• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Thales tone arm

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone seen this, and thought.......hang on...didnt Garrard do an arm like this about a hundred years ago? wasnt it called the zero 100 or summat?

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hopefully they've put some bearings that work in the headshell, unlike Garrard............
wink.png

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Should do - I've owned/repaired/restored/sworn ata Zero 100,3 Zero 100SB's and a GT55 (that replaced the Zero 100).................
wink.png

Actually not a bad deck, particularly the GT55 in which they did finally remember to put some headshell bearings.

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
The Thales seems WAY more complex in its motion than the old Garrard, to the extent thatI'm stilltrying to get my head round exactlyhow it works (maybe seeing one in the flesh would help) It seems so complex its would be surprising of it worked at all, but of course could well be wrong.

some pics I found on the interweb:

thales1.jpg

thales2_600.jpg

The Garrardversion of this ideais pretty sweetI thought... its just needed to be executed with some better string and sicky tape
smile.png

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Fixed antiskating though.

I'm not entirely sure that a simple swivel headshell wouldn't achieve the same thing.

M

murray johnson

It certainly contradicts theories about the required rigidity in tonearms that the likes of SME feel are important. As the SME is the best pivoted arm I've listened to, it would be fascinating to hear how something as apparently flimsy and complex as this actually sounds in comparison. I'm not sure that the tracking error problems in a conventional pivoted arm are so serious that a solution like this is really necessary.

I haven't seen the review. What do they compare it with, what do they conclude and how much does it cost?

Sid and Coke

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2005
nr St Andrews, Fife,
I'm pretty sure i saw some other arm recently that had a swiveling headshell, i believe that the pivot point was behind the stylus tip so that the cart kind of'dragged' itself straight in relation to the groove by the friction of the diamond against the vinyl....

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Sid and Coke wrote:

I'm pretty sure i saw some other arm recently that had a swiveling headshell, i believe that the pivot point was behind the stylus tip so that the cart kind of'dragged' itself straight in relation to the groove by the friction of the diamond against the vinyl....
A japanese built arm called the RS1 maybe buy 47 Labs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel