Sourcerer
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There has been some confusion around the nomenclature.

It's the NG Klimax DSM, of which, there are three versions; Music, AV, and Hub.

I didn't figure this out until I turned mine on for the first time and it said on the front "Linn Klimax DSM."

I found one remnant of the old "Klimax System Hub" on the Linn website in the marketing copy for the NG Klimax DSM.

• Upvote
Reactions: Chris 1970

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When my dealer first talked to me about this boy, he immediately said: Linn should have given a new name to it, no more Klimax, and create a new level family.

On this forum, this family is named NG, because there is this need to differenciate it from the precedent production…

Not a good thing not having a name…

cspgqqt

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 13, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was under the impression it was NG  Next Gen, Majik, Selekt, Klimax. 
Yes, what does "NG" stand for? Who invented this cryptic nomenclature?  Certainly, it does not mean non-organic?

As a Klimax DSM/3 owner, I am confused?

PS: I now know it is meant by someone here in the forum as "next generation", but I think it is officially not by Linn, and it reminds me of something non-organic (like a bad chicken) !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Paulssurround

frans5508

Wammer
Wammer
May 24, 2020
Panama
AKA
Frans
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think we can agree that Linn's product names, especially around the Klimax DSM's and SH's, are super confusing and breaking my tongue of 'New Generation Klimax DSM System Hub version'......And now we have a Klimax Radikal 2 or an Akurate Radikal 2 etc. It's challenging for any product that is being updated/upgraded on a regular basis to keep names consistent across the board. . If not for this forum, these names I would never use anyway.

At the end, i couldnt care less how they call it, as long as it sounds good 🙂 

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think we can agree that Linn's product names, especially around the Klimax DSM's and SH's, are super confusing and breaking my tongue of 'New Generation Klimax DSM System Hub version'......And now we have a Klimax Radikal 2 or an Akurate Radikal 2 etc. It's challenging for any product that is being updated/upgraded on a regular basis to keep names consistent across the board. . If not for this forum, these names I would never use anyway.

At the end, i couldnt care less how they call it, as long as it sounds good 🙂 
Just to confuse things more Linn don't call it the Klimax Radikal and Akurate Radikal.  Their names are a Radikal/2 MH (Machined Housing) and a Radikal/2 SH (Standard Housing).  This is due to their positioning both housings as Klimax level devices.  This is made even more confusing as on the website they don't call it the Radikal/2, just the Radikal.  In Linn docs it is Radikal (2021 variant) but on the box it is Radikal/2.  If they can't make up their minds what to call it, what hope is there for the poor customer?

extremeride22

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 17, 2021
Toronto
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m sure there’s a method to their madness and for them it may make a lot of sense they just need to let the consumer how and why. Clarification could equal Satisfaction for one and possibly all. 😉😂

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can't we just append a numeral to KSH and KDSM for brevity? I guess we could add AV as needed to that.

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
LINN has always been the same. Often said they have some of the best acoustic engineers in the world and the worst product naming department. This has been pointed out to them over the years, but they plough on regardless. To be fair its a hi-fi thing with many other culprits around.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can't we just append a numeral to KSH and KDSM for brevity? I guess we could add AV as needed to that.
Well Linn’s own Docs site starts by saying New, then lists it as Klimax DSM/3.  That’s obviously correct, and I think that is your point.

However, KDSM/3 maybe doesn’t look - at first glance - so new when we’ve had ADSM/3 for a while and that was often referred to as Katalyst, or confusingly, AKDSM!!  And when you have K with DSM it might be Klimax level.  

Including O for Organik will become more commonplace once it is possible to get Organik in Akurate or Selekt products I’m guessing. 

Reactions: Paulssurround