Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have some tubes in my Jolida Dac, everything has been fine until the other evening, I switched the system on, started to play some music, very distorted then crackling, so tried a different track, same thing, there was no noise when music not playing.
So put in another Dac, SS, no problem. Switch tubes in Jolida, no problems, played several hours. Today, I thought I would give the first tubes another go, this time they played without any issues, only tried for a few minutes.

Any ideas what is going on?

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have some tubes in my Jolida Dac, everything has been fine until the other evening, I switched the system on, started to play some music, very distorted then crackling, so tried a different track, same thing, there was no noise when music not playing.
So put in another Dac, SS, no problem. Switch tubes in Jolida, no problems, played several hours. Today, I thought I would give the first tubes another go, this time they played without any issues, only tried for a few minutes.

I'd say they are on their way out . Like most hifi kit they like to give you hope before the fall.

Reactions: m7rso

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Valves might misbehave, then start behaving properly after being moved. After that they may behave correctly for a random length of time then fail again when you least expect (or need) it. @DUVET is right. Have some replacements at the ready, and pray that when they fail, they don't take any other components with them (@rabski is that likely?)

Fourlegs

WAVE Digital Cables
Wammer
May 5, 2014
Melton Mowbray
www.wavehighfidelity.com
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

It might just be the valve sockets. It is a good idea to periodically take the valves out and reinsert to make sure there is a good contact.

Or it might not be that at all.

Reactions: m7rso

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It might just be the valve sockets. It is a good idea to periodically take the valves out and reinsert to make sure there is a good contact.

Or it might not be that at all.
Thanks, but the contacts are very tight, so I doubt it would be that. I do swap them over from time to time.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tight doesn't necessarily mean free of surface corrosion. There are nine pins there, so also 'tight' doesn't necessarily guarantee all of them are tight. It's worth cleaning the valve pins with a bit of fine sandpapaer (lightly).

It's a DAC, so the valves in the gain/buffer stage will be running relatively 'light' and the voltages and currents mean that even a drastic fail is unlikely to do any indicental damage.

Generally, a small signal valve failing will either be rapid and permanent (and obvious), or a gradual degradation. Distortion and crackling that stops when you swap valves around does suggest poor contacts, and that's not at all unusual. I'd give 'em a good clean and then keep an eye (ear) on it.

Worst comes to worst, you've got spares.

Reactions: StingRay and m7rso

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Put them in, take them out, in out in out, shake them all about. I do that intermittently..not shaking..

Reactions: Fourlegs

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I always recommend a fibreglass pencil for cleaning metal. Works like a charm. I use it all the time, especially cleaning metal before soldering. Useful on valve pins. For sockets you could use interdental brushes with acetone maybe. I don't usually bother.

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/10191/fibreglass-pencil-4mm/dp/SABU10191?st=fibreglass pen
Good shout that.

Incidentally, I have a (possibly irrational) personal hatred of so-called contact cleaners. Especially spray ones. Anything capable of chemically removing corrostion has no place near some other components, and a lot that I've seen leave a residue that ends up actually collecting dirt and debris.

Maybe a tiny bit of deoxit on a cotton bud in valve sockets, but best of all, just use something dry to clean.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tight doesn't necessarily mean free of surface corrosion. There are nine pins there, so also 'tight' doesn't necessarily guarantee all of them are tight. It's worth cleaning the valve pins with a bit of fine sandpapaer (lightly).

It's a DAC, so the valves in the gain/buffer stage will be running relatively 'light' and the voltages and currents mean that even a drastic fail is unlikely to do any indicental damage.

Generally, a small signal valve failing will either be rapid and permanent (and obvious), or a gradual degradation. Distortion and crackling that stops when you swap valves around does suggest poor contacts, and that's not at all unusual. I'd give 'em a good clean and then keep an eye (ear) on it.

Worst comes to worst, you've got spares.
OK thanks, I will have a close look at them and clean them up. Yes I have spares but these are the most expensive pair and almost impossible to replace now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.