The system is the measure of the man (or woman)?

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We don't buy (or 'curate') our end game system at the start of the game, or even have any clear understanding of what the end game actually is, let alone have a plan of how to get there.
I (almost) did. iirc the system I heard in the summer of 1976 influenced my objectives right up until I completed the main system last year. In the meantime I've been collecting what components I could afford but at the same time looking for the "ultimate" components that I said I always wanted. What I didn't have was a coherent plan of how to get there, other than starting with the main source and working through the chain, buy or upgrade the components until the complete system is assembled. So that's been turntable (+arm+cart+psu), phono stage, power stage, speakers. You could argue that what I've got now is dated compared to what other people have but I'm happy.

Reactions: Monitor Gold Ten

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What I would want to knw is what experienced hifi enthusiast (with well put together systems) think about real improvements as regards mixing and matching components. Including items from the last 50yrs or there about.

Is it still about getting the best sound for muzic playback?. Or may be about just liking the sound the system makes. May be just a case of enjoying the process of messing around and enjoying the journey.

Does it get to a point were money becomes a limiting factor to the ultimate sound quality. Is it a case of with ultimately gained experience trying to better expensive systems for less money.

I thought my system was just ok, but after visiting the wam this year turns out I got a very fine sounding system. But that never stopped me from asking questions and listening to systems of people with experience of hifi way longer than me. I actually learnt a thing or 2.

May be it's a case of if the hifi bug bites it's hard to stop. Well I'd say I'm still on my quest to better because I know I could do better. It's always good to have experience hi-fi gurus around but the final decision is made by the listener.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Design...? I wake up at night thinking about how to design what I'm working on.

Dream it sometimes even.
……We need the screens Matron …..and the special reverse fitting coat too 😂😂

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As such it is wrong to "evaluate" someone else's system as it has been put together to please their ears and not anyone else. However visiting others and listening to their systems will allow us to determine what we like or do not and so is a helpful exercise.

I have come to appreciate that people have different perspectives of what sounds right and all we can do is to choose what sounds right for us. I for one do not care what others think about my system as the important thing is me and my family thinks it sounds fabulous and that is all that matters.
In the days when I was involved in car sound systems I had a friend in the trade who when questioned about what was good bass would say "How do you like your steak" I think uzzy got it right, "people have different perspectives" the steak analogy is true not just for bass also true for sound systems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online