Tannoys or 'stats - one has to go . . .

liffy99

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2006
Glastonbury, ,
Well, one set has to go as I don't have space for both. Either . . .

Tannoy DMT15s (Mk1)

These fantastic 'speakers have had some of the crossover caps replaced by Mundorf equivalents. They were used in recording studios I believe and so have much higher power handling headroom than the domestic 15" dual concentric drivers (300W rms) and are very effiicient (98db). Complete with custom made steel stands that raise them about 10" from the floor. The cabinets are big (well, 100l so there are plenty of larger Tannoys) and measure about 3' x 2' x 18". Constructed from twin layers up to 38mm thick and braced. They are grey (a mix of grey frame with melamine veneer to reduce resonance) and complete with removable grille covers.

At the moment I am running them without crossovers (letting my amp do the crossover stuff) although tbh there's not a huge difference with running them with. They do love bi-amping (crossovers have settings to alter the relative output levels of woofer and tweeter sections). Will post photos in due course. £1000 all in.

Final 400i electrostatics + Lyngdorf W210 corner woofers

The 'stats had their panels replaced and upgraded 3 years ago by Twinstatic Audio in Holland (the originals were, apparently, prone to the coating slowly disintegrating). Very room friendly at approx 4' x 12" x 2" in silver anodised frame with black grills. You do need a sub of some sort though unless all you listen to are female vocals and violins. 86db efficient (although I feel they do need a decent amount of welly).

I supplement them with a pair of piano gloss black Lyngdorf W210 corner woofers (passive bass units) crossed over (active bi-amping) at about 250Hz. This saves the 'stats from having to worry about large panel excursion at low bass frequencies and lets them play a little louder. These are designed for corner use (handy for the WAF) and make use of room reinforcement. Quoted 96db effiicient for the two 10" lightweight coned woofers in each enclosure. These are not your normal subs - they are passive and designed to crossover at higher points than a normal sub due to their lightweight and fast reacting cones. Photos to follow. £1200 all in.

As mentioned one setup has to go . . . . I live near Glastonbury, Somerset.

Sorry for the photo quality . . .

Fianlside.jpg

FinalW210.jpg

Tannoy%20Single.jpg

Tannoys%20Main.jpg

Tannoy%20Naked.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles