• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Tubular Bells I, II , Or III

Steveh

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2007
Darkest Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMHO, I think Tubular Bells II is a stunning album, much better than Tubular Bells. There is, of course, a Tubular Bells III, of which my favourite track is "Windchimes". The live performance of Tubular Bells II (from Edinburgh castle) is a superb recording(naturally by the BBC).

What do other whammers think?

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
My younger brother was 16 in 1978 and therefore totally into Punk while I had my hair down to my arse and was totally into Floyd and dope. I bought Tubular Bells when it came out in '73 and thought it pretty cool.

He recently told me that he feels he must be getting old as he sat down and listened to DSOTM for the first time ever in it's entirety and enjoyed it. 'Don't think I have changed that much' he said 'Most of what you listen to is still hippy shit, and I will never ever listen to that pretentious crap Tubular Bells'

I listened to it recently and I think our musical tastes are slowly converging, he is starting to like Floyd and I have realised that Tubular Bells is basically a pretentious load of shite that would never get recorded now.

It happens regularly, if an artist is popular and starts believing their own press, and the record company reckon it will sell they will record it. Much as I love Blue Train and stuff he recorded with Miles Davis, A Love Supreme by John Coltrane falls into the same category.

All IMO of course!
smile.png

Not the easiest question to answer, in many respects my early interest in musicand the need to be able to listen to it clearlyowe a great deal tovinyl copies of 'Tubular Bells' and 'Ommadawn'.It is a recording that I used faithfully during my first steps on the great Hi-Fi ladder, becoming a key recording against which I would judge (subjectively) the measure of equipment that I listened to.

I still listen to it, but I've become increasingly disenchanted with the recording and withMike Oldfield. I've grown tired of the numerous 're-workings' and 'improvements'that have been provided with each subsequent release bearing the 'Tubular Bells' name - and with the continued re-workings found in his work not bearing that name.

155:)

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It was used to great effect in The Exorcist. Not sure I'd sit and listen to it though.

B

batman

got the first one on sacd and do,nt think ive listened to it all the way through ... not really my cup of t or it could be a case that i was expecting too much...won,t buy the others

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I feel that unless you're listening to a good version of the first one that you are wasting your time.

A

A.N.

2 is my fave, but 3 is a close second. agree, the concert in eddy castle is superb, although gordon-sinclair looks a twat doing the voice.

should of had the big yin instead!

Steveh

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2007
Darkest Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A.N. wrote:

2 is my fave, but 3 is a close second. agree, the concert in eddy castle is superb, although gordon-sinclair looks a twat doing the voice.should of had the big yin instead!
Agree, although my choice would have been Sir Patrick Moore, after he'd guested on the xylophone/glockenspeil! Imagine that, and I think he would have been a popular choice!

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
kennyk wrote:

have to confess that I prefer 'Amarok' to any of the Tubular Bells albums that I've heard. not got III yet, though.
I can let you have an evaluation copy of III before you decide
wink.png

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
Have first 3 and number 2 is my fave,although 1 does have Viv Stanshel,so still gets played occasionaly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zymaze