• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Tannoy speakers

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting, I've never heard about this brand.
Could you explain me more about why they would suit the roop better than frontported (or closed) speakers?

The radiator is tricky, however I havent had any issues withvthe standmounts so far, even at high volumes.
Shahinian speakers are omni-directional and so work well where a ‘sweet spot’ isn’t possible or desired. A good dealer friend has a pair of these and I have heard them quite a few times and was impressed. Am not sure about dealers as they are not mainstream but there maybe comparable speakers from other manufacturers.

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll need to look into them. Can't find any dealers right now.
Do you speak from personal experience?
Would they not have the same issue regarding the radiator?

Richdirector

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2015
Glasgee Skottishland
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the tannoy arden legacy in large lounge... 6mx5m x3. 6 tall and they fill that space easily. With luxman 20w at about 1/3 volume.... Big enclosures and big speakers move air better... Can you get a klipschorn cheaper in EU?? I heard a great setup in Dublin powered by 12w amp in a warehouse... Sublime

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'll need to look into them. Can't find any dealers right now.
Do you speak from personal experience?
Would they not have the same issue regarding the radiator?
Yes i have heard them and they are quite good . David f is dealer on here i think .the little audio co in birmingham

As long as radiator not boiling hot i cant see a problem . Probably best option for that difficult space apart from shahinian mentioned

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Nottingham
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A 3 hour one-way drive to the nearest dealer...
That's a bit much for me.
But would you go if your life depended on it? Ok it’s only HiFi! Could the dealer send the speakers to you to try at home? Many in the UK do this.

Lawrence001

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you leave speakers near a radiator for a few years the veneer will start to bubble or peel and the surrounds can deteriorate. I've seen a few pairs of vintage speakers that suffered from this. It doesn't have to be boiling, it's the warming and cooling over an extended period of time that can do it as well.

Reactions: bigrod

Lawrence001

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a radiator there as well. And the shelving unit goes all the way to the wall.
I meant place them on the shelving unit at the ends. The benefits of stand placement are probably cancelled by the current location in the room so I wouldn't worry about that.

andreweast

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2009
London (SE)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a radiator there as well. And the shelving unit goes all the way to the wall.

I'm not clear why you've ruled out the wall on the opposite side near the window. Why not have speaker on top of the shelves, or in front of them on stands? It looks to me like the only way you will get width in that room. Could you even have them wall mounted in the corners of the room, pointing slightly downwards? That room is a challenge, but I'm sure with some thought you can find a solution. The Shahinian suggestion is one way of dealing with it, but having thought that was a good idea at first, I have one reservation. Omni-directionals are great for many people, but if you love good imaging they may be not for you. And you've said you loved Tannoys, which are great for imaging as well as tonal fidelity. Shahinians are more about an easy all encompassing sound with good dynamics. Very different.

Reactions: DomT

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another audition day today. I visited two dealers.
At the first I managed to listen to:
- KEF R7: did not really do it for me, the sound was darker, less forward then I would prefer. The distributor happened to be in and insist that I listen to the R11 before making a decision.
- Spendor D7.2: easily best of the day, but also double the KEF retail price. Very happy when comparing to the other speakers.
- B&W 702 signature: very impressive bass, but the highs were too much for me. I'm certain this would be a tiring listen for me.

Second dealer, great guy. At least this one started by asking me questions.
We listened to:
- Spendor A7: nice to start with, very present mids.
- ProAc D20R: more recessed mids which was obvious in direct comparison. Listening for longer made clear that this is no dealbreaker for me. The sound is just not thrown out to you like the Spendors do. Bass is certainly louder than the Spendors.
- PMC 2524i: I liked these! Presentation between the Spendors and the ProAcs, but never tiring. Big price difference over the ProAcs. Switching back made the difference very clear, but did not put me entirely of the ProAcs. I preferred guitar music on these two for instance.
Going back to the Spendor D7.2, I found the mids too forward and preferred the PMC and the ProAcs. I did not expect this. I thought I would love the Proacs and hate their price hike.
I never liked the looks of the PMC's until seeing them today.

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
PMC often seem to get slated in this increasingly objectivist hobby, so it's always nice to read about (potential) buyers having a preference for them in demos.

PMC know their customer and just do their own thing. My only complaint is the pricing.

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
PMC often seem to get slated in this increasingly objectivist hobby, so it's always nice to read about (potential) buyers having a preference for them in demos.

PMC know their customer and just do their own thing. My only complaint is the pricing.
They do have a markup when compared to the ProAcs and the ATC's. Next step would probably be to have a direct comparison between the ATC and the PMC.
One thing that bothers me is that choosing the ATC's would entail a new search for an amplifier. I think that the Creek is enough amplifier for the PMC's and ProAcs, but will struggle driving the 85dB ATC's.

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d deffo have a pair of floorstanders there, as tall as you can, to fire over the sofa.

How high is it to the top of the speakers you have now?

Reactions: Cool Dude Ted