Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just buy an rcm. Then if you have the money dump the DL103 and get something better. Something at least with an elliptical tip, but some sort of fine line thing would be best imo.
l have an RCM, l suppose the concerns l have are;

1. Do not want to loose the musicality l have now ( Technics SL1200 MK2)/SME V Denon DL103 ( The SME V is going on the Gyro when it gets here).)

2. l do not really fancy shelving out a load for re-tipping etc DL103 are relatively inexpensive new.

3. There is the music lover's earworm; " Upgrade! Upgrade!":X

- - - Updated - - -

I'll vouch for the ESCO'd 103 , and I've owned a Benz Wood SL . I had and loved a Benz Wood SL until it had an accident which left it without a cantilever , I replaced it with a 103 with ESCO's saphire canilever and paratrace tip , I put this into a " Uwe " ebony body . The plan was to use the 103 untill funds allowed to send in the wood SL as a trade against another Benz .

However it didn't quite work out that way , I'm still listening to the 103 and I love it . The broken Benz is still in the spares draw for the next time I need a trade in cart .

I know 103's have there knockers , and I too have heard them sounding crap . To get the best out of them you need a tone arm that suits ( I lucked out in that respect with the DV505 ) and to be prepared to play with cart loadings .

I would choose the ESCO'd 103 in a wooden body over the Wood SL any time .
B'Jesus, it could be true then............ :nerves:

v1nn1e

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2010
Surrey, , United Kin
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMHO cartridge selection when it's time for a change is one of those difficult things as demo's are like snow on a desert and peoples opinions on sound vary as widely as there are pairs of ears to hear!

From the Hi-Fi World reviews, where they measure FR, the Benz Ace had a remarkably flat response and in contrast to most other carts no treble lift at all. It was the one closest to the VDH DDT II, at nearly half the price. The other one that to me would be considered a good measure was the Denon DL-304 but the output is poitively miniscule.

When I got my Benz Gold it was a toss-up between that or a Dynavector 10x5 - in the end I felt the Benz sound was likely to be more neutral but less 'lively'

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
l have an RCM, l suppose the concerns l have are;1. Do not want to loose the musicality l have now ( Technics SL1200 MK2)/SME V Denon DL103 ( The SME V is going on the Gyro when it gets here).)

2. l do not really fancy shelving out a load for re-tipping etc DL103 are relatively inexpensive new.

3. There is the music lover's earworm; " Upgrade! Upgrade!":X

- - - Updated - - -

B'Jesus, it could be true then............ :nerves:
There is a reason the 103 is inexpensive. Imo it is not because it is a giantkiller of a cartridge.

With any cartridge you are going to wear out the tip at some point. Choose the best that you can afford the retip/exchange on. Summat like a Dynavector 10 or 20, or even a plastic bodied Benz would possibly suit if finances allow.

Or, like me, buy a Koetsu that will cost me an eyewatering amount to have rebuilt. :doh:

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There is a reason the 103 is inexpensive. Imo it is not because it is a giantkiller of a cartridge. With any cartridge you are going to wear out the tip at some point. Choose the best that you can afford the retip/exchange on. Summat like a Dynavector 10 or 20, or even a plastic bodied Benz would possibly suit if finances allow.

Or, like me, buy a Koetsu that will cost me an eyewatering amount to have rebuilt. :doh:
Thanks everyone for the replies :^l am a tad Confused.com- l am off for a beer:pint: :pint:

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Not a mention of the phono stage. Although many are fairly flexible as regards compatibility, it's better to be able to alter loadings to suit. Also, cart. outputs vary enormously, and 0.7mV output will swamp one stage, but 0.2mV (all at 5 cms/sec) will not be enough for another. The SMEV on a Gyro demands the best m/coil you can afford, and especially, in my and others' opinion here, one with a fine line or similar stylus.

If you've got a decent RCM, your records should only need cleaning once or twice using new inners unless you live in a coal mine. You'd have to play a Hell of a lot of records to worry about re-tipping and by that time you'll probably be in an upgrading frame of mind. Benz is good (and affordable) but so is Lyra and one or two others with a proven track record. depends whether you want neutrality, warmth or excitement. Whatever, make sure your cart. suits your ph/stage or you won't be getting v.f.m. out of it. The Five will accommodate most cart's, but avoid those requiring a high mass arm (not many) and preferably some high compliance cart's, though even these will still 'work' in a Five

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Counted Lyra cartridges out ( used own a Helikon and recently heard Scottyhammer's Delos- very nice but the exposed cantilever would scare my clumsy self:nerves:) The Benz cartridges get a hell of a lot of mentions though........

- - - Updated - - -

Only had two beers last night. :x

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Incidentally Benz is what Michell themselves use these days.The Lyra cartridges have an excellent stylus guard!
So do Koetsu, which John Michell used to use. I understand that at least top Benzes do not have a guard, which to me is quite an oversight. I could have been misinformed though (I hope), as I fancy one myself.

Never had a problem with Lyra's prominent cantilever (Clavis and Helikon); it actually makes setting up and cueing more accurate. Lyras are also pretty rugged.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
l suppose if l was sensible l would plumb the Denon in to the Gyro/SME V then try that combo first............

- - - Updated - - -

However l am not that sensible. :dunno:

G

Well it can't hurt.

Rather bizarrely I never heard a Denon 103, so don't know what all the drama is about for/against.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Steve @ Michell recommends Benz carts with their decks :^ I have heard a couple now (cant remember which ones) paired with RB251 or TechnoArm on Gyro SE and Orbe, and its a great combo.

khapahk

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2008
Linslade, Beds
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Steve @ Michell recommends Benz carts with their decks :^ I have heard a couple now (cant remember which ones) paired with RB251 or TechnoArm on Gyro SE and Orbe, and its a great combo.
I've Benz Wood SL on my Gyro, with an AN arm and it sounds great in the system. I'd agree that the lack of a stylus guard is a potential problem but no disasters yet ! :upgrade:

k

Werner

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2008
Antwerp, , Belgium
So do Koetsu, which John Michell used to use.
Yes, John used various Koetsus. And let me play with them when I was a kid ;-) After his passing there were a couple of years of trying, until Steve got impressed with a Glider, which put him firmly onto the Benz road. The Michell Cusis cartridge that was seen at a recent show is Benz-based. (Does anyone know if that cartridge is going to be launched?) This is not surprising, as Benz have a healthy OEM activity.

Michell%20Cusis%20web.jpg

AFAIK none of the real Benzes (i.e. from ACE on) have anything to protect stylus and cantilever. But at least the mounting holes are threaded.

Redbrickman

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2013
South West
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've have the Benz Micro Ace on my Gyro SE. I auditioned two carts at the dealers (can't recall what the other one was now ) before settling on the Ace. It's so musical and seems to dig out more detail from my vinyl than I ever heard prior to buying the Ace. As Werner states, no protector, so just have to be careful :)

minorrevival

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2012
France
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been using Benz cartridges for more than 10 years with no mishaps and I'm easily the clumsiest person I know. It's better now I have an SME arm - I used to have a Hadcock unipivot and that was terrifying. The situation is slightly helped by the fact that the cantilever doesn't stick out from the front of the cartridge - it's only exposed underneath. I'm still jolly careful though...

Redbrickman

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2013
South West
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, my SME 309, Gyro and Benz Ace are a great combination which would take a big upgrade to better IMHO.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I've have the Benz Micro Ace on my Gyro SE. I auditioned two carts at the dealers (can't recall what the other one was now ) before settling on the Ace. It's so musical and seems to dig out more detail from my vinyl than I ever heard prior to buying the Ace. As Werner states, no protector, so just have to be careful :)
You lucky so and so, l cannot find a dealer anywhere who will demo cartridges:X, right l suppose there is little doubt that the standard DL103 is not as good as the Ace SL then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online