• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Townshend Isolda Speaker Cable - any good?

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Hi

I have some QED XT3/400 and am very happy with my rig. I have been looking at tweaks like interconnects (going to try some Chord Anthem in a bit over the VDH) but am intrigued by speaker cable at the moment.

I have done some reading about the Townshend Isolda and it looks quite good but also expensive - is it worth it in my rig - I could do with some opinions and maybe alternatives.

I'm not sure what I would change in the system - I like the soundstage and highs but am sometimes disappointed by the bass when listening to R&B etc.

Thanks in advance guys
biggrin.png

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
Gobhind - send Penance a PM - he mentioned to me that he has 2 x 6m runs to sell at a very reasonable price.

By all accounts it is a very good speaker cable!

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I use the Townshend spkr cable and the balanced I/c.from cdp to pre and pre to monos

Very good in all respects.

Suspect you would have to pay a lot more to better it. No discernable sonic signature.

Previously used Audio Note silver ANSPx (next to top of range) capable of bi-wire. At least as good as running that single wire and close to the mark if AN was shotgunned. with the AN perhaps having the edge.

Last list price from1998 for AN was £450 .50 per mono metre .

Someone on here is selling some Townshend. Buy it.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
erm, sort of - had a few issues with my last sale and felt it prudent to change it in case of any ill feeling. Still mulling it over - and there will probably won't be many items in the near future, but if there is a next time, hopefully there should be no confusion over my motives.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
I've got Isolda and it's excellent. I managed to pick it up a year or so ago at a very good price and due to the fact it's so good, gets excellent write-ups and is very pricey, I don't ever feel the need to change. It has better highs than typical copper cables and excellent lows.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Biscuit wrote:

erm, sort of - had a few issues with my last sale and felt it prudent to change it in case of any ill feeling. Still mulling it over - and there will probably won't be many items in the near future, but if there is a next time, hopefully there should be no confusion over my motives.
Sorry mate I missed that thread (me and my wellies again!).

Don't worry about it chap its all part of the fun - my advice is choose a brand and a few products and stick with it for a while (that was a big investment chap!) while you learn the ropes - lot to be said for cables whilst learning (not meaning to patronise, just how I started out).

Now back to these Isholda - how come they are so bloody expensive
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

P

purplepleaser

I was told to buy the isolda as it was a forget purchase by Yoda's audio guru and a few local dealers.

Expensive once but thats it. I will be honest and say that it was the first and only speaker,i.c purchase.

May be not the best in the world but people will argue differently but i will not argue.

Lee:D

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
Excellent cable the Isolda, if buying second hand make sure there are no 'serious' kinks in it (bought damaged second hand pair myself once). IMO Franks Sonnet sounds just as good.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
supercapman wrote:

Excellent cable the Isolda, if buying second hand make sure there are no 'serious' kinks in it (bought damaged second hand pair myself once). IMO Franks Sonnet sounds just as good.
Thats an amazing feat, especially if you take the huge difference in price on board!

Steve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 18, 2005
Staffordshire
AKA
Steve
Isolda is very good cable.

Chord Anthems are good interconnects except that the terminations are shite. I was running two pairs of them in my system a couple of years back. I ended up swapping them for something cheaper and better...

Talk to Mr. Coherent on that score.

Steve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 18, 2005
Staffordshire
AKA
Steve
You have a £300 interconnect with theterminations of a freebie. Not the best contact that just happens to dampen dynamics slightly. Eichmann bullets are far better, preferably silver.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Steve wrote:

You have a £300 interconnect with theterminations of a freebie. Not the best contact that just happens to dampen dynamics slightly. Eichmann bullets are far better, preferably silver.
Hmmm.......Dave have you read this? i bet you agree!!

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I had some. Interesting.  Sounded very good. Not the very best I've heard; some of the better Black Rhodium like the S300 sounded better in my system. They are also a bit awkward physically. On the good side, they are dead neutral.  

Something like Acrolink are in a different class. 

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
As with all cables, it is best to try out first.  However I have used Isolda speaker cable for 15 years and find it excellent in most applications comprehensively besting other cables I have tried from Nordost, Tellurium, Supra, DNM  and no doubt others I have forgotten.  It offers bass response, treble purity and soundstaging in a different league to other cables I have tried.

The only caveat in some applications is it can be not as obviously 'pacey' as some other cables, a trait that only becomes apparent in systems a little lacking in dynamics.  In these few cases I have substituted Nordost which is rather lightweight and artificial in comparison but emphasizes the leading edge in comparison to most cables.

You can of course contact Townshend directly as they usually let you audition their products on a no obligation basis.  And if you attend one of the UK hi-fi shows they exhibit at, they offer a 20% discount.

Last edited by a moderator:

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive paid Graham a couple of visits in the last few months and I thought the Isolda was doing a very good job (as far as one can tell). He substituted the Nordost Flatline he refers to above on my most recent visit and the Isolda was different class. (Personally, I would take Graham's comments about its lack of pace with a pinch of salt - G has a penchant for rock music and this leads him into favouring pace over other criteria imo. He wont mind me saying this btw..)

You were going to try the Tellurium Black again Graham - did you do that?

Jack NSM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kengxx