• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Thanks Hawk

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
32,264
552
173
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quick thanks to Hawk for changing the way i think about HiFi today. I was priveliged to enjoy an all too brief (traffic delays:grrr:) liason with Hawks uber HiFi this afternoon, and Papa (good to see you again mate) will agree, it is something quite special.

HiFI is the wrong term for it. It does all of those HiFi tricks, they are all there, but they are subtle. The system is far more concerned with presenting you with "music". Something Tony talks about a lot, I think he would appreicate Hawks system actually. Although I suspect it is something a long way from his own rig.

Stevie Ray Vaughan playing Tin pan alley nearly made me cry. It was so involving, yet subtle and not at all in yer face... yet some how all encompasing. You felt as though you were immersed in the music. Each note could be clearly defined, each clack of the drum stick off the rim was visceral and yet not pushed at you. Just simply presented as part of the music. A truly great system, it allowed you to choose what you wanted form it, and then tune in.. or out.

Is it perfect? Well... I would like more bass extension, but if that was my rig, I would soon forget that minor caveat.. i'd be too busy enjoying my music to worry. Also the bass is so tuneful and real that it is always convincing. You can't help but enjoy listening to systems like this.

Now, who would like to buy a kidney. Its been abused a bit over the years, but its perfectly servicable.
biggrin.png


BTW Neil, nice cookies and that Tea bag was awesome
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif


 

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
3,909
2
68
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
What would you prefer small speakers that work in real life rooms and makes that noise or the big rig of JJ's?

 

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
32,264
552
173
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ant wrote:

What would you prefer small speakers that work in real life rooms and makes that noise or the big rig of JJ's?
oooh now you are asking... That is a tricky one. I like a BIG sound, Neils rig provides that, but in a different way to JJ's super system. In my house, I would take Neils rig any day of the week. In a monster listening room, I would probably have the Rockports....for a while.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
biggrin.png


 

Picard

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
1,518
5
68
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
bloody hell that ps3 must be really good! anyway, were you listening to the deck or cdp or both?

 

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
3,909
2
68
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
HiFiWigWam wrote:

Ant wrote:
What would you prefer small speakers that work in real life rooms and makes that noise or the big rig of JJ's?
oooh now you are asking... That is a tricky one. I like a BIG sound, Neils rig provides that, but in a different way to JJ's super system. In my house, I would take Neils rig any day of the week. In a monster listening room, I would probably have the Rockports....for a while.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
biggrin.png
Tought question for sure. For me easy as I've already been brainwashed
smile.png
 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
8,091
3,916
158
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Polarbear wrote:
Out of interest what is Hawks system now?
Orbe (soon to be SME)

Opus 21

Kondo M77 pre

BP S20 pwr

LV IBXR2s
I would love to try the Kondo pre - methinks this is the heart of this system providing the amp with the signal to be able to work the magic.

Uzzy:nerd:

 

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
6,710
1,208
158
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Polarbear wrote:
Out of interest what is Hawks system now?
Orbe (soon to be SME)

Opus 21

Kondo M77 pre

BP S20 pwr

LV IBXR2s
Can't believe how much Hawk's system has changed since I first joined this place - and the cost
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
.

So is he going for the fully loaded SME 30 ?

 

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
12,907
147
123
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
griffo104 wrote:

Papa Lazarou wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Out of interest what is Hawks system now?
Orbe (soon to be SME)

Opus 21

Kondo M77 pre

BP S20 pwr

LV IBXR2s
Can't believe how much Hawk's system has changed since I first joined this place - and the cost
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
.

So is he going for the fully loaded SME 30 ?
I know what you mean - there obviously is life after Naim.

Not sure which deck, but i believe Neil is hankering after the 20 at the moment.

 

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
6,710
1,208
158
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

griffo104 wrote:
Papa Lazarou wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Out of interest what is Hawks system now?
Orbe (soon to be SME)

Opus 21

Kondo M77 pre

BP S20 pwr

LV IBXR2s
Can't believe how much Hawk's system has changed since I first joined this place - and the cost
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
.

So is he going for the fully loaded SME 30 ?
I know what you mean - there obviously is life after Naim.

Not sure which deck, but i believe Neil is hankering after the 20 at the moment.
Very nice
biggrin.png


 

Jasper

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
1,094
0
0
In the country, , Un
It's a lovely sounding system isn't it. I had the pleasure a few weeks ago and had a great evening. Somehow Neil always makes you feel totally relaxed as a host and it's not just the music!

 

Forum statistics

Threads
108,079
Messages
2,288,263
Members
69,154
Latest member
kawuschel