"Transitional" composers from Romantic to Modern

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
Can anyone provide some examples of composers/works that straddle the Romantic and Modern (or whatever came after the Romantic period) periods?

For example, like Monteverdi with Renaissance to Baroque, or CPE/JC Bach with Baroque to Classic, or Beethoven's second symphony with Classic to Romantic.

Would Schoenberg (and Verklarte Nacht) be a good example?

I'm just asking as I love hearing the blend of periods and styles in the artists mentioned above, but it occurred to me I haven't (knowingly) heard much in the later period.

Thanks,
Josh

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, there's many different directions one could take.  Certainly there are the Second Viennese School composers and one could look at the evolution of the music of, say, Schoenberg.  OTOH, one could look at Impressionism and Neoclassicism as well.  Even within Neoclassicism, there are different directions within that used by, say, Erik Satie ( @Le Baron  can tell you all about that xD ) and, say, Stravinsky.

@Le Baron mentioned a recording yesterday with music for string quartet by Kreisler, Zemlinsky, and Schulhoff.  The latter two are composers whose careers certainly evolved from Romanticism of the Brahmsian style in the case of Zemlinsky and late Romanticism in the case of Schulhoff into things much more modern.  If josh is looking for a specific example, compare Zemlinsky's String Quartet No. 1, Op. 4 (which was not his first string quartet, but ignore that for now ;) ) to something such as his String Quartet No. 4, Op. 25.  It's quite a change over a short period of time from the same composer. 

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's an interesting comment about the performance style of Brahms' works.  Klassik has a boxset of Brahms' symphonies and piano concerti conducted by Harnoncourt and performed by the Berlin Philharmonic and it's certainly a rather different, leaner performance of Brahms than what is typically the case if nothing else. 

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can anyone provide some examples of composers/works that straddle the Romantic and Modern (or whatever came after the Romantic period) periods?

For example, like Monteverdi with Renaissance to Baroque, or CPE/JC Bach with Baroque to Classic, or Beethoven's second symphony with Classic to Romantic.

Would Schoenberg (and Verklarte Nacht) be a good example?

I'm just asking as I love hearing the blend of periods and styles in the artists mentioned above, but it occurred to me I haven't (knowingly) heard much in the later period.

Thanks,
Josh
I think Mahler and early Schönberg are good examples. Also consider Petrushka by Stravinsky, Soledad and Oblivion by Piazzolla, Chiaroscuro for Violin and Orchestra by Kancheli. Philip Glass retains Romantic elements in some works, such as his Violin Concertos.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd suggest:
Debussy - Preludes, La Mer, Pelleas et Melisande

Ravel - Piano Concertos, La Valse, Gaspard De'La Nuit

Stravinsky - Rite of Spring (nothing was going to be the same after it - its the real start of the thing after Romanticism). Later neo classical works such as the Violin Concerto, Symphony in 3 Movements - described as if an extra-terrestrial read a book on Beethoven symphonies, and tried to write one having never heard one!

Janacek - String Quartets, any of the later operas, Sinfionetta

Sibelius - 3rd Symphony: neo-classical before the term was invented. Symphonies 4-7 all move to something beyond romantic. 2nd is very transitional, especially first two movements.

Bartok - there's a huge distance between the dark romantic expressionism of Duke Bluebeard's Castle or the Miraculous Mandarin ballet(1912) and the rhythmic spikiness of his later works - especially the piano concertos and the string quartets. mellowed a bit later on.

Prokofiev - 1st symphony (1917) is another example of neo classical. 2nd symphony (1920s) tries to depict the machine age and brutalism (and fails - even Prokofiev disliked it himself!). 1st and 2nd violin concertos are a huge contrast but both masterpieces. 2nd & 3rd piano concertos are essential.

if your tastes run to opera, maybe Richard Strauss too - Elektra (1911) for its expressionism, the later operas continued in a more overtly romantic vein with strong nods to classicalism.

Schoenberg's Gurrelieder is impressive as it took him so long to write that it starts as grand late romantic and ends in his new world of atonalism and Sprechstimme...... but after that the 2nd Viennese school was a dead-end that led to an even worse dead-end of post 1945 Avant-Garde that managed to almost completely alienate the audience from classical music... something of a tragedy that most people today think modern classical music is just weird noise and beard scratching... and I blame Boulez and Stockhausen. Of Schoenberg's school, Berg wrote some worthwhile things, especially his Violin Concerto which some people say sounds like a romantic violin concerto with the wrong notes!

Reactions: tuga