Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Poking around on the internet, I see that the Selekt System Hub is more expensive than the Akurate System Hub. But the Akurate DSM is more expensive than the Selekt Katalyst DSM. If the more expensive ones sound better, then this is rather confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reading al the positivity and technology on the new NGKDSM clock, a clock upgrade for ASH and ADSM seems like a logical step to me. Swap out the mainboard at the dealer and get back in the race.
I agree, probably together with the new 'house' case look. I gives a good opportunity to revalue the Akurate range (upwards of course).

To my eyes, Select has always been the high end "Kiko" offering - almost a parallel line to the Majik, Akurate, Klimax offering. This may well be changing - who knows?

Reactions: maddog_007

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Poking around on the internet, I see that the Selekt System Hub is more expensive than the Akurate System Hub. But the Akurate DSM is more expensive than the Selekt Katalyst DSM. If the more expensive ones sound better, then this is rather confusing.
Me thinks that SSH vs ASH it’s a matter of finish which weighs in on the price difference, the ASH vs ADSM the other way around is because of Akurate Katalyst DAC vs Selekt Katalyst DAC.

Sometime ago somebody asked advice on the forum for a setup on ASH and AEBi vs SSH and AEBi. If I recall correct he went for the SSH on dealer advice because of the SSH being the better component.

SDSM and SSH would be great platforms to benefit from Organik or potential clock upgrade because of its cartridge infrastructure. To be honest, if a SSH would be a better source then ASH I would be interested as I like the Selekt design.

Reactions: akamatsu

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I agree, probably together with the new 'house' case look. I gives a good opportunity to revalue the Akurate range (upwards of course).

To my eyes, Select has always been the high end "Kiko" offering - almost a parallel line to the Majik, Akurate, Klimax offering. This may well be changing - who knows?
I think you are right, it would be logical IMHO.

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SDSM and SSH would be great platforms to benefit from Organik or potential clock upgrade because of its cartridge infrastructure. To be honest, if a SSH would be a better source then ASH I would be interested as I like the Selekt design.
I sort of would - but it would depend on the 'biscuit tin' being rolled out across the Akurate range as I would like my boxes matched up (Uphorik, Radikal (A), EB-i). My suspicion is that the first hint of this will be a Selekt EB-i. The interesting thing about this would be whether the SEB-i would offer such good a value as the AEB-i. I can see it coming - and then Akurate is likely history. Selekt Radikal will then follow, Selekt Uphorik? Doubt it unfortunately as they will push Urika x instead.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sometime ago somebody asked advice on the forum for a setup on ASH and AEBi vs SSH and AEBi. If I recall correct he went for the SSH on dealer advice because of the SSH being the better component.
That conversation is what I recalled and to which I was referring. I also recall that the answer came from Linn HQ, and it was stated that the improvement was by virtue of Selekt being newer.

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes, I agree.

‘There is nothing wrong with Akurate, and my Akurate system is superb sound quality. 

Another consideration is Akurate casework matches most Linn owners current lineup of kit

Yes, absolutely it is too big a step, and Linn may lose a lot of customers.

‘I think the most telling sign is that their are no Selekt Exaktboxes, or Selekt speakers in Linn’s lineup
All Linn's existing speakers work with Selekt.

But then there's not much point in trying to work out Linn's branding / product placement sometimes. What exactly are they going to call a Klimax DSM/2 with an upgrade to an Organik DAC?  It can't be an Klimax DSM/3 as that's the totally new box.

Ho-hum.

Reactions: Paulssurround

berni

New Wammer
Apr 14, 2021
Germany
AKA
Berni
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That ties in with my thinking about the limited space inside the current Klimax box  - “There are plans to make Organik DAC available as an upgrade…” (my bold) This could be taken as Katalyst will be upgraded to Organik, but you may not get all the other NextGen improvements. Just a thought.

’troll
It seems you are right on that one. I thought I just as well might ask the Linn helpline. Here is the email dialogue, minus the polite bits:

Q: "will there be the possibility to upgrade the current version of the Klimax Exakt DSM aka Klimax System Hub to the new Klimax System Hub (Organik), i.e. a new circuit board for new Organik in the old Klimax Housing?"

A: "The Klimax System Hub does not have a DAC within and as such there would not be an option to offer an Organik DAC fitted into a Klimax System Hub version. We plan to offer at some point in the next couple of years a retrofittable Organik to the previous generation of Klimax DS and Klimax DSM, as these models do already incorporate a DAC."

Q: "From what I understand there is more to the new streamers than the new Organik DAC, e.g. new ADC and new precise clock which also add to the performance of the System Hub. This means that these will not be retrofitted into existing Klimax cases, right?"

A: "The engineer advises that at the moment, there are no plans to offer such a retrofittable upgrade option to the original Klimax DSM System Hub, however, he has noted your request."

Quite a detailed answer, much appreciated. So, no plans regarding upgrading the KSH, but not completely ruled out for the future. I can understand that they want to see how well the new Organik stuff does on the market, which seems luckily very positive, and with the Covid and Brexit pandemics still on their plate, this will not have the highest priority. Maybe we are lucky and in some point in the future they incorporate this. It would make sense that they try to include clock and ADS updates in KDS(M) streamers as well, and an update for the KSH would be a side product. On the other hand, they probably do not want the updated streamers to perform too close to the new ones, given the price difference...

Last edited by a moderator:

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that @berni I didn’t have have any prior knowledge - I was just thinking through the problem. I’m glad that my new Hub is on order. :$

‘troll

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
…On the other hand, they probably do not want the updated streamers to perform too close to the new ones, given the price difference...
It’ll be interesting to hear a comparison between Katalyst KDS/M, an upgraded-to-Organik KDS/M, and the new version, when the time comes. 

Mick

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’ll be interesting to hear a comparison between Katalyst KDS/M, an upgraded-to-Organik KDS/M, and the new version, when the time comes.

Mick
Just reading thru this thread here in July.
I have been through the upgrade to Organik route recently.
I owned an ADS/Katalyst and therefore I had to purchase a KDS/Katalyst to start on the journey.
Bought the KDS with Katalyst and found a big difference in performance between ADS and KDS with Katalyst.There must be superior components in the Klimax case..would make sense!.
Demoed the Organik in my KDS and boy! what a jump in performance.
Placed an order for the Organik board and its sitting in my lounge,it's performance is quite amazing and all the blurb surrounding Organik is not hype!.

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve just recently purchased a Linn Klimax DS3/Katalyst from Cymbiosis.

This was a trade in from a customer against the Linn Next Generation Klimax DSM. I also listened to a DS3/Organik which was also available.

As advised, I went for the Katalyst version, but there is always the option to upgrade to Organik, should I so desire.

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just reading thru this thread here in July.
I have been through the upgrade to Organik route recently.
I owned an ADS/Katalyst and therefore I had to purchase a KDS/Katalyst to start on the journey.
Bought the KDS with Katalyst and found a big difference in performance between ADS and KDS with Katalyst.There must be superior components in the Klimax case..would make sense!.
Demoed the Organik in my KDS and boy! what a jump in performance.
Placed an order for the Organik board and its sitting in my lounge,it's performance is quite amazing and all the blurb surrounding Organik is not hype!.
Yes - I had a dem as soon as it was possible to do so, and got the upgrade. Very pleased with it too!

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve just recently purchased a Linn Klimax DS3/Katalyst from Cymbiosis.

This was a trade in from a customer against the Linn Next Generation Klimax DSM. I also listened to a DS3/Organik which was also available.

As advised, I went for the Katalyst version, but there is always the option to upgrade to Organik, should I so desire.
An excellent upgrade awaits you,of course it is expensive but the end result is a transformation in performance .

Reactions: DiggyGun

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good Morning All,

This thread could be opened up to include simple DS's????

I have literally just bought a UNG/ second hand/ pre-loved Klimax DS/3 Katalyst to replace my Akurate DS/3 Katalyst. It should be arriving on Friday.

In discussion with the Linn dealer off who I made the purchase he expressed a view that Linn might be able to squeeze the new Organik technology in to the Klimax case but did say that the electronics would need to be downsized to do so. It would be ironic if the Organik electronics could only fit the Akurate case - I couldn't see Linn offering the upgrade in such circumstances as a great many Klimax owners would be up in arms???

Looking forward to the arrival of the 'new' streamer. I was very impressed when I heard it up against a Klimax LP12 at Cymbiosis..........

I would certainly like to attend a back to back comparison between the two streamers.

Regards

Richard
Wondering what your situation is now
that the dust has settled around Organik!?.

Here my KDS/Organik is doing sterling service,and very happy I made the jump.

Was on a factory tour on Friday there and Linn are very busy trying to cope with satisfying Organik customers orders and also LP12 production hasn't been higher for years!.

A very clever and innovative decision to put the in house dac into production,I'm sure they will have already recouped a lot of their r & d outlay.

linesrg

linesrg
Wammer
Aug 3, 2019
Aberdeenshire
AKA
Richard Lines
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wondering what your situation is now
that the dust has settled around Organik!?.

Here my KDS/Organik is doing sterling service,and very happy I made the jump.

Was on a factory tour on Friday there and Linn are very busy trying to cope with satisfying Organik customers orders and also LP12 production hasn't been higher for years!.

A very clever and innovative decision to put the in house dac into production,I'm sure they will have already recouped a lot of their r & d outlay.
Under "advisement" I changed the KDS/3 I had for a Klimax System Hub and a 10 channel Akurate Exactbox as it was pointed out to that one set of Katalyst DAC's was redundant.

This made sense at the time but now precludes me getting the Hub upgraded to Organik if I chose to do so. I can't afford the upgrade right now anyway but is a little annoying and I'll have to wait to see if Linn will make the Organic upgrade available for the 10 channel Exactbox.......

Regards

Richard

Last edited:

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Under "advisement" I changed the KDS/3 I had for a Klimax System Hub and a 10 channel Akurate Exactbox as it was pointed out to that one set of Katalyst DAC's was redundant.

This made sense at the time but now precludes me getting the Hub upgraded to Organic if I chose to do so. I can't afford the upgrade right now anyway but is a little annoying and I'll have to wait to see if Linn will make the Organic upgrade available for the 10 channel Exactbox.......

Regards

Richard
In my system, I wouldn't give up Exakt for Organik. I've ranked the Linn technologies' impact on sound quality as; Exakt, Space Optimisation+, DAC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles