Due for release on the 7th of July. What the gossip on this one then

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:dunno:Might be good, might be crap. I'll probably wait for the reviews before buying it. Hopefully it'll be a corker!

G

I'm not saying i don't get or like Kid A or Amnesiac but something guitar based might bee nice

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Duvet wrote:

I'm not saying i don't get or like Kid A or Amnesiac but something guitar based might bee nice
I loved the first three albums but then they lost it IMO and ventured up their own arses. I'm always ready to be moved by them, I haven't given up yet but I do think it's about time they came back to the path. Maybe Yorke's solo album will be old-style Radiohead but I suspect it may be more weird stuff.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
I saw an article on the BBC website saying he wrote an angry song about that WMD man who 'commited suicide' (keep wanting to say Harold Shipman, but obviously not him
biggrin.png
) - apparently its very angry
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
:?

the interview sounded pretentious, so my guess is the album will be in a similar vein - typical Thom Yorke.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry don't agree. Why make The Bends II or a sequel to OK Computer? They've been there and done that. They are classics and there's no point going over old ground. I think Kid A is magnificent and it's good they constantly explore new ground. Their newer albums sound better now than when they came out because they are ahead of their time and everyone has to catch up (apart from Aphex Twin probably).

I hope this Thom Yorke solo album is very experimental and tries to break new ground. I will be very disappointed if it sounds like the old Radiohead.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
turnitup! wrote:

Sorry don't agree. Why make The Bends II or a sequel to OK Computer? They've been there and done that. They are classics and there's no point going over old ground. I think Kid A is magnificent and it's good they constantly explore new ground. Their newer albums sound better now than when they came out because they are ahead of their time and everyone has to catch up (apart from Aphex Twin probably).I hope this Thom Yorke solo album is very experimental and tries to break new ground. I will be very disappointed if it sounds like the old Radiohead.
I don't want it to 'sound' like old Radiohead, just to be as good as old Radiohead! Anyway "experimental" is all well and good but I prefer the finished article - honed after many months of songwriting. Sven experiments with the England side during friendlies, I want Thom Yorke to deliver a Brazilian World Cup winning performance.
tongue.png

G

Vitriolic doesn't even come. close:D. He lets Muse have both barrels as well but goes easy on Keane.:Not Sure:

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Here's a review by NME.

1. The Eraser. Sampled piano courtesy of Jonny Greenwood , followed by the typically biting Thom Yorke lyric , "Please excuse me but I gotta ask ? Are you only being nice to me because you want something?

2. Analyse. Potential single built round an almost Arabic beat , the most danceable track , similar to Where I end and you begin.

3. The Clock. An urgent , paranoid feel , and also sees Yorke have a go at being a human beatbox. Drawing on similar Radiohead lyrics , the song seems to have a dig at failing politicians towards the end "You may believe you are still in charge"

4. Black Swan. Origins of a sample used by bandmates in 2000 that was never used , Yorke kept and pulled to pieces for this track.

5. Skip Divided. Built around a simple electronic drum loop , Yorke speaks rather than sings the track , Experimental , think Hail to the thief's "A wolf at the door"

6. Atoms for Peace. Named after a speech by Eisenhower in '53 , Yorkes singing over a minimalist drum beat is lyrically less obvious.

7. And it Rained Alll Night. A doomed love song written in America , during a sleepless night for Yorke "New York , air conditioned drains" "the click clack of heavy black trains"

8. Harrowdown Hill. A beauty spot in Oxfordshire , made famous by Dr. David Kelly , found dead in 2003 after being caught up in the Iraqi Weapons of mass destruction row. "Did I fall or was I pushed ?"

9. Cymbal Rush. Built around a wall of Electronica and a soft Aphex Twin piano loop which builds and builds , plans for Radiohead to play this at live shows.

words changed to preserve NME's copyright , so ye owe me a pint or summin towards lawyers fees Duvet,
biggrin.png

chezi.

G

Cheers Chezi. I 'll buy it whatever the reviews sayto be honest.

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
You cannot download this already. I have not heard it already and it does not like sound like an extension of the last three albums...

JJ

G

Well Thom's not going to win anymore new fans over but yes it is inthe Kid A an Amnesiac mold but much more accessible. A very good late night listen. Production values as you'd expect from Yorke and Godrich are extremely high with some excellent close miked stuff amongst the weird electronica that pervades throughout. The album is dark and brooding but the melody isthere. I suspect as with most ofRadiohead's work that lyrically Thom seems one step away from slashing his wrists but with typical British black humour in reality he's probably sitting back laughing his hampton off at us. A thumbs up from Duvester. In fact a big thumbs up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.