• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Tandberg Studio Monitors - Any opinions?

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been lusting after a pair of Yamaha NS1000M monitors for a while now, but seem to just miss out each time a pair comes up.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

I'm considering Tandberg Studio Monitors instead. Anyone got any experience with these? What sort of sound are they?

I'm looking for a neutral and fairly exuberant / dynamic / fast kind of sound, with real power and energy in the upper bass / lower mids.....
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

.... bit like my current JBL L110s (see avatar)- but more so.

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
I heard a pair a couple of months ago and was impressed with their big warm sound. But it was a very quick listen and I've honestly no idea how they compare to your JBLs. Sorry I can't be a bit more help.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah - OK - thanks for that. Someone in another forum has also replied "fat and warm" kind of thing. Doesn't sound like my sort of speaker at all!

I definitely need a bit of "bite" & excitement at the top end.

sad.png

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
I'm toying with the idea of demoing them if either of the pairs I've seen are still available once my finances have recovered..

The main thing that puts me off (apart from the fact that they're chuffing huge) is the availability of parts should they ever need work. Plenty of spare cones for Yams and JBLs, less I suspect for Tandbergs.

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
Hello,

I've just stumbled cross your discussion whilst looking for Tandberg Studio Monitor links for a For Sale ad on Pinkfishmedia..

I bought a pair on eBay a couple of years ago without having heard them before. I was pretty amazed! I had had B&W 805 Matrix's and then moved to some original 801s with upgraded, Matrix tweeters before these came along.

Comparing the Tandbergs to those two, the Tandbergs do lack a little of the 'air' of the metal dome B&W tweeters (though frequency graphs of the matrix actually show an artificial hump at the top end) but make up for it in coherence, as in how well the drivers all work together - everything sounds very 'natural' compared to the more 'analytical' B&Ws (? hard to describe what I mean..). That's what I would describe as the 'sweetness' or 'warmth' of them, not that dull 70's speaker sound that I hate.

When I partnered them with a DNM PA1 poweramp (known for great detail but only 30W) they really expanded stereo-wise and were really punchy and crisp. Not what I'd call fat and warm at all! I've heard they react well to lots of power.

If you're in Camden Paul, I'm at the Barbican so you can come over to listen to a pair if you like.

As I said at the top, I was in the middle of writing an ad - in fact the ads you might have seen around the internet are probably mine too, with all varying prices! - as I have two pairs (had a crazy idea I'd rent a studio space so I sought out another pair), but I'm inviting you to hear them purely for educational purposes, no strings attached. I've a rubbish-ish amp though at the moment - power section of a pioneer receiver. They still sound good.

Anyway, any questions about them, just ask.. it's pretty hard to find any info at all on them, can't remember how I'd heard of them in the first place..

- Nat

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
nat8808 wrote:

When I partnered them with a DNM PA1 poweramp (known for great detail but only 30W) they really expanded stereo-wise and were really punchy and crisp. Not what I'd call fat and warm at all! I've heard they react well to lots of power.

- Nat
Damn ( Hi Nat - HNY:party:!!) - I wish I could get to hear 'em - but out here in deepest Gloucestershire it's not really an option
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
HNY to you too :dude: (was still wearing xmas hat).

We could arrange shipping for the sound or something.. I'll have at least one pair for a long time (keeping the black ones) so if you're ever in London..

Yeah, it's a frustrating experience when you want to try out older equipment that's hard enough to find in the first place. I always, assuming I have the money, take the risk assuming I can sell on again for the same price. Ends up being like a 30 day savings account, sometimes a 90 day+ account
sad.png

Having said that, I do end up doing a lot of research, even buying old magazines but never found anything on the Tandbergs (I did just find I had a review of the Tandberg 3009A monoblocks though - been looking for info on them for ages and it had been under my nose!)

Nat

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
Hi Nat - it was actually your pair I heard when I collected the Meridian DAC! Small world
smile.png
Wish I could have stuck around to listen longer but I'd left a colleague in the lurch and had to dash back to work...

Appreciate your offer to come over for a proper listen but I've just picked up a thrashed pair of JBL L36s and there's no way my better half is going to allow any more speakers in the flat just now. Even if the wallet was willing!

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
Haha! What a small world! Maybe when I get some good amps, I could show off one lunch.

I had the "room for new purchases" problem at my old house, no-one said anything but I think it pissed people off having so many speakers lined up under the stairs. I can't imagine being able to live with a girlfriend until I shake off this desire to try new(old) speakers out. That might end soon as I've been given some Kef 107s (for free! need fixing though) and my girlfriend likes the look of them despite them being so big.

Did you get the L36s off eBay? Just searched to see what they look like and saw some went for just £17! Was that you winning them? Look like they should be mounted on their sides to get the mid and tweeter vertically aligned.

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
nat8808 wrote:

Haha! What a small world! Maybe when I get some good amps, I could show off one lunch. I had the "room for new purchases" problem at my old house, no-one said anything but I think it pissed people off having so many speakers lined up under the stairs. I can't imagine being able to live with a girlfriend until I shake off this desire to try new(old) speakers out. That might end soon as I've been given some Kef 107s (for free! need fixing though) and my girlfriend likes the look of them despite them being so big.

Did you get the L36s off eBay? Just searched to see what they look like and saw some went for just £17! Was that you winning them? Look like they should be mounted on their sides to get the mid and tweeter vertically aligned.
I might just take you up on that
biggrin.png

Yep - I bagged the £17 pair. Was surprised I got them so cheap but I think the duff woofers probably put some bidders off. Either that or they didn't want to venture into deepest Stokie to get them... Need a bit of work mind.

The L36s are designed to run portrait style but funnily enough their little brothers the L26s are supposed to be run on their side. Makes me laugh that these are considered 'bookshelf' speakers! I'm guessing they weren't using Ikea bookshelves in 1974..

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just bought a pair of Epos ES30 speakers (I should get them next week), so my query about the Tandys is no longer relevant - until I decide to move on from the Epos!
smile.png

Thanks for your posts, guys.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel