Thoughts on the show charity

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whilst the show team have no doubt got this topic covered and will announce something soon, I thought it might be worth getting member/exhibitor input.
From my own perspective I would like to see us adopt a charity with broad appeal (touches the most members) and then stick with it ongoing.
With that thought in mind I would like to see us support something like Macmillan Nurses or CLIC Sargent (Cancer & Lukemia In Children) as these organisations touch all of us at some point be it via family, friends or workmates. I think everyone knows/knows of someone affected by cancer.
Not trying to step on the show teams toes but thought it was worth having the discussion rather than us jumping on the flavour of the month charity.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
True many charities are now run like businesses and the senior management say if you need good people you have to pay the going (private sector) rate. To me, I'd rather have someone who was competent with their heart in the right place (and accepted a reasonable salary) than some ball crunching sales/revenue oriented CEO dick from the private sector (or new style charity sector career executive). But maybe I'm old fashioned.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...And I'd never donate to a charity run that way.

When I get stopped by a chugger (who's usually employed by some private sector sales company on commission) I always say, I'm happy to discuss the charity with you now, and if you give me their details at the end I'll do some research and make a donation, but I never sign a direct debit in the street, they make their excuses and move on. So are they really motivated to get donations for the charity they are representing?

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a basic problem in that the Charities Commission have to try hard to identify the scammers amongst the masses. With limited quite resources.

Good governance costs. Good Non-Executive directors are had to recruit (I am one, in my case pro bono).
Good chairs are even harder to find.

Would I donate to a charity without strong governance? Not in a 1 million years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/official-report-criticises-former-trustees-of-kids-company(set up in 1998)

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We of course are looking at Charities but the feeling is this year we want the show to have a more localised connection .

Last edited:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We of course are looking at Charities but the feeling is this year we want the show to have a more localised connection .
A we will all be travelling and gathering in Stoke and spending a little time there plus we all would like to be able to return in the future for further shows it would not only be very good but also very seen to be good for the show to support a local charity to the show . In many cases it is the smaller local run on a shoe string charities that need the help and deserve the help as they almost never have large well paid staff and can not afford to have professional fund raisers and so need the money more and make better use of it .

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think this is a great idea, local charity and community projects would be the perfect way to give something back in return for the opportunity we have been granted to pursue our hobby / passion. So which Wam members are from the Stoke area and can tell us what sort of projects are going on and need support? Anything from activities for local disadvantaged children, to homeless shelter, food banks, community green spaces like allotments and co-operative gardens, support for victims of domestic abuse, there must be dozens of things we could get behind

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great idea. Loads of good charities out there. Not quite sure how their CEO's justify £180.000 pa though and they pay a lot to professional fundraisers. My vote is for the one with least greedy management...
They justify it because they are better at raising millions than anyone else. Off topic as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: JANDL100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles