Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Don't panic! :nerves: Right my Gyrodec will be here soon and l have been looking into what cart to use, and the good folk on the Wam have directed to the Benz Micro range which a fair few people recommend and use, so l have nailed it down to the ACE SL, Expert Stylus do a good trade in scheme, so l call them this morning to place a deposit on the said cartridge, had a really good chat with the chap at Stylus, told me that their Denon paratrace cantilever bad boy was better than the Ace SL and this was £490, but both were an excellent match for the SME V/ Gyrodec and that l would be happy with either, then he asked me " what condition are your records in"? To which l replied all secondhand with some Charity shop stuff then he told me " Stick with your 103:shock: as it will be quieter in the groove, especially as you are happy with the sound as it is" somebody help me out arrrrh! What is a man to do? :x

banjoman

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2012
SW London
AKA
Deba
Why not spend some time with the DL103 first before jumping into a new cart? The DL103 is a good and rather robust cart - of course I find my Benz Wood to be quite a bit better but that's 7 times more expensive. You may be better off investing in a good vacuum RCM to clean your records thoroughly (in case you dont have one already) before dropping 500 quid on a new cart

G

Just stick with CD, this vinyl obsession is just silly;-).

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The DL103 is rubbish get rid of it as quick as you can. All DL103s should be rounded up and incinerated. (Other opinions can be ignored) :)

The guys at Expert Stylus have all sorts of weird things to say about wear on stylii, they told me that I should get a Shelter 901 retipped every 250 hours for instance. I suppose it brings them extra business!

Stick with your plan and clean your records

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It seems you are using and enjoying the 103 at the moment. I have to say that the only good use I found for mine was to px against something more enjoyable. Just get your vinyl clean. and keep it that way.

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Just stick with CD, this vinyl obsession is just silly;-).
Proof positive here that aliens are indeed taking over human bodies.

Next thing you know he'll be refusing to eat chocolate! :shock:

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Deba, keeping the 103 has crossed my mind, my Technics /SME V/Denon DL103 is seriously musical. although on some records you can hear distortion at the records end....... also l have a RCM.

Rob l agree:D

Kevin, l am no expert on this MC cartridge business and what ESCO told me on the phone was not what l was expecting- they were not pushy at all and told me l could have their top Denon to try to see if l would like it or not.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Proof positive here that aliens are indeed taking over human bodies.Next thing you know he'll be refusing to eat chocolate! :shock:
I Sir maybe mad but give up chocolate never! :x

Been googling the ESCO Denon DL103 and people seem to think it is a giant killer:geek:.

G

proof positive here that aliens are indeed taking over human bodies.Next thing you know he'll be refusing to eat chocolate! :shock:
Never!

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which people?

ESC?

:p

Lots of hype, be careful.

I've read countless positive reports of the Cartridge Man Music Maker too. Every single one I've heard was :td:

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
" Stick with your 103:shock: as it will be quieter in the groove, especially as you are happy with the sound as it is" somebody help me out arrrrh! What is a man to do? :x
If you are indeed happy with the sound Andy, then I'd second the advice.

Changing gear in search of that elusive better sound can work, but it can also back fire with the (often expensive) replacement not hitting the spot.

Ah, the real Rob remains alive inside that human husk.

Fight, fight for freedom! :fight:

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
l suppose one of the concerns l have ( well two actually:D) are loosing the boogie factor ( musicality ) if l brought the Ace SL ( to go on the Gyro) and getting it re- tipped every so often, of course it would help if you could dem cartridges in the first place. :x :) .

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Just buy an rcm. Then if you have the money dump the DL103 and get something better. Something at least with an elliptical tip, but some sort of fine line thing would be best imo.

crimsondonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2008
Agree with many of the comments above, I would -

1. Clean your records you mucky pup!

2. Stick with the 103 and enjoy your Gyro for a bit with a cart you know

3. Upgrade your cart later when you'll have a decent baseline of SQ to work from

(I have a Gyro also and its currently sporting a Shelter 501 on its Tecnoarm and produces very nice results).

early

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 24, 2007
Lancs
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I Sir maybe mad but give up chocolate never! :x Been googling the ESCO Denon DL103 and people seem to think it is a giant killer:geek:.
I'll vouch for the ESCO'd 103 , and I've owned a Benz Wood SL .

I had and loved a Benz Wood SL until it had an accident which left it without a cantilever , I replaced it with a 103 with ESCO's saphire canilever and paratrace tip , I put this into a " Uwe " ebony body . The plan was to use the 103 untill funds allowed to send in the wood SL as a trade against another Benz .

However it didn't quite work out that way , I'm still listening to the 103 and I love it . The broken Benz is still in the spares draw for the next time I need a trade in cart .

I know 103's have there knockers , and I too have heard them sounding crap . To get the best out of them you need a tone arm that suits ( I lucked out in that respect with the DV505 ) and to be prepared to play with cart loadings .

I would choose the ESCO'd 103 in a wooden body over the Wood SL any time .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.