Tannoy speakers

andreweast

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2009
London (SE)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have two pairs of Tannoy Eatons - one from the 70s, but with special modifications by RFC, then the Legacy version. I'm indecisive by nature.

I would be very cautious about going for a 70s pair after hearing the Legacy as they may be quite different. It's not just surrounds and driver matching but the condition of the crossover that can let them down. And then there is the question of whether you would like the original voicing. And finally, they make different demands on an amplifier as the cones are much stiffer in the legacy versions.

The Legacy Eatons are very rich, smooth, and refined - they've really done a very good job in getting the balance through mid-range and treble with no irritating peaks or glitches. They are significantly harder to drive in the bass than 70s versions though, and in my experience the kind of push pull valve amp you might use with the originals does not drive the Legacy version properly. However that will be different with the Cheviots, since they are a 12" cone, and a friend of mine (Turn It Up! on this forum) did enjoy the Legacy Cheviots with some reworked Quad IIs.

When I original got my 70s Eatons the crossovers had been recapped according to original spec. The sound balance then was very revealing and rather harsh at times, with a peak in the 3-4Khz region. I sent them to Paul Coupe to rework them with this in mind and he did some mods that took that region down a little: it was only by about 1.5dB, but it transformed them from a speaker I couldn't live with to one of the best all rounders I've had. I've used them for over 3 years then got the Legacy out of curiosity. The result is a headache of indecision!

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm still here and I'm wondering if we've been down this road before with you? I thought last time it was an amp. IN any event, you are welcome to come listen to my Spendors in Brussels if you'd like and you can try out both my amps. I'm very tight with the owner of widescreen in Ghent and I have a good relationship with Sammy at Alpha in Antwerp. I'm done traveling for the summer, so if you'd like some help or another ear, nothing makes me happier than talking Hifi.
We have, I know. Other priorities meant no further attention to my system.
Right now my plan is to gradually try and listen to different speakers and see what I like. I was already happy to have heard four speakers last week.
I then might be able to buy something second hand, knowing that I listened to them and liked what I heard.

Ampwise I still am in the same situation. I need it to drive 2 sets of speakers and have a max depth of 400mm (including cables).
But because I bought the Creek, I feel more comfortable in that area (It's definitely a step up from the Marantz PM6005 I ran before).

Reactions: DomT

THOMO

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 10, 2010
Western Australia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is a big room.I think a pair of HPD 385s would be a good choice for that space.The 12 inch Tannoys might not move enough air.
You also might want to consider some JBL Studio 590s.They are not expensive but they have a big dynamic room filling sound and work really well in big rooms.They also measure extremely well for a horn loaded speaker.They are also easy to drive.

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could you take a pic of where the speakers would be situated to shed light of the surfaces around them? This could determine what speaker would be best

This is a picture I took earlier.
The right speaker can not move further to the right.
The left speaker is more flexible, I can move the toys and the desk elsewhere.

LS2.jpg

Attachments

• LS.jpg
    LS.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 10

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Be aware of the radiator on whatever speaker you get .

I would think a slim front ported floor stander like a spendor or proac would be better there.

Reactions: hifinutt

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We have, I know. Other priorities meant no further attention to my system.
Right now my plan is to gradually try and listen to different speakers and see what I like. I was already happy to have heard four speakers last week.
I then might be able to buy something second hand, knowing that I listened to them and liked what I heard.

Ampwise I still am in the same situation. I need it to drive 2 sets of speakers and have a max depth of 400mm (including cables).
But because I bought the Creek, I feel more comfortable in that area (It's definitely a step up from the Marantz PM6005 I ran before).
Got it. I prefer Widescreen in Gent over Alpha in Antwerp though both places are good with demos both in home and at the place. I think the first time I had to leave a deposit, but once they got to know me it was no problem to borrow stuff for a few days.

For second hand stuff, I use https://www.audio-markt.de/. There are often good deals coming up. I don't often see Spendor or ATC floorstanders in the private (vs dealer) section, but they do come up from time to time. Tannoys are easy to find.

andreweast

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2009
London (SE)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tricky room. Fine if you had a chair in front of the sofa to listen near-field, but otherwise you're going to be far away and the speakers will be very close together. Where is your listening position?

Reactions: hifinutt

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tricky room. Fine if you had a chair in front of the sofa to listen near-field, but otherwise you're going to be far away and the speakers will be very close together. Where is your listening position?
I mostly listen from the sofa, but would indeed like to add a one-seater as a listening chair in the position you describe.
Future plans!

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll be doing another audition next Friday.
Speakers include Spendor, Sonus Faber, ProAc, Triangle and PMC.
I was amazed by the price hike of the Spendor D7.2's, seems like they won't be able to fir in the budget anymore (from 5700€ to 7200€)

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Where do you sit for serious listening? As having seen your room and speaker placement (especially the radiator) I'd be inclined to say don't spent too much unless you can move them.

If you don't sit in a sweet spot but just want to fill the room with nice sound I'd advise some chunky speakers sat lowish nearer the floor somewhere else in the room.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why can't you place them at either end of the shelving unit under the window and listen on the sofa?

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Where do you sit for serious listening? As having seen your room and speaker placement (especially the radiator) I'd be inclined to say don't spent too much unless you can move them.

If you don't sit in a sweet spot but just want to fill the room with nice sound I'd advise some chunky speakers sat lowish nearer the floor somewhere else in the room.
On that note a pair of Shahinians might work well for the OP.

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good idea. Arcs would suit that space nicely.
Interesting, I've never heard about this brand.
Could you explain me more about why they would suit the roop better than frontported (or closed) speakers?

The radiator is tricky, however I havent had any issues withvthe standmounts so far, even at high volumes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles