• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Turntable break in

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I believe that anything with moving parts is going to bed in, carts and speakers up to whatever many hours depending on what they are with an audible difference, how ever small or large. Things like turntable motors and bearings, you probably wouldn't notice and it wouldn't take very long. My turntable sounded on point straight out of the box and although used, well who knows how it "sounds" because it's dependent on 3 million other factors, kit, cart arm etc

Reactions: Colinjg

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd only thought of stylus/cart/tonearm cable break/burn in before but is it possible that initial use could benefit a TT mechanically? Any roughness in the spindle/bearing(/motor even?) could be worn down (more likely at the budget end)
From an owners' manual:

"The Model 30/2 precision turntable is partly run-in before leaving the factory but will further benefit from the first few weeks of use. Do not worry if initially the bearing is not totally silent. A slight ‘swish’ barely audible at very close range in a silent room will quickly disappear if the machine is left running continuously, one month is recommended."

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All I know is I sent one of my Decca's off to be retipped .. that requires a new armature so in effect a new cartridge (think new cantilever and suspension in a MM or MC cartridge) .. when it came back I slotted it in in place of its identical brother that is half way through its life and ,,, no difference to my ears.
Perhaps they change a bit in time or perhaps they don't ... I have to say I very sceptical that there is any "major" change and as for the "subtle changes" one has to ask, is it a change or our ears just getting used a different cartridge or arm etc.

karma67

Wammer
Feb 16, 2019
brighton
AKA
jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From an owners' manual:

"The Model 30/2 precision turntable is partly run-in before leaving the factory but will further benefit from the first few weeks of use. Do not worry if initially the bearing is not totally silent. A slight ‘swish’ barely audible at very close range in a silent room will quickly disappear if the machine is left running continuously, one month is recommended."
leave it running for 1 month! christ how tight are the bearings when new?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mx2one