Linn Owners

Thiele Tonearm TA01

anatius

Wammer
Oct 27, 2021
That looks to be very well made and needlessly complex.
I feel that Linn have done a disservice to their clients by designing the current Klimax level LP12 to accept only Linn tonearms. Does any one know if Thiele's claim for 0 tracking error has been proven?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I feel that Linn have done a disservice to their clients by designing the current Klimax level LP12 to accept only Linn tonearms. Does any one know if Thiele's claim for 0 tracking error has been proven?
It was never intended as a universal platform though, was it? In the early days a SME3009 series2 was typically fitted, then a Grace, then the first Ittok and cheapo Basik. And so on. IIRC that is.

I can’t imagine the Thiele planning for fitting a Linn, though they claim it fits every turntable that takes a 9” arm. Might be worth asking them If you’re serious?

Of course it’s another matter if you believe zero tracking error solves the issues of LP replay!

Baba Yaga

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2019
Baba Yaga‘s hut
AKA
BY
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Helmut Thiele is a veteran in the HiFi industry and had been working 40+ years for companies such as Thorens (e.g. involved with the TD124DD), Heco, Magnat.
He now developed his own tonearm and a turntable with which the tonearm would partner best. So a rather small boutique shop with a well-known founder…

Reactions: Nopiano

anatius

Wammer
Oct 27, 2021
It was never intended as a universal platform though, was it? In the early days a SME3009 series2 was typically fitted, then a Grace, then the first Ittok and cheapo Basik. And so on. IIRC that is.

I can’t imagine the Thiele planning for fitting a Linn, though they claim it fits every turntable that takes a 9” arm. Might be worth asking them If you’re serious?

Of course it’s another matter if you believe zero tracking error solves the issues of LP replay!
Up until the the introduction of the Keel upgrade I was under the impression you could install any tonearm you chose but with the introduction of the Keel Linn stated that only Linn branded arms could be used. In my case I had to discard a Sumiko 800 tonearm in order to inch my way to Klimax level only to be relegated by the Ekstatic. I assume the Linn decision was made in the interests of optimising the setup process.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Helmut Thiele is a veteran in the HiFi industry and had been working 40+ years for companies such as Thorens (e.g. involved with the TD124DD), Heco, Magnat.
He now developed his own tonearm and a turntable with which the tonearm would partner best. So a rather small boutique shop with a well-known founder…
Thanks for that background. One learns something new every day. Obviously a clever guy! Hard to imagine he’d want to put one in a Linn, especially as he’s responsible for the more stable and quieter Thorens 124DD.

Iain Docherty

Wammer
Apr 21, 2020
Up until the the introduction of the Keel upgrade I was under the impression you could install any tonearm you chose but with the introduction of the Keel Linn stated that only Linn branded arms could be used. In my case I had to discard a Sumiko 800 tonearm in order to inch my way to Klimax level only to be relegated by the Ekstatic. I assume the Linn decision was made in the interests of optimising the setup process.
There are lots of Keel LP12s with Audio Origami arms. A version of the Keel was also made for the Naim Aro. So whilst the design of the Keel makes using non-Linn arms harder, it’s not impossible.

• Thanks
Reactions: anatius

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online