I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With such a varied and huge discography I thought a resource for those new and old to the musical minefield that is Miles Davis would be of use. Miles' output covers genres across the board from the early 50's to the 80's so that's Be Bop, Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Cool Jazz/West Coast, Fusion, Big Band, Modal, Improvisation. His catalogue is a great way to see how Jazz progressed through the post war years up to the 80's and how many of the big stars of Jazz appeared in one or another of Miles' bands, people like John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, John McLaughlin etc...This makes Miles Davis a great starting point to learn about many other great Jazzers and expand your collection.

So this is not my thread its the Wams thread so post your experiences of Miles' music, likes, dislikes and all that Jazz..

I personally struggled a bit with Miles Davis music at first with albums like Kind of Blue, as it is put up there as the greatest Jazz album of all time by many though for me it did not hit the spot. It wasn't until I got a copy of On the Corner and then Bitches Brew that I clicked with the man and music, though I warn anyone with a sensitivity to Improvisational music to not start with these albums they are "out there" for many and albums like Kind of Blue, 'round about Midnight, The Birth of Cool are more traditional sounding Jazz albums are a better place to start though many others might point you in a better direction..

Reactions: Sgt Pepper

huwge

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2007
Cymru
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel is the finest 'classic jazz' available 

However, my most recent 'go to' set is Cellar Door

I find I don't listen to the Prestige,Kind of Blue, Evans/Miles era stuff as it has become hard wired in my head and therefore unnecessary to 'top up' so to speak

Can't have too much Miles though and I'm loving the way more stuff keeps turning up, even if some is awful

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sketches of Spain was my first taste of Miles, quite different I found out, when trying other stuff of his. I still cannot get my head round Bitches Brew though.

Reactions: deggie

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After about three years I am slowly getting into Bitches Brew, but even now I find myself listening mainly to the slightly more accessible second half (sides 3/4 on the vinyl version).

My favourite Miles era has always been that of the "second great quintet" period of 1965 - 1968. Although even the superb albums produced in this period are possibly topped by the two transitional albums Filles De Kilimanjaro (1968) and In A Silent Way (1969).

Ian found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Miles-Davis-Collection/dp/B005ELZNH0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1484937610&sr=1-1&keywords=the+perfect+miles+davis+collection   on Amazon a while back and one or two Wammers took the plunge (Sale Bargains thread post 499). It covers albums from the period 1957 to 1983 and includes many of his best known albums. At £24.99 I considered it to be a bargain unfortunately it's now up to £37.23 but still a worthwhile investment if you don't already have many of the albums. 

Guzziboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2018
Leeds
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You've not gone quite far enough in listing the genres. Don't forget Doo-Bop, his jazz/rap album, completed by Easy Mo Bee after Miles died.

i found KoB first, when I was just browsing in the Bonds record department in Chelmsford. It was 1965,  I was 17 years old and a folk music fan. The man behind the counter was a member of The Halliard, the resident band at the Chelmsford Folk Club. Paul Simon, Arlo Guthrie, Martin Carthy and many other then and still famous names played in the upstairs room in a back street pub.  I wasn't into jazz and had never heard of Miles Davis, but liked the sleeve, so asked Dave to play it. I was hooked. I've got just about everything he did in my collection, mostly on vinyl.

24bit

Wammer
Oct 14, 2018
I like everything except for maybe the very last albums.

This very album is a favorite; 

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't listen much to Miles - don't really like his trumpet playing to be honest, and his band with Wayne Shorter bores me to tears (Miles Smiles, Nefertiti etc). I like him best with good arrangements like Quiet Nights, Porgy and Bess and Tutu. One album I really like is Seven Steps to Heaven. That had a special energy. But for trumpet playing give me Freddy Hubbard any day.

ditton44

New Wammer
Jan 27, 2022
My favourite Miles album is the one recorded by Michel Legrand

Attachments

• R-2830960-1543035153-2170.jpg
    R-2830960-1543035153-2170.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member