Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hope established forum members will excuse this question by a new warmer.

I’ve gone back through threads on this forum for the last 12 months but can’t find a similar question.

Quite simply, I’ve recently upgraded my DAC to a Schiit Modius ( from a Modi 3). The Modius has Schiit’s “Unison USB” - (I sort of understand what this means) - and I’m quite keen to continue using the USB from my Pi4 streamer.

The last thing I want to do is to cause a wide ranging debate about whether expensive cables can ever be regarded as VFM, so I’ll try and ask a more specific question.

Have any fellow members used an Audioquest Cinammon or Carbon USB/micro usb cable in their set up and noticed a worthwhile improvement in SQ when compared to the cost (£70/£100)?

Thanks for any guidance even if it’s only “don’t spend your money on a new cable”.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From experience: It isn’t hard to change the sound of a USB connected device. But my guess is a lot of the work Schitt have done has been to improve that interface and make it less easy to influence. In that instance I would look at users of the DAC in question rather than users of the cable in question because it is the DAC that matters. So see what other DAC users or better still the manufacturer recommends. 

Reactions: Cool Dude Ted

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don’t waste your money on a new cable.

The Modius is a decent design, 

https://www.******************.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-modius-balanced-dac-review.13769/

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Strider

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Supra make a well constructed USB and make their own wire so it is a high value product and for me, it is a step up from the generic cables you see coming from China.

Reactions: MotherSky

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Will it improve the sound quality from a certified USB cable George, being a ‘step up’?

Keith

tIANcI

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2019
Malaysia
AKA
Wilson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve tried some expensive USB cables that cost over £1k. Compared them. I hear a difference but it’s so mild. ROI is very very little. I’m still happy to stick with my £3 USB cable. 😬

Cool Dude Ted

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don’t waste your money on a new cable.

The Modius is a decent design, 

https://www.******************.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-modius-balanced-dac-review.13769/

Keith
Thank you for the reply. Appreciate your thoughts. I’ve also had a look at the link which makes interesting reading. Certainly enjoying having the Modius in my(fairly basic) system, albeit its only been in situ 2/3 days. I really must stop buying DACS, it’s bordering on (obsession/insanity or something similar) - this is my fifth this year. And if a Rega DAC R  comes up at reasonable price it possibly won’t be my last. Stuart

Last edited by a moderator:

Cool Dude Ted

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2020
Gloucestershire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Supra make a well constructed USB and make their own wire so it is a high value product and for me, it is a step up from the generic cables you see coming from China.
Thanks for the reply. sadly, Supra don’t seem to make anything under 1 metre long. Stuart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles