• To directly access the forum, ensure your bookmark url includes /forum.

Turntables

G

FunkV or Tecnodec?A grand is about right,already have a Dino+ and a standard RB300,got a buyer for a P3 and a Fonz 30,with SME 3009 improved.Not interested in a 2nd hand Linn or a 2ndhandanything for that matter!Just looking for a deck to play the old Rush and Supertramp L.P,s,that her indoors will not call ugly.Felt the Fonz was past its best,its donkey's years old [and ugly!]even though its still a good[ish] listen,the 3?well its a P3,looking for something a notch or two up,considered the arm getting Michelled and returned to the P3,to much faffing for me though. cheers

M

murray johnson

I might consider a tricked out Technics 1210 with a Funk Achromat, Origin live rega style armboard, rega type arm, Origin live Isonoe feet and an uprated power supply from Kabusa. Another way of doing it anyway!

A

adam

Both are very good,I'm going to be doing the funk soon,looking forward to that.The clearaudio decks are very nice to,simple to set up,and very attractive.

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
Ant wrote:

Spacedeck.
agreed
tongue.png

demo`d the gyrodec and spacedeck. very close but spacedeck was more musical (imo) and was more open and fluid, and has a bombproof construction, plus it looks like pammys rude bits.I lusted after one as soon as i heard it, and thought it cost waaay more than it actually is.

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Funk V is nice...

so is the Spacedeck...

..so is the tricked out Technics

so much to choose from....sure i saw a hyperspace go for less than a grand last month.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having listened to both the Funk and the Technodec I'm going to rather controversially say the Michell deck would my preferred choice - and yes maybe I am a bit biased owning an Orbe.

I've owned 2 Michell decks now, both have been superb, reliable, well made and the support from the company is excellent.

The Funk seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment in the hifi rags and it is verygood but I'm not convinced about the build quality although the use of new materials is interesting. I well remember the shoddy build quality of several of the Pink Triange decks in the past and although the Funk doesn't appear to have a lot to go wrong on it - these things stay with you.

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
griffo104 wrote:

I've owned 2 Michell decks now, both have been superb, reliable, well made and the support from the company is excellent.
I've had a gyrodec and now have an Orbe and could'nt agree more with Griffo.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would either go for a technodeck or a Rega P5, I heard the techno and the gyro with the technoarm and a dyn 10 x 5 at the same dem, the gyro did some things better, but I thought the technodeck got the feel of the music better. Not as airy and sound stage was not as big, but it just seemed to flow and drive in a more involving way. (other than the deck everything else was the same- arm/cart/phono stage/amp/speakers)

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dudywoxer wrote:

I would either go for a technodeck or a Rega P5, I heard the techno and the gyro with the technoarm and a dyn 10 x 5 at the same dem, the gyro did some things better, but I thought the technodeck got the feel of the music better. Not as airy and sound stage was not as big, but it just seemed to flow and drive in a more involving way. (other than the deck everything else was the same- arm/cart/phono stage/amp/speakers)
I'd agree with Dudy here totally - spot on with his summing up of Technodec Vs Gyro. The Technodec was amongst the last things John Michell designed before his (very) sadpassing and just shows how good a designer of turntables he really was. A very sad loss to the hifi world.

The P5 is also worth a go - I'vea P3 in my Southend system and I'm still surprised at how musical it sounds, again simple, nothing to go wrong and another hifi company who treat their customers well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawuschel