Linn Owners

Tweaks, peace and love

Ron.P

Wammer
Jan 28, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The most frustrating aspect of these kinds of discussions is the claims made from a point of ignorance: I have not tried the X you are suggesting, but based on my one time experience with Y (not X), it can’t possibly work. As well, made by those who never audition a product in their own system.

There is often a fallback argument made by the contrarians regarding “expectation bias”. Would they not have the same preconceived bias when they actually do audition something? “This is likely shite, but I will give it a listen” is a good set up for closed ears under the guise of “critical listening”.

Why even comment on someone’s suggestion if you have not tried it in your own system?
How about those who are glued in place by their analyzer or meter that tells them what they will hear.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about those who are glued in place by their analyzer or meter that tells them what they will hear.
Seems to me that being fixated on measurements in HiFi products is like studying the specs of a car without driving it.

I would rather be in the drivers seat, driving and experiencing the car, enjoying the thrill of the ride 😊

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
UK
AKA
Nestor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is a Naim streamer better than a Linn streamer?
Not in my opinion- take Mac mini; add Chord DAC; sounds better than Naim ND555. Some ND555 owners upgrade with Chord DAC. Add Chord DAC to Linn ADSM I lose Space Optimisation. Without SO I’d choose Chord, with SO Linn. I’ve only compared with Katalyst. I’ve heard great sounding Naim fronted with non-Naim source. Nait is superb - my mistake was listening to advice from their forum and moving to separates with noisy SuperCaps.

I’m not a big tweaker especially with cables. I’ve tried boutique cables from Chord Company and AudioQuest and couldn’t get on with them. Linn supplied cables work for me. When I need extra cables then Canare (analogue), BJC & Connectix (digital) work better for me than those from hifi outlets.

No issue if somebody spends £10,000 on a cable, but I do have an issue with a marketing department making false claims and trying to trick a consumer in to buying an expensive cable. I often read “but have you tried it”, well no not able to and don’t want to spend much time listening to cables. I’d ask those who use this challenge: have you tried Canare, Connectix or HP switches. Having worked on projects where low RFI/EMI was essential, I can say these are low noise. I realise to make a bespoke switch in small quantities is expensive, but it’s beyond me why anybody would spend effort developing a low noise switch and stick a linear PSU on it. I’m not advocating a cheap wall wart PSU, but well made HP switch with internal SMPS near your router and another small HP switch with Power over Ethernet near your streamer. If you don’t believe this will outperform a £2k boutique switch then I ask: have you tried it.

I am going to try the glass alternative on my Naim Fraim as recommended on another thread.

So tweak if you want to tweak and don’t forget the ioniser; when I purify the air in my lounge or music room my musical enjoyment increases.

Last edited:

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not in my opinion- take Mac mini; add Chord DAC; sounds better than Naim ND555. Some ND555 owners upgrade with Chord DAC. Add Chord DAC to Linn ADSM I lose Space Optimisation. Without SO I’d choose Chord, with SO Linn. I’ve only compared with Katalyst. I’ve heard great sounding Naim fronted with non-Naim source. Nait is superb - my mistake was listening to advice from their forum and moving to separates with noisy SuperCaps.

I’m not a big tweaker especially with cables. I’ve tried boutique cables from Chord Company and AudioQuest and couldn’t get on with them. Linn supplied cables work for me. When I need extra cables then Canare (analogue), BJC & Connectix (digital) work better for me than those from hifi outlets.

No issue if somebody spends £10,000 on a cable, but I do have an issue with a marketing department making false claims and trying to trick a consumer in to buying an expensive cable. I often read “but have you tried it”, well no not able to and don’t want to spend much time listening to cables. I’d ask those who use this challenge: have you tried Canare, Connectix or HP switches. Having worked on projects where low RFI/EMI was essential, I can say these are low noise. I realise to make a bespoke switch in small quantities is expensive, but it’s beyond me why anybody would spend effort developing a low noise switch and stick a linear PSU on it. I’m not advocating a cheap wall wart PSU, but well made HP switch with internal SMPS near your router and another small HP switch with Power over Ethernet near your streamer. If you don’t believe this will outperform a £2k boutique switch then I ask: have you tried it.

I am going to try the glass alternative on my Naim Fraim as recommended another thread.

So tweak if you want to tweak and don’t forget the ioniser; when I purify the air in my lounge or music room my musical enjoyment increases.

This is exactly what this forum should always look like: other point of view, agreement and disagreement, questioning… but open to discussion. Thanks for this message.

I will follow your quest for a glass alternative on the Naim Fraim, with interest 😊

wildwildWes

SciLinntologist
Wammer
Jul 24, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think a lot of the tweaks on here are interesting, I celebrate everyone's sound quality gains, and I hope I have the opportunity to try them in the future. I believe that many improvements can be heard without blind testing and each man ultimately has to trust his own judgement. But if you're not blind testing (and I know that isn't always easy to do), then I'm going to find the claims less credible. This shouldn't be an offensive statement and isn't meant to be. Hearing is believing.

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just changed to a £6.50 Ethernet cable between ASH - AEBI Katalyst and I’m stunned how good it now sounds to me !! It was a recommendation from somewhere can’t remember where and for that price I’m not worried about comments I’m just a happy bunny 😊 Enjoy your tweaks and systems guy’s 👍

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer Plus
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never been a 'tweaker'...I tend to spend more time evaluating any gear I fancy..
Forums like PF & the WAM I find useful for getting other folks impressions.
Once I do settle down and purchase something I tend to be happy and stick with it ...