Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I imagine that there will be a lot of Klimax DSM’s on the market soon, with the release of the new Klimax DSM’s 

I had a text from my Linn dealer just now, that they have now sold 2 of the new Klimax DSM’s with the Organik DAC’s.

‘However, they have a  Klimax Katalyst DSM to sell as a trade-in, and wondering what the market is like for the pre-owned and what it should sell for .

‘It was just upgraded to Katalyst about 6 months ago, and they are thinking it would sell for $14,000 Cdn/£8196 GBP/€9450/$11,399 USD

Suggestions?

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Will it be upgradeable to Organik in the future ?
I don’t think we know that yet.

‘It does seem likely, as Linn is upgrading Klimax Exaktboxes and Katalyst 350’s

I bought (and sold) many of my devices at audio-makt.de, such as my Klimax DSM and Solos. Also good to watch how many devices are to be sold and how the price develops accordingly.

https://www.audio-markt.de/market/start/?page_filter_field_usage_state=0&page_filter_field_manufacturer_id=2051&filter_submitted=1
Thank you

That is a good resource to know about

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
UK
AKA
Nestor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
KDSM/3 would upgrade my ADSM, but I’d be reluctant to make the move. If Organik trickles down to Akurate/Selekt level then I’d want to hear it first because I feel a Linn streamer with Organik will be preferable to one with Katalyst. Audition may prove me wrong. 

Reactions: Paulssurround

7ryder

Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Bend, Oregon USA
AKA
Chris Gossard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I imagine that there will be a lot of Klimax DSM’s on the market soon, with the release of the new Klimax DSM’s 

I had a text from my Linn dealer just now, that they have now sold 2 of the new Klimax DSM’s with the Organik DAC’s.

‘However, they have a  Klimax Katalyst DSM to sell as a trade-in, and wondering what the market is like for the pre-owned and what it should sell for .

‘It was just upgraded to Katalyst about 6 months ago, and they are thinking it would sell for $14,000 Cdn/£8196 GBP/€9450/$11,399 USD

Suggestions?
Here's what's currently listed for sale worldwide by private owners https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Linn+Klimax+dsm%2F2

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
KDSM/3 would upgrade my ADSM, but I’d be reluctant to make the move. If Organik trickles down to Akurate/Selekt level then I’d want to hear it first because I feel a Linn streamer with Organik will be preferable to one with Katalyst. Audition may prove me wrong. 
Should be an interesting comparison.

I look forward to auditioning this as well

Here's what's currently listed for sale worldwide by private owners https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Linn+Klimax+dsm%2F2
Thank you 7Ryder

That is very helpful

Reactions: 7ryder

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While I don't particularly mind discussions about pricing on forums, to me this seems a bit ridiculous on the face of it. You mean to tell me that a Linn retailer is having a conversation with an end user about what they think is a reasonable asking price for a pre-owned Klimax DSM?

I mean, it isn't exactly rocket science people. Just about any used piece of kit sells for anywhere between 35% and 60% off of retail based on condition, age, warranty, etc., etc. Regardless of brand.

Is this really something that the retailer needs feedback from a public forum to figure out? 

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If they have already agreed a trade in price with the customer, then they know how much they have tied up in it and, hence, need to recoup in a sale. If they pitch it too high, it won’t sell. Surely they also know how much they would sell an ex-dem model for, as an indicator?

’troll

Last edited by a moderator:

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If they have already agreed a trade in price with the customer, then they know how much they have tied up in it and, hence, need to recoup in a sale. If they pitch it too high, it won’t sell. Surely they also know how much they would sell an ex-dem model for, as an indicator?
Thank you. To me it is sort of like a "how to stay in business, day one" type of conversation and I find it fascinating that it is even occurring here quite frankly.

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

’troll
Yes, they have done that, indeed 

But they also wanted to get my insights, as I keep up with the latest Linn news

It was my initiative to post this on the Wam, not theirs, as I am curious. It may help my future decision making process if I go for a Klimax Hub at some point

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
if I go for a Klimax Hub at some point
What!? You have already auditioned in store, and are talking about taking the Klimax DSM home for an audition. I'm afraid you are on the hook for a new Klimax System Hub. You are in too far to back out now. :D

TooManyCatweazles

Vinyl Junkie with a DSM
Wammer
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it was, the question what exactly is upgraded would still remain. Is it only the DAC or also the ADC, and / or the master clock. Given how much more physical  space the New Klimax case has to offer, as compared to the legacy box,  just swapping boards does not appear possible.

As we have been discussing in the parallel thread on the New Klimax hub, it's not even secure knowledge, which of the a. m. components has the biggest impact on the improved sound. It may well be, that the master clock is the real game changer, but the DAC upgrade is easier to communicate as a marketing message. 

We need more time to listen do different configurations, and learn our lessons, before we can draw any conclusions.

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As TooManyCatweazles says the space in the Klimax box might be restrictive but the Akurate should give plenty of scope so might be better keeping your ADSM but let your ears be the judge....

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What!? You have already auditioned in store, and are talking about taking the Klimax DSM home for an audition. I'm afraid you are on the hook for a new Klimax System Hub. You are in too far to back out now. :D
It is all part of my diabolical scheme to take one home, and hope they don’t notice I have put an Akurate Hub in its place. 🤪

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As TooManyCatweazles says the space in the Klimax box might be restrictive but the Akurate should give plenty of scope so might be better keeping your ADSM but let your ears be the judge....
When in doubt, a band saw and duct tape is your friend

Anybody willing to donate a Klimax Hub that we can practise on?  😂😂

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it was, the question what exactly is upgraded would still remain. Is it only the DAC or also the ADC, and / or the master clock. Given how much more physical  space the New Klimax case has to offer, as compared to the legacy box,  just swapping boards does not appear possible.
Agreed. Judging by the size of the boards in the new box, any 2016 KDSM upgrade is likely to be something of a compromise compared to the 2021. That’s why I eventually decided that I wouldn’t wait to find out. The size of the Dynamik in 2021 also looks substantial - so possibly latest generation design too. At least the KSHub doesn’t need to house the DAC circuits, so a little more space available.

’troll

• Upvote
Reactions: TooManyCatweazles

linesrg

linesrg
Wammer
Aug 3, 2019
Aberdeenshire
AKA
Richard Lines
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good Morning All,

This thread could be opened up to include simple DS's????

I have literally just bought a UNG/ second hand/ pre-loved Klimax DS/3 Katalyst to replace my Akurate DS/3 Katalyst. It should be arriving on Friday.

In discussion with the Linn dealer off who I made the purchase he expressed a view that Linn might be able to squeeze the new Organik technology in to the Klimax case but did say that the electronics would need to be downsized to do so. It would be ironic if the Organik electronics could only fit the Akurate case - I couldn't see Linn offering the upgrade in such circumstances as a great many Klimax owners would be up in arms???

Looking forward to the arrival of the 'new' streamer. I was very impressed when I heard it up against a Klimax LP12 at Cymbiosis..........

I would certainly like to attend a back to back comparison between the two streamers.

Regards

Richard

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think your estimated price is in the right range, Paul.  The conundrum for me is who will buy it.  Let me try to explain:-

1. A few months ago, you’d know you were buying the top model.  Now it is superseded, so you buy it presumably knowing the replacement is three times as much. And it’s no longer the top dog. 

2. You don’t know (yet) if it’ll ever be upgradeable, and for about half the price there’s also an Akurate DSM/3 secondhand.  You might gamble on a £5,000 upgrade in a years time? 

3. Is it a sprat to catch a mackerel, because you can px it against the Organik and get more than you just paid towards the latest model?

There are doubtless more considerations.  There will be few folks who might choose a used one today, but the market is surely pretty limited.  Ironically, there is probably more scope to sell a DS, at a lower cost, simply as a great source for any system, imho.  

Reactions: Paulssurround