Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tiny venue but a really good pub. The North are a 4-piece, well, a trio with a singer. They are tight, and some of their arrangements are imaginative, as you'd expect they should be if you have to reproduce a studio recording (with plenty of overdubs) using just drums, bass, and guitar.

Unfortunately, from my listening position, the bass drowned out most of the rest of the band. He's a good player, and was probably leading the rest of the band so it was reasonable for his sound to be out front, but it was a bit overdone in my opinion. Towards the end of the 2nd set it became more obvious that the guitarist could play as well, but his sound did little to turn me on.

I thought the choice of material was a bit dull and it didn't do a lot for me but the other punters liked it. In the 1st set I recognised Gimme Shelter and Jean Genie but nothing else. There was a bit more to recognise in the 2nd set including Come Together and Get Ready sequed into something else that I thought I recognised at the time but can't remember now, and then back out for a final verse of Get Ready.

The crowd called for more several times before they were allowed to pack up and leave. They've obviously got a slick system together because packing up to leave took minutes whereas in my gigging days packing up rarely took less than an hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles