Thoughts about upgrading after visiting some wammers homes

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having hosted 25 BOs and greeted over 50 wammers to Lurch Towers, since late 2016 maybe I can give insight from the otherside of the fence (have also attended 10+ at other wammers kennels).
For me the main thing about BOs now is the social side and discovering new music.
However in the early days of my hosting it gave me exposure to kit and sound signatures to help form my desired sound. My kit was lower midrange in 2016, and whilst it sounded fantastic to me and was better than what I'd had in the past I soon discovered it wasn't what I really wanted. Various bits of kit were introduced to my system at my 1st BO (AuroraSound Vida WoW! ) which sent me off down various expensive rabbit holes chasing the level of SQ I now knew was possible. An expensive education, yes, but worth it? Again yes. Infact I continued to ask attendees to bring X or Y for me to Benchmark in my rig. Now the only thing left in my system from that 1dt BO is my BS Node2 (although it's now pimped + DDC and a Jolida DAC). Putting all the upgrades aside, the biggest bonus for me from hosting has been the very close friendships I've formed with several local wammers + the other more casual friendships that have been made. My record/CD collection has also vastly expanded as has my music and kit knowledge.

So from Social event to upgrade ideas and then back to majoring on the social side, has been my experience as a host. I've also found others who've attended have made use of the kit brought along (particularly for the playroom) to assist in their kit changes.
Also many, myself included, can be seen photographing album/cd covers or using Shazam during the day for future purchase.

Last edited:

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What is it with audio note speakers. I don't understand how they are considered so good. Some nasty paper cones and super basic tweeter tech. Urrhh.

On the other hand, there are a few folks here with some very interesting horn systems that I'd like to listen to TBH.
I have to agree, I was fooled once years ago and not now.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having hosted 25 BOs and greeted over 50 wammers to Lurch Towers, since late 2016 maybe I can give insight from the otherside of the fence (have also attended 10+ at other wammers kennels).
For me the main thing about BOs now is the social side and discovering new music.
However in the early days of my hosting it gave me exposure to kit and sound signatures to help form my desired sound. My kit was lower midrange in 2016, and whilst it sounded fantastic to me and was better than what I'd had in the past I soon discovered it wasn't what I really wanted. Various bits of kit were introduced to my system at my 1st BO (AuroraSound Vida WoW! ) which sent me off down various expensive rabbit holes chasing the level of SQ I now knew was possible. An expensive education, yes, but worth it? Again yes. Infact I continued to ask attendees to bring X or Y for me to Benchmark in my rig. Now the only thing left in my system from that 1dt BO is my BS Node2 (although it's now pimped + DDC and a Jolida DAC). Putting all the upgrades aside, the biggest bonus for me from hosting has been the very close friendships I've formed with several local wammers + the other more casual friendships that have been made. My record/CD collection has also vastly expanded as has my music and kit knowledge.

So from Social event to upgrade ideas and then back to majoring on the social side, has been my experience as a host. I've also found others who've attended have made use of the kit brought along (particularly for the playroom) to assist in their kit changes.
Also many, myself included, can be seen photographing album/cd covers or using Shazam during the day for future purchase.
Totally agree about the social side and it’s far more important than HiFi although I am very grateful for being able to listen to your excellent turntable. Hopefully I will be able to visit again at some point in the future.

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From the look of things not alot of wammers in the London area. :unsure: Would be nice to know so I could tag along if wam shows or Bake offs.

Reactions: Lawrence001

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Going to listen to others systems can actually validate you own choices . That's not criticism of those other systems in anyway. I have a dealer friend who I have often gone to for advice when buying second hand as he just has my MO. Never steered me wrong yet . Knowing what ticks your boxes is good but always leave the door slightly ajar .

Reactions: Bodgit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online